ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Didn't get what the big deal was about the whole Boulevard dealio.
BIG_DADDY 09:41 AM 04-16-2021
I have had a lot of great beers living in N California for 35 years. I tried a Boulevard beer once and I have to admit I didn't get what the big deal was. Last night I went to a place called On Tap. They have 40 beers on tap. I tried the Boulevard Quadruple bourbon barrel aged with cherries. WOW, I get it now. What are your favorites? I gotta try some now that they are more available.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:51 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Mahomes4MVP:
You can get Toppling Goliath brews at most Hy-Vee and Trader Joe's stores in Des Moines. You don't have to go that far.

I should add that I don't usually see all of the different TG brews at stores in Des Moines, but you can definitely get Pseudo Sue and Dorothy's New World Lager (my favorite) at the very least.
I've started seeing some of their main lineup here, but haven't tried any yet. Should be getting a Mornin' Delight this weekend. :-)

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23222/76421/
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:05 PM 04-16-2021
I'm a sucker for Wheat. Although, I'm open to the idea of it being a mental thing. Marketshare and all.
[Reply]
stanleychief 01:47 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
BBQ is one of the very few Boulevard beers that I still drink. I started craft beer with their Pale Ale, Single/Double Wide IPAs, Dark Truth, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Nutcracker Ale, Irish Ale....

...over time though, craft beer has really taken off and IMO, (my unpopular opinion on a KC board, of course) Boulevard got left behind. Granted, my go-to is huge stouts, which is a relatively niche thing.

To answer your question, BBQ is just about it, IMO, unless maybe some of the IPA offerings or Tank 7 if you like Belgian beer (it's the huge favorite, but it's not for me). I still try their special releases from time to time, but they're generally disappointing.

I talked to a guy who lives in Sacramento the other day and I mentioned New Glory to him... once had their Mindshaker Key Lime Pie IPA and it's an amazing beer.
Not sure what you have available to you, but Boulevard has quite a few decent barrel aged stouts from time to time here in KC. The Whiskey Barrel Stout is pretty good for a year round offering, but their limited release Smokestack beers are where they excel. The experimental beers at their taproom can be hit or miss, but every once in a while they will have one that will knock your socks off. I feel like they are losing focus a bit though with Fling and Quirk. Stick to beer and let other companies make that crap.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:48 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Mahomes4MVP:
You can get Toppling Goliath brews at most Hy-Vee and Trader Joe's stores in Des Moines. You don't have to go that far.

I should add that I don't usually see all of the different TG brews at stores in Des Moines, but you can definitely get Pseudo Sue and Dorothy's New World Lager (my favorite) at the very least.
I wonder if I could get at Hy Vee liquor in Newton. I'll have to check. I won't step foot in a Trader Joe's. I don't like smelling like patchouli afterwards.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:49 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Damn that was low effort.

Speaking of which, Coors is definitely the worst of the three big light beers.
I'd seriously rather piss in an old shoe, let it cool, then drink it than drink a Coors.
[Reply]
Fish 02:11 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I wonder if I could get at Hy Vee liquor in Newton. I'll have to check. I won't step foot in a Trader Joe's. I don't like smelling like patchouli afterwards.
Trader Joe's is the cheapest place to buy wine though. That's really the only thing I buy there. Prices are worth dealing with the yuppie crowd...
[Reply]
Fish 02:14 PM 04-16-2021
Boulevard is making some decent sours, if you like that kind of thing. I still get Space Camper or Single Wide IPA once in a while. Pale Ale was my daily drinker for quite a while. But overall, I don't drink a lot of Boulevard anymore.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:14 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
Not sure what you have available to you, but Boulevard has quite a few decent barrel aged stouts from time to time here in KC. The Whiskey Barrel Stout is pretty good for a year round offering, but their limited release Smokestack beers are where they excel. The experimental beers at their taproom can be hit or miss, but every once in a while they will have one that will knock your socks off. I feel like they are losing focus a bit though with Fling and Quirk. Stick to beer and let other companies make that crap.
Well, looking at their beer advocate page and sorting by ratings, I actually didn't know of several of their heavy stouts, including a 15% Double Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout with Chocolate, Vanilla, and Coffee.

We've gotten BBQ ever since it went to 4 packs. Brandy Land, which was pretty good. I want to say I saw Rye on Rye Maple (or at least the Rye on Rye on Rye), but steered away because there are so many amazing diabetes maple syrup stouts right now.

I assume many of them on beer advocate were either tasting room or very limited, given the lack of reviews, but cool to see they haven't given up on those.
[Reply]
kstater 02:18 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Boulevard is making some decent sours, if you like that kind of thing. I still get Space Camper or Single Wide IPA once in a while. Pale Ale was my daily drinker for quite a while. But overall, I don't drink a lot of Boulevard anymore.
If you want sours, go to Crane in Raytown

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
bdj23 02:22 PM 04-16-2021
Tank 7 and Bob's 47 are great beers, but their Wheat and Pale Ale are extremely overrated.
[Reply]
Fish 02:40 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by kstater:
If you want sours, go to Crane in Raytown

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I've had one of theirs actually. Crane actually has a pretty good following of disc golfers. Cool place.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 03:34 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm a sucker for Wheat. Although, I'm open to the idea of it being a mental thing. Marketshare and all.
Boulevard's Unfiltered Wheat is good!

Lzen mentioned Blind Tiger earlier - they also have an excellent unfiltered wheat.

Since we're on local brews, Free State Copperhead Ale is some killer stuff too
[Reply]
BWillie 03:43 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'd seriously rather piss in an old shoe, let it cool, then drink it than drink a Coors.
What is wrong with a little ICE COLD COLORADO KOOL AID? Our fearless leader Patrick Mahomes drinks it.

Now, it's not as good as Keystone Ice. They don't even carry it at The Bellagio. Such bullshit. I like to drink it when I play cards with one of those horrible paper straws they have.

[Reply]
HC_Chief 03:46 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
What is wrong with a little ICE COLD COLORADO KOOL AID? Our fearless leader Patrick Mahomes drinks it.

Now, it's not as good as Keystone Ice. They don't even carry it at The Bellagio. Such bullshit. I like to drink it when I play cards with one of those horrible paper straws they have.

:-)

What's up with that table? Do they have plexiglass barriers?! Haha, it makes sense, just did not expect to see that
[Reply]
bdj23 03:51 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:

Willie - you going to the WSOP this year?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up