ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Schwartz and Remmers both have back injuries
RunKC 03:28 PM 12-13-2020
Damn. I’m worried about this. It sucked losing Schwartz but now Remmers with the same injury.

I pray to God we get at least one of them back
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:22 AM 12-14-2020
It looks like we're going to have an extra 3 and an extra 4 if Bienemy gets a HC job right?

I'm cool with using those two picks for 2 OL.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:05 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Right now it looks like KC is going to have 6 picks in rounds 1-4. I think they’ll be in position to trade back from #32 and turn that into 7 picks.

With the depth of this draft being OL in general, I think we see them grab 2 guys even if they don’t trade back and maybe even 3 if the board falls correctly.

1) A Day 1 starter-caliber C or G
2) Swing tackle who could play LT (there are a lot of developmental guys in those rounds that could become LT starters with a year or two of good developmental work)
3) Another G type

Fisher is a known quantity and good LT with a few years left in the tank, and Allegretti has played pretty well. I’m confident RT will either be Niang (with Schwartz retiring) or a healthy Schwartz. If Schwartz retires, that frees up a bunch of cap room you could spend on a veteran RG to help solidify things - if LDT also walks away (I honestly think he’s going to do that).

To sum: Yeah, the OL needs an injection of talent. It’s going to get it, and there are multiple ways to make that happen.
:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:12 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Right now it looks like KC is going to have 6 picks in rounds 1-4. I think they’ll be in position to trade back from #32 and turn that into 7 picks.

With the depth of this draft being OL in general, I think we see them grab 2 guys even if they don’t trade back and maybe even 3 if the board falls correctly.

1) A Day 1 starter-caliber C or G
2) Swing tackle who could play LT (there are a lot of developmental guys in those rounds that could become LT starters with a year or two of good developmental work)
3) Another G type

Fisher is a known quantity and good LT with a few years left in the tank, and Allegretti has played pretty well. I’m confident RT will either be Niang (with Schwartz retiring) or a healthy Schwartz. If Schwartz retires, that frees up a bunch of cap room you could spend on a veteran RG to help solidify things - if LDT also walks away (I honestly think he’s going to do that).

To sum: Yeah, the OL needs an injection of talent. It’s going to get it, and there are multiple ways to make that happen.
I think there's a chance they get a starting quality guard in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't think it will be a center unless somebody falls - they seem to like Reiter.

Niang is the swing guy. He can play tackle and guard and they had him slated to be the backup inside at both guard spots.

I just hope people are prepared to come out of the draft with maybe 1 starter, possibly not even that, and a couple of training camp guys.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:15 AM 12-14-2020
I feel like there's a weird disconnect in this offensive line argument.

I'm not saying we needed to do more last offseason necessarily; covid opt-outs and injuries are what are causing the current situation in which we have an undrafted rookie playing RT right now.

I think back injuries in 300 lb. guys around 30 years old aren't likely to get better.

I think we have THE generational QB, and would like to keep him upright and throwing bombs to Hill for the next several years and hoisting Lombardis.

So, I think while there's nothing we can really do about the offensive line right NOW, I think it's time to probably place a little higher priority than we typically do on the line this offseason.

I don't see why that's controversial. I mean how can you really argue against that?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:17 AM 12-14-2020
ALSO-

I think Alegretti may well be the long term answer at LG.

I think that Durant can get more functionally strong althoug he's not likely to get 'quicker'. So he could bump inside and maybe be a better RG.

Niang looks like a natural OT to me.

If you get better at OC that might work. But you can't just plan on that, too many unproven pieces.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:23 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I feel like there's a weird disconnect in this offensive line argument.

I'm not saying we needed to do more last offseason necessarily; covid opt-outs and injuries are what are causing the current situation in which we have an undrafted rookie playing RT right now.

I think back injuries in 300 lb. guys around 30 years old aren't likely to get better.

I think we have THE generational QB, and would like to keep him upright and throwing bombs to Hill for the next several years and hoisting Lombardis.

So, I think while there's nothing we can really do about the offensive line right NOW, I think it's time to probably place a little higher priority than we typically do on the line this offseason.

I don't see why that's controversial. I mean how can you really argue against that?
It really depends on how much you want to spend. We have two of our top 4 WR's that won't have contracts after this year. We need depth at TE potentially. Depending on Williams' status, they may need another RB. They have a SIGNIFICANT need at DE opposite Clark and they'd be wise to start looking at investing in possibly cutting him loose after 2021 if his play doesn't improve. They have need at LB and potential need at CB with guys coming off contracts.

The cap is not going up. In fact, it appears that it's probably going DOWN next year. This team wasn't going to have much cap space to begin with, now they'll probably have to cut just to get under.

You can't just take 3 or 4 offensive linemen in the draft. They have too many needs. Taking 1 or 2 is fine. Any more than that means another area doesn't get addressed at all and guess what happens then?

