ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2907 of 3903
« First < 1907240728072857289729032904290529062907 29082909291029112917295730073407 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:55 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Apparently.

I'm just saying for the people who say we screwed up and should have just isolated the elderly and at risk - apparently that was not an option that was ever going to fly in the US. It doesn't seem like any other country has tried to do that either.
Besides the politics, it is extremely hard to both isolate and care for the elderly.

Are you going to put assisted care workers in a bubble ?

Stop doing all the routine health care that the 70+ age population needs?
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:12 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This is an incredible article that answers so many questions I had about immunity and transmission. Thanks.
Yeah I thought it was one of the best articles I have read during this whole pandemic. Functional immunity sounds like what we might have with some waning thrown in.
[Reply]
TLO 07:12 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
1394 a week ago today. Safe bet we'll come in under that number today.
By about 100. Not bad.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:12 PM 08-25-2020
But CASES!!!
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:50 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It isn't due to social media at all. Social media is a symptom. The real disease goes much deeper but it's not something that can be discussed here.

You're spot on about the numbers though - a majority of the young people I work with feel worthless. They may manifest that in depression but some of them also manifest a sort of hedonism that if they're worthless, so is everybody else, so it doesn't matter if I hurt them to get what I want.

Social media is absolutely a causal factor in that age group’s high instances of depression and anxiety. It’s not unique to them but that age range is the first to truly grow up on it and start reaching adulthood.

Using feelings of worthlessness, those come from a variety of sources but one major one is constantly and obsessively comparing yourselves to others via social media and feeling as if you must be worthless in comparison due to consuming idealized versions people put out and not adequately deciphering that what you see isn’t reality. This isn’t new as girls comparing themselves to models of impossible standards has long been an issue for young girls. But now it’s much more persistent and reaches all ages and sexes in varied and different ways.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:57 PM 08-25-2020
Got my antibody results today and I do have antibodies for COVID.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:11 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Got my antibody results today and I do have antibodies for COVID.
Billay won't have to take the vaccine then .just pump him full of LewLoad.
[Reply]
Pants 09:15 PM 08-25-2020
So I now have my own SARS2 story I can share.

Earlier this month, both my parents contracted this thing. They are doing fine and their experience, thankfully, has been very much uneventful so far.

Still, there's some anecdotal stuff in there which some may find interesting in this thread.

On Sunday, 8/9, my parents had their best friends over for dinner. They have been hanging out with this couple all throughout the pandemic despite my numerous attempts to convince them otherwise.

During this dinner, nobody was exhibiting any symptoms and everything seemed normal.

The next day (Monday), the lady developed a fever and started coughing. She immediately got tested and got a positive COVID-19 result.

She informed my parents ASAP. They began taking a shit ton of zinc and continued this for a couple more days. My mom said they had to stop because the taste would just persist in their mouth at that point. I'm guessing they probably ended up taking way too much, but I have no actual idea.

On Tuesday, both the lady's husband and her teenage daughter (freshman in college) became symptomatic. Both got tested and got negative results. Clearly that was incorrect (they later got retested and were confirmed positive). It was the same testing center and hopefully others aren't as bad but that's still a bit discouraging. I mean, I can see one being wrong. Both of them being wrong is just... ugh.

Anyway.

The husband had a legit fever and felt very fatigued. The daughter had a low grade fever, a sore throat, and was very sleepy. She remained very sleepy for a number of days. Like she slept and slept and slept.

That same Tuesday, my dad developed a low grade fever (in the 99's). He got tested that day and was confirmed positive the following day. His test was the nasal swab kind. Note: my dad has Type 1 diabetes and is 61. Type 1 is the shitty autoimmune kind that is not reversible and is not caused by obesity or bad diets. Your body basically attacks the cells responsible for creating insulin or something like that. Hammas can explain it, I'm sure.

On Wednesday, my dad began coughing a bit.

On Thursday, my dad's cough worsened but was still pretty mild.

On Friday, my dad's low grade fever was gone. The mild cough persisted.

On Saturday, my mom went to get tested. She was completely asymptomatic. At the urgent care where she went for the test, she was told she was wasting resources by getting tested because if her husband tested positive, it was a given she would be positive too. Note: my mom is 55 and is on a low dose blood pressure med and some thyroid medicine.

On Tuesday of next week, my mom (still asymptomatic on the 8th day after exposure) got her test result back. She was positive. She got tested for the antigen, which means it's 99%+ accurate if it comes back positive.

Today, my dad went back to work. My mom, who never ended up developing any sort of symptoms is going back tomorrow.

Again, pretty uneventful and I am very grateful. I hope they are out of the woods at this point.

Another fucked up thing was that my mom followed her job's COVID-19 procedures by calling the established hotline the day she found out she was exposed. She was told to don a mask and come to work. She was like "what in the actual fuck?" Her actual boss naturally told her to stay the fuck at home for at least two weeks. Given, that was before she got an official positive result, but that is still so irresponsible and dangerous. Just completely blows my mind.

In conclusion, they must have contracted the less dangerous strain. They probably got relatively low viral loads that Sunday because the friend was pre-symptomatic so there was no coughing or sneezing. Zinc may have actually helped too? I don't know.

Naturally, the first week was really scary for me. Fuck, I am just ready for the vaccines to be done so we can all breathe a little easier.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 09:34 PM 08-25-2020
Thank you for sharing, Pants.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:38 PM 08-25-2020
Good stuff, Pants. Glad to hear it was easy for them.

The "allowing/requiring" people to return to work quickly, without following guidelines, is all too common. Definitely doesn't help slow the spread with poor policies like that.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:48 PM 08-25-2020
Thanks for sharing Pants and very glad your family is ok
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:12 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Good stuff, Pants. Glad to hear it was easy for them.

The "allowing/requiring" people to return to work quickly, without following guidelines, is all too common. Definitely doesn't help slow the spread with poor policies like that.
There's a place here that's in trouble for not letting them leave in the first place, let alone forcing them to come back too early.
[Reply]
O.city 07:23 AM 08-26-2020
It was a mandatory 2 weeks off for us wary but Were now at “10 days post first symptom and with no more symptoms you can come back”
[Reply]
O.city 07:36 AM 08-26-2020
The collective thought at the time is that you’re the most contagious the 48 hours before symptom onset
[Reply]
lewdog 07:48 AM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It was a mandatory 2 weeks off for us wary but Were now at “10 days post first symptom and with no more symptoms you can come back”
This is how it should work. I had 7 days of symptoms but went back to work on day 10.
[Reply]
Page 2907 of 3903
« First < 1907240728072857289729032904290529062907 29082909291029112917295730073407 > Last »
Up