ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 361
« First < 678910 111213142060110 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 02:19 PM 12-05-2015
Originally Posted by aturnis:
It was my understanding that they were landing at Cape Canaveral, and the reason was to avoid the "moving target" that was the barge. I'd imagine they'd have less turbulent winds also.

This isn't to say they've given up on barge landings, but with the B.O. landing, and the willy nilly nature of public perception, no matter how wrong, the pressure is on.

They'll probably perfect landings on land, then move to the slightly more difficult barges.
You could be right. I'm pretty sure that the long-term hope is that they can basically take off and land from the same place so that they can just roll it off of the landing pad and into a hangar to re-check and re-fuel, but no clue what the constraints are that they're working through between now and then.

I do have to think that landing in a place with lower winds and more room for error has to be easier at least.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:49 PM 12-15-2015
Not that I think a ton of you are anxiously looking for the webcast tonight, but it was bumped back to the 19th in the evening. I'll bump this an hour or so before because I'm a nerd.
[Reply]
Squalor2 10:01 PM 12-15-2015
did you see see the same launch?
[Reply]
eDave 10:12 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not that I think a ton of you are anxiously looking for the webcast tonight, but it was bumped back to the 19th in the evening. I'll bump this an hour or so before because I'm a nerd.
If I may, can you bump it like way before? I would have missed this tonight as this is my goto spot for launch talk and I was busy with the dorks in DC.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:24 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by eDave:
If I may, can you bump it like way before? I would have missed this tonight as this is my goto spot for launch talk and I was busy with the dorks in DC.
Sure, I'll try to remember to give you a heads-up. Launch window is open for 3 hours (8:25-11:25 p.m. EST) on the 19th (Saturday).
[Reply]
DaFace 10:25 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Squalor2:
did you see see the same launch?
Huh?
[Reply]
eDave 10:26 PM 12-15-2015
Sure, I'll try to remember to give you a heads-up. Launch window is open for 3 hours (8:25-11:25 p.m. EST) on the 19th (Saturday).
^ Gentleman and a scholar.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:32 PM 12-18-2015
I don't really want to bump the thread every time there's some insignificant news to report, so I added a box to the OP that I'll update from time to time with the latest news. If you ever want to know what's up, search for the thread.

But for now, I'm bumping it because eDave wanted to know about the launch scheduled for tomorrow, and now it's NET (no earlier than) Sunday night.
[Reply]
eDave 06:34 PM 12-18-2015
I don't really want to bump the thread every time there's some insignificant news to report, so I added a box to the OP that I'll update from time to time with the latest news. If you ever want to know what's up, search for the thread.

But for now, I'm bumping it because eDave wanted to know about the launch scheduled for tomorrow, and now it's NET (no earlier than) Sunday night.
Now that is what I'm talking about! All you other CP fucks should follow DaFace's lead.

Thanks compadre.

Reddit /r/spacex thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comm...update_thread/
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:11 PM 12-18-2015
Thanks DaFace...
[Reply]
eDave 12:15 PM 12-19-2015

Currently looking good for a Sunday night (~8pm local) attempted orbital launch and rocket landing at Cape Canaveral

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 19, 2015

[Reply]
DaFace 07:37 PM 12-19-2015
Kind of cool summary of the sequence of events:

[Reply]
unlurking 05:35 PM 12-21-2015
bumping anyway at the 2 hour countdown!

:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 05:43 PM 12-21-2015

New photo of @SpaceX #Falcon9 in advance of tonight's ORBCOMM #OG2 launch. She's a beauty. #SpaceX pic.twitter.com/cUhCgGieiP

— ORBCOMM (@ORBCOMM_Inc) December 20, 2015

[Reply]
eDave 05:48 PM 12-21-2015
New Reddit /r/spacex launch thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comm...ficial_launch/

Current weather loop:

https://i.imgur.com/qIDcuT2.webm

https://i.imgur.com/k98RbOf.webm

Summary: sporadic showers with the possibility to be an issue are still around, and probably will remain that way through the attempt. That being said, these clouds remain pretty small / short and it seems like metar continues to report that the cloud deck isn't full overcast, so we definitely have a shot here. A instantaneous window I'd feel better about, but let's see what happens.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 361
« First < 678910 111213142060110 > Last »
Up