Yeah, 40 million threads about that position group sucking because "fucking Veach didn't do anything".
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:29 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It really depends on how much you want to spend. We have two of our top 4 WR's that won't have contracts after this year. We need depth at TE potentially. Depending on Williams' status, they may need another RB. They have a SIGNIFICANT need at DE opposite Clark and they'd be wise to start looking at investing in possibly cutting him loose after 2021 if his play doesn't improve. They have need at LB and potential need at CB with guys coming off contracts.

The cap is not going up. In fact, it appears that it's probably going DOWN next year. This team wasn't going to have much cap space to begin with, now they'll probably have to cut just to get under.

You can't just take 3 or 4 offensive linemen in the draft. They have too many needs. Taking 1 or 2 is fine. Any more than that means another area doesn't get addressed at all and guess what happens then?

Yeah, 40 million threads about that position group sucking because "****ing Veach didn't do anything".
You and I are in agreement. I think you can nab OG's or C's in the 2nd or 3rd (r even 4th) that are starter-quality. History says so. Other teams are straining to find playmakers thus devaluing the fatties.

I'd like to get 2 somewhere in the draft, because of the cap situation. Of course, it's entirely possible that Schwartz is done and LDT decides not to come back too, and that would help the cap situation while it hurts the O-line situation.

I don't see how Watkins is going to get a big money deal anywhere; he's proven that he cannot stay healthy a full season. I'll bet he takes a team friendly deal and returns.

D-Rob is a fine 4th WR, but nothing that Pringle isn't, IMO. This is not a crucial spot.

I see DE and O-line as our biggest current needs for immediate upgrades. A WR isn't going to play a whole lot in year one in this offense anyway; so a mid-round project is cool.
[Reply]
O.city 09:30 AM 12-14-2020
If LDT and Schwartz retire or whatever, take that money and go spend it on a LG. Put NIang at RT.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:36 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You and I are in agreement. I think you can nab OG's or C's in the 2nd or 3rd (r even 4th) that are starter-quality. History says so. Other teams are straining to find playmakers thus devaluing the fatties.

I'd like to get 2 somewhere in the draft, because of the cap situation. Of course, it's entirely possible that Schwartz is done and LDT decides not to come back too, and that would help the cap situation while it hurts the O-line situation.

I don't see how Watkins is going to get a big money deal anywhere; he's proven that he cannot stay healthy a full season. I'll bet he takes a team friendly deal and returns.

D-Rob is a fine 4th WR, but nothing that Pringle isn't, IMO. This is not a crucial spot.

I see DE and O-line as our biggest current needs for immediate upgrades. A WR isn't going to play a whole lot in year one in this offense anyway; so a mid-round project is cool.
Watkins is going to get more money than he's worth. Honestly, I have no tolerance for guys that can't play because they're always hurt. I'd rather move on.

Robinson is almost certainly going to be too expensive to keep. I know everybody hates him but the simple fact is that we see this happen all the time with guys like Steven Nelson and Chris Conley. They're not going to be able to afford to keep him because some team is going to offer him money we shouldn't.

People are often too focused on starters. This team is going to be quickly gutted of depth at several positions if they don't draft it. The cap is going to be tough next year.
[Reply]
bobhill 09:45 AM 12-14-2020
I think its just time to move on from all the older guys
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:43 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Watkins is going to get more money than he's worth. Honestly, I have no tolerance for guys that can't play because they're always hurt. I'd rather move on.

Robinson is almost certainly going to be too expensive to keep. I know everybody hates him but the simple fact is that we see this happen all the time with guys like Steven Nelson and Chris Conley. They're not going to be able to afford to keep him because some team is going to offer him money we shouldn't.

People are often too focused on starters. This team is going to be quickly gutted of depth at several positions if they don't draft it. The cap is going to be tough next year.
I think you're right on Watkins; but he's a difference maker when he does play, and I think the spotty track record of that makes him continue to stay here on reasonable deals.

I think you're right on Robinsons too; but as you said with Conley and Nelson-have we missed either? I don't think so. I think Pringle's ready for a bigger role, and there won't be much drop-off.

As for depth, yeah, totally. Good thing we have the best young GM in the game. :-) He's really found some hidden gems and I see no reason that won't continue. This draft this year is going to be weird, but I feel like we'll handle it better than most.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:54 AM 12-14-2020
If we move on from Watkins we need to replace him. That's either a high draft pick or relatively expensive FA. Hardman doesn't just move into the spot.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:02 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
If we move on from Watkins we need to replace him. That's either a high draft pick or relatively expensive FA. Hardman doesn't just move into the spot.
This team is going to be drafting WR’s almost every year anyways as they should.
[Reply]
In58men 11:15 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
This team is going to be drafting WR’s almost every year anyways as they should.
I agree, we’re not going to pay Mahomes over $500 million to put shitty talent around him.

Round 1 Chris Olave
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:18 AM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
If LDT and Schwartz retire or whatever, take that money and go spend it on a LG. Put NIang at RT.
Niang spent his entire college career at Right Tackle...
[Reply]
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up