ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 596 of 3903
« First < 96496546586592593594595596 59759859960060664669610961596 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
neech 08:37 PM 03-21-2020
Most all the apartments have rather small refrigerators and freezers, they can’t really stock up as much as a typical home owner unless they bought lots of canned food and such.
[Reply]
TLO 08:41 PM 03-21-2020
The DHSS in Missouri didn't update the number of people tested in Missouri tonight.

Does anyone know why? Or can anyone find some numbers on the amount of people they've tested?
[Reply]
SupDock 08:42 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
This is one of the most rational posts I have seen in days regarding this topic. This entire situation has reminded me how over emotional our society has become. We are basically all teenage girls at this point.

The course of action I would have taken (I stated this weeks ago) would be to isolate the known at risk portion of our population and let the rest go about their business and develop immunity.

I would even have the government subsidize the endeavor. 25 years old but have respiratory issues? The govt will mandate that you are allowed to either work from home or get paid leave and will compensate you and your employer accordingly. I would also be fine with the govt offering some assistance to anyone else who CHOOSES to self quarantine.

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, fuck 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the clusterfuck we are attempting now.
Interesting

What percentage of our population is at risk?
Obese, diabetic, hypertension?

What do we do with at risk healthcare workers?
Where does the at risk population go when they get sick (not Covid)

What are we doing with at-risk teachers, or are we closing schools?

Where do we isolate these people?
[Reply]
eDave 08:43 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
I can’t say that I’m totally excited about all the financial government instance that comes with this plan but, I’d take it all day long over our current “plan”.

And yes, we have become a nation of teenage girls. *shudders*
There are three basic instincts that drive human behavior. One of them is self preservation.

Our main concerns for self preservation are:Stressors are:To cope with it all we do the following:
Not a teenage girl thing.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:50 PM 03-21-2020
This is one of the most rational posts I have seen in days regarding this topic. This entire situation has reminded me how over emotional our society has become. We are basically all teenage girls at this point.

The course of action I would have taken (I stated this weeks ago) would be to isolate the known at risk portion of our population and let the rest go about their business and develop immunity.

I would even have the government subsidize the endeavor. 25 years old but have respiratory issues? The govt will mandate that you are allowed to either work from home or get paid leave and will compensate you and your employer accordingly. I would also be fine with the govt offering some assistance to anyone else who CHOOSES to self quarantine.

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, **** 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the cluster**** we are attempting now.
With the amount of people in the at risk group you would still be isolating a large portion of the country , and taxing the healthcare system.

They made a decision with the info they were getting, and seem to be escalating rather quickly as more info/data comes in which probably means that data is not great.
Is it the the right choice who knows but most would chose the lesser of two evils with info at hand.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:52 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Its good you apparently like what you do but I think that is a sad way to go thru life.
Who said I like what I do? I don’t. And I’d wager most aren’t especially crazy about their jobs. Unless an individual is born into a billionaire family jobs are essential for the existence of most people. Some may be able to exist a bit longer than others with out but, ultimately they do have to go back to work to continue existing.
[Reply]
Fish 08:58 PM 03-21-2020

Yes, there will be people who are at risk and decide not to follow precautions. If they do so.... well, fuck 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE.

I know my "solution" is far from perfect but it's a massive step up from the clusterfuck we are attempting now.
It's not as if these decisions weren't made with those things in mind. Our government isn't damaging the economy for no reason. We're taking action based on what's already worked and what has not in other places. And these decisions are being made by the best health experts in the world. Decisions are not being made on emotion, but experience and expertise as they should be. We're just out of pain free options, and " fuck 'em. That was THEIR CHOICE." isn't really a valid consideration when making decisions that could affect the lives of thousands of Americans.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:03 PM 03-21-2020
This entire situation has reminded me how over emotional our society has become. We are basically all teenage girls at this point.
As I stated earlier today, I went out shopping for groceries and went to three Ralphs supermarkets and two Super Targets.

I didn’t see even one instance of people acting like “teenage girls”. People waited in line outside, six feet apart, as to properly Social Distance. Once we were allowed to shop, there was no hysteria, no one running like mad through aisles, no one acting out. People were acting completely normal, minding their own business and shopping.

When I came home, my street was packed with people walking, jogging and cycling towards Lake Hollywood. There was far less Social Distancing but people were acting normal.

I’ve been getting reports of friends and families furloughed, laid off and losing jobs altogether and in every instance, I haven’t heard one person tell me that we as a society are overreacting. People are trying to figure out what’s next but there hasn’t been any hysteria, yet.

