ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Schwartz and Remmers both have back injuries
RunKC 03:28 PM 12-13-2020
Damn. I’m worried about this. It sucked losing Schwartz but now Remmers with the same injury.

I pray to God we get at least one of them back
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:35 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Over the planned starting lineup before injuries and COVID.

Let’s put it this way - the person people want replaced most is Wylie. I bet he’s back and starting.
Either Wylie or Reiter will be replaced. The coaches would know which is the weakest link; it sure looks like both are below average, but it's possible that one is making the other look worse than they are.

I'm doubtful that Schwartz will be back at all. That alone would be two spots.

Even if LDT comes back and takes that RG spot, I doubt Wylie takes LG from Alegretti. Nick has looked better then Wylie ever has.

So that's still two by your count.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:36 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah unfortunately I gotta disagree with htis here, I'm thinking 2 new starters as well
If they're veterans, then maybe I can see two new starters. But I don't think there's a chance in hell that Reid starts two rookies on his offensive line to start the season, unless they're just devastated by injuries before the first game of the season.

I really doubt he throws out a rookie at the center, RG and RT positions. Maybe Right Tackle, if Schwartz has to retire and maybe at Center, if they decide to move on from Reiter but I can't imagine a rookie center, rookie RG and rookie RT to begin the season.

And considering they'll need to restructure several contracts and cut some guys just to make the cap, the idea of any big time stud free agent offensive lineman is a pipe dream. If anything, it'll be more guys like Remmers. On the wrong side of 30 and on the down side of their career.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:37 PM 12-29-2020
And I expect Niang and perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be able to win spots from what are by all accounts not great players in there.

I'm pretty sure we'll have two upgrades and perhaps even 3.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:37 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There’s more to it than just the line. Some of his decisions were just flat bad, and it wasn’t because of pressure.

Look, I get that everybody wants them to overhaul the line. I would love to see it, too. But it’s not going to happen. People are going to be really disappointed if they think next year is going to be 2 or 3 new starters.
There were rumors we were looking at taking Ruiz in the draft and wanted to sign Peat in FA. We also took Niang in the draft. Reiter is in the last year of his contract. Schwartz can’t be depended on.

To think Veach isn’t going to throw resources at the OL after seeing its impact on his golden child, isn’t realistic.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:38 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If they're veterans, then maybe I can see two new starters. But I don't think there's a chance in hell that Reid starts two rookies on his offensive line to start the season, unless they're just devastated by injuries before the first game of the season.

I really doubt he throws out a rookie at the center, RG and RT positions. Maybe Right Tackle, if Schwartz has to retire and maybe at Center, if they decide to move on from Reiter but I can't imagine a rookie center, rookie RG and rookie RT to begin the season.
Probably correct.

But re-signing Wiz if he's healthy is one spot, for example.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:42 PM 12-29-2020

And considering they'll need to restructure several contracts and cut some guys just to make the cap, the idea of any big time stud free agent offensive lineman is a pipe dream. If anything, it'll be more guys like Remmers. On the wrong side of 30 and on the down side of their career.
Reids track record would indicate you're right about a rookie starter, but there are always pro ready guys to be found in the 3rd (we both agree thats the sweet spot for O line)... so I'm hoping that guy can buck the trend

Then for my second guy, it would almost certainly have to be a FA vet, and if not that then technically Niang would be the second "new" starter

Of course I could be wrong, and we'll see how it plays out... but its hard to imagine them just standing pat with this collection of no names and retreads
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 02:44 PM 12-29-2020
One thing I have noticed recently is that when Mahomes has a ton of time and a clean pocket but no one is getting open, he starts to panic a little and his feet get stuck in the mud sort of and his throws aren't as accurate.

I think he's just lost a little confidence in the OL and is hearing footsteps even when they aren't there. I think the time off is gonna help everyone get their minds right and get back in sync.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 02:54 PM 12-29-2020
As I mentioned earlier, it's pretty clear that he's been pressing in recent weeks.

