ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Independence Center brawl
Deberg_1990 09:15 AM 12-28-2020
:-)

From the KC Star's Trey Williams. Police break up fights involving hundreds of teens at Independence mall https://t.co/i9b6NlJaB4

— Joyce Smith (@JoyceKC) December 28, 2020

Independence police called on parents Saturday evening to pick up their kids from Independence Center after multiple large disturbances and fights broke out causing the mall to close early, police said.

In a post on the department’s Facebook page, Independence police said, “If you left a child (under 18) at the Independence Center, come get them now. This is at the request of mall management.”

According to Independence police public information officer John Syme, multiple disturbances and fights involving several hundred teens occurred around 5:30 p.m. The incidents forced mall security to close the mall early, around 6:30 p.m.

Ten individuals were arrested and cited for disorderly conduct, endangering the welfare of a minor, interfering with police, assault on a law enforcement officer, and false information, Syme said in an email.

Six of those were adults and four were juveniles. Four of the adults were parents or grandparents of some of the juveniles who were charged.

Multiple agencies were involved, including the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and the Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit and Kansas City Police Departments, Syme said.

Independence police have previously said they have experienced issues with minors causing disturbances at restaurants, businesses and entertainment venues at Independence Center.

Police, along with mall management and local groups, instituted a 9 p.m. curfew for minors, which began Nov. 26.

The curfew is every night and ends at 6 a.m. in the area between 40 Highway on the south, 39th Street on the north, Little Blue Parkway to the east and M291 Highway to the west.

The city said that the curfew is strictly enforced, and that parents of unaccompanied juveniles will be issued citations.

Independence city officials said when announcing the curfew that an uptick in incidents this year prompted the curfew.

“We have had incidents at various businesses, restaurants, entertainment venues, shopping areas and parking lots throughout the region,” Independence Police Chief Brad Halsey said in a news release in November. “In all of these incidents, minors have been causing disturbances, affecting the flow of traffic, and negatively impacting the experience of others visiting these venues. This has diverted police attention from other areas of the community requiring additional presence to protect the patrons and businesses in this area.”
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:52 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Hmm....Well, when all your customers have left from fear of (a) getting the daylights beaten out of them or (b) shot at in the parking lot - well, there isn't much left rather than to close the doors.

Unless mall management and the local cops get their act together, closing is a distinct possibility, wouldn't you agree? :-)
The Police are always parked in the lot. They have been on the scene and made arrests. Not sure how it is their fault.

Mall Management- yes, they need to step it up.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:51 PM 01-04-2021
Looks like the curfew has been moved up to 3pm for those under 17.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:54 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Looks like the curfew has been moved up to 3pm for those under 17.
Isn't there school? So they've essentially banned kids except weekends?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:01 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Isn't there school? So they've essentially banned kids except weekends?
Let's be honest those kids arent going to school all fingers point back to the parents but we cant do that because we are no longer a society that believes in responsibility
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:33 AM 01-05-2021
Let's be honest those kids arent going to school all fingers point back to the parents but we cant do that because we are no longer a society that believes in responsibility
But they are all misunderstood teens. They have trauma and need to do whatever they want. They need more restorative justice.

/sarcasm
[Reply]
notorious 07:47 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
But they are all misunderstood teens. They have trauma and need to do whatever they want. They need more restorative justice.

/sarcasm
Thank goodness it’s not your problem anymore.
[Reply]
scho63 07:55 AM 01-05-2021
If I lived in the town, I would open a store in the mall called "Boxing Center" and let everyone who wants to fight come in and charge the other kids admission.

BOOM- problem solved! Win win
[Reply]
CoMoChief 08:05 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Agreed. Indoor malls are one of mankind's greatest inventions. I want them to remain so I have someplace to walk in the winter when I get old.
My dad used to do this...until Independence Center became a hot trash dumpster.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:00 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Thank goodness it’s not your problem anymore.
I am in class now. ..

I left a list of 3 things for the kids to do. They are doing them and being good and working.

This is what school should be
[Reply]
BWillie 09:16 AM 01-05-2021
Most parents these days just give excuses to why their kid is a shithead. It's the schools. It's the tv. It's the video games. It's the government. On and on.

I don't have any kids because I know I'd be a shitty parent. That is the first step. Tons of people who don't want the responsibility, but they do it anyway.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:01 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Most parents these days just give excuses to why their kid is a shithead. It's the schools. It's the tv. It's the video games. It's the government. On and on.

I don't have any kids because I know I'd be a shitty parent. That is the first step. Tons of people who don't want the responsibility, but they do it anyway.
When parents screw up and look in, they push all their resentment out, and blame others.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:06 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
When parents screw up and look in, they push all their resentment out, and blame others.
They do and in my opinion to many people become parents. How many people of the general population become parents? 95%? It should be more like 60%. Not everyone should have kids. That is the sad truth. If you value your hobbies and your freedom, don't have kids. Don't have kids just because society says you should, and be a shitty parent.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:18 AM 01-05-2021

This goes a lot of different ways, schools and psychologists have gotten way over involved in parenting and coddling really. When I was a kid if I fucked up I got the shit smacked out of me, these days they expect when your kid fucks up that you should hug them and tell them it's ok.

Society in general turned children into these little cult objects that should be worshipped and coddled and it's created a real problem.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:20 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
This goes a lot of different ways, schools and psychologists have gotten way over involved in parenting and coddling really. When I was a kid if I ****ed up I got the shit smacked out of me, these days they expect when your kid ****s up that you should hug them and tell them it's ok.

Society in general turned children into these little cult objects that should be worshipped and coddled and it's created a real problem.
Yeah I think that is good and bad. There isn't a one size fits all. Some kids will take advantage of that and become lazy and/or act out. Some kids need the coddling to succeed. Others need the scolding. I think the one size fits all approach is not the best method.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:22 AM 01-05-2021
Yeah I think that is good and bad. There isn't a one size fits all. Some kids will take advantage of that and become lazy and/or act out. Some kids need the coddling to succeed. Others need the scolding. I think the one size fits all approach is not the best method.
But this is why you see the serious issues with some kids these days, there aren't any serious punishments anymore.

This to me is where it starts, when I was in school if I didn't turn something in on time it was a zero, now they can turn shit in late as hell and get credit, it just teaches them they don't have to follow any guidelines.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up