ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 33
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins sounds like he [might] play.
ShowtimeSBMVP 04:14 AM 01-24-2021

Chiefs likely will have running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire but be without Le'Veon Bell for today’s AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, per source.

Additionally, the Chiefs will test WR Sammy Watkins pregame, but don’t sound optimistic he will play today.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 24, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:50 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
But as Pesty and others have said, we need his replacement sitting right next to him on the bench next year
I think that's going to depend on a number of unanswered questions at this point in time, including the recovery time of Fisher's surgery, the return or retirement of Mitchell Schwartz, the final 2021 Salary Cap figure and of course, how the draft board falls at the end of April.

With that said, if Watkins, who's already proven to be a great lockerroom guy and teammate, wants to play for a greatly reduced contract, I can't imagine the Chiefs moving on from him, regardless of the injuries because when he's healthy, he's definitely a game changer.

Plus, it's not as if teams will be lining up to pay him more than $5 million per when he's missed 17 regular season games and a number of playoff games.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 12:55 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Whether he comes back or not....we need to draft a WR to plug in when he’s hurt.
Agree 100% with this right here. Extend Sammy to a $1-$2 million per year deal and plan on him being your #3 WR. Find your long-term #2 WR in the draft or through free agency. Low-risk, extremely high reward. If Sammy is 100% healthy and balling out on your playoff run as a #3 WR you are literally unstoppable.
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:56 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I think that's going to depend on a number of unanswered questions at this point in time, including the recovery time of Fisher's