He hasn't been taking the easy yardage and has instead, been firing balls downfield, some of which haven't even been close to the mark.

It appears that he's in a bit of a rut, so some time off will do him some good.
This was my thought all game long.....I mean, it looked like they could have taken all the underneath stuff all day long....and easy 5-6 yards a pop, with the added bonus of play-makers getting opportunities to get YAC

But we kept trying to throwing the ball downfield for the most part.

I was wondering if, for whatever odd reason, the Chiefs were using this game like training camp.....let's see how or if the downfield plays work against these soft zone looks. Let's figure it out now, because we're likely going to get the bye, so let's experiment with live reps and find some plays that we can go to if we need them.

I mean, I totally admit it's a silly thought, but I cannot really explain it otherwise.....it was almost too concerted of an effort to keep going deep when they didn't need to.....
[Reply]
O.city 02:56 PM 12-29-2020
Mahomes pocket presence has really struggled this year to me. He tends to get jumpy. Is that because of the pressure or anticipation of it, I dunno.

But he's definitely had some trust issues with the OL. He also presses and tries to score on every play sometimes. Just take whats there.
[Reply]
Toad 02:56 PM 12-29-2020
As much as Andy likes continuity, the circumstances may force him to start 3 new OL next year:
Reiter: UFA and may get an offer elsewhere that he can’t refuse
LDT: So hard for an elder player (30?) to take a year off and return
Mitch: Even older (31?) with bad back is a recipe for retirement
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12-29-2020, 03:04 PM
This message has been deleted by Chris Meck.
RunKC 03:05 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I seem to remember the line was getting their shit wrecked until midway through the 4th quarter in the Super Bowl. If your plan is to let the opponent tire themselves out then that's well and dandy, but there ain't much room for error doing that.
49ers DL may end up being the best pass rush up front that Patrick ever plays. A pass rush unit of Bosa, Armstead, Buckner and healthy Ford is not likely.

We still scored 31 points
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:13 PM 12-29-2020
On next year's cap, we have:

Fisher, Schwartz, LDT, Rankin, Niang, Alegretti, and Durant.

Schwartz retires.

LDT comes back.

Re-sign Wiz, Kilgore and Remmers.

Draftees and Niang need to beat them to start.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I just don't think those guys are even close to being any type of answer.

Wiz will be 33 years old, Kilgore can't protect in Pass Pro and Remmers just done. The guy can barely move and has been destroyed by opposing defenses all year long.

I think it's more likely that some of the Practice Squad guys like Daryl Williams will be elevated to the 53 because at least he's young and has some mobility.

They'll probably draft a few offensive lineman, one of which may see some playing time and the other being a project like LDT or Allegretti but the rest will be rounded out by Vet Min veterans because they can't afford to drop $6-$10 million on a guard or tackle.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:17 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
On next year's cap, we have:

Fisher, Schwartz, LDT, Rankin, Niang, Alegretti, and Durant.

Schwartz retires.

LDT comes back.

Draftees and Niang need to beat them to start.
Honest question, maybe I've missed something... but why are so many people talking about LDT coming back, has there actually been smoke about that?

I would personally prefer to just move on and upgrade that spot, he did great for a 6th round guy from a Canadian college... but yeah I'd rather just upgrade
[Reply]
OKchiefs 03:18 PM 12-29-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
49ers DL may end up being the best pass rush up front that Patrick ever plays. A pass rush unit of Bosa, Armstead, Buckner and healthy Ford is not likely.

We still scored 31 points
I don't think that's a recipe for consistent success. And while it may not be to the exact same level as the 49ers, we saw New Orleans bring a similar amount of pressure just a couple of weeks ago. And as we've seen, even when the pressure isn't actually there it's causing Mahomes to bail. Don't you think the $500 million man would like to see an investment at the position?

I mean, even before the Super Bowl we saw him get dinged up early in the season and his play declined for a while before the fluke knee injury against Denver, and we've seen him start to get hit a lot again. Why would anyone be against giving him the type of line Aaron Rodgers has in Green Bay?
[Reply]
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Up