The biggest test will come 30 days from now...
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:06 PM 03-21-2020
BossChief called this during the Proterozoic era
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:11 PM 03-21-2020
Here is a local story of a nurse here in Clinton that got it from their first COVID patient. All her tests are failing but was given plaquenil.

Originally Posted by :
On March 8th I took care of patient who was later tested positive for COVID and in critical condition. I started having severe headaches and a fever a week later. I did not have a cough or sore throat. My temperature stayed around 99.2-99.8. My first COVID test was negative. I started to feel worse with chest pain and shortness of air. I was instructed to go to gvmh to get checked out. I felt like I was breathing through a small straw and knew I would get tuckered out and may stop breathing. What is interesting was my vital signs were ok. My oxygen was 92-94 on 2 liters of oxygen the entire time

As I was in a tripod position gasping I refused to be intubated despite the doctor's recommendations. I was told My chances would be better if I was on the ventilator. My white count was low and I had ground glass opacities on my lungs. All signs pointing to COVID even though my test is negative. It was a long ambulance ride to st lukes. I was so scared I would end up on the venitlator.

I was in the ICU for a few hours before I was moved to a COVID unit. I have been having fevers, headache and chest pains. But it feels so good to be able to take a full breath. I don't think I even realized how short of air I was before. The infectious disease doctor wanted to try to give me an antimalarial drug called plaquenil. I had a bad reaction, out of body experience then I went unresponsive. I recovered just fine after the medication wore off. I have had another dose and did just fine. I have been having fever at night and started coughing today but not much of a cough. But, I feel alot better. I hope I get to come home soon. My second test came back today and it is negative for COVID again! The doctors are shocked and running a third swab for testing.

[Reply]
AustinChief 09:15 PM 03-21-2020
Everyone keeps talking about hospitals being overrun. That is not a foregone conclusion, especially now that we likely have an effective treatment.

OK, enough bitching about the hyper emotional decision making up to this point... let's talk about the future.

What if the following scenario played out...

On Monday doctors nationwide start prescribing HCQ+azithromycin to patients testing positive for Covid-19. (I am not saying all doctors are mandated to do so but a significant number begin to adopt this treatment plan)

Our supplies of both hold up (this is actually likely given how readily available both are) The US also ramps up production ( and taps into strategic stockpile and military supplies) to meet any upcoming need.

After 6 days, 80%+ of all treated people are virus free.

At what point would you support lifting all the mandated restrictions and just issuing advisories and continuing Federal support for testing and recovery (both economic and medical)?

If this plays out, I can not see ANY excuse for not lifting restrictions by April 1.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:17 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Is it overkill at this point if drastic measures were taken to the level of:

Suspend all air travel
All interstate travel is shut down
Require all non essential businesses to suspend business
Encourage everyone to stay at home
Ban all groupings of a certain amount of people
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
BossChief called this during the Proterozoic era
I was hoping to get responses about how much that response would have caused the nation in other ways. Obviously it wouldn’t have been a perfect response at the time, but with alterations/tweaks, it would have been very effective.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:19 PM 03-21-2020
Everyone keeps talking about hospitals being overrun. That is not a foregone conclusion, especially now that we likely have an effective treatment.

OK, enough bitching about the hyper emotional decision making up to this point... let's talk about the future.

What if the following scenario played out...

On Monday doctors nationwide start prescribing HCQ+azithromycin to patients testing positive for Covid-19. (I am not saying all doctors are mandated to do so but a significant number begin to adopt this treatment plan)

Our supplies of both hold up (this is actually likely given how readily available both are) The US also ramps up production ( and taps into strategic stockpile and military supplies) to meet any upcoming need.

After 6 days, 80%+ of all treated people are virus free.

At what point would you support lifting all the mandated restrictions and just issuing advisories and continuing Federal support for testing and recovery (both economic and medical)?

If this plays out, I can not see ANY excuse for not lifting restrictions by April 1.

Whooooooooole lot of bargaining going on here.
[Reply]
AustinChief 09:21 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Whooooooooole lot of bargaining going on here.
How so? Most of what is posted is completely plausible. Please give me specifics you take issue with.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 09:21 PM 03-21-2020
Like every other plague or outbreak in history, infections and death will not keep growing exponentially. It's impossible. Both will inevitably reach a point where they start to trend down and things return to normal. It is the measures we take to speed up that downturn that will tell how quickly normal returns. It's all explained much more eloquently in the linked article below. This is a good read. No need to read it all. There is a lot you already know, but definitely worth your time...and who doesn't have time to kill right now.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine...9-1b767def5894
[Reply]
Page 596 of 3903
« First < 96496546586592593594595596 59759859960060664669610961596 > Last »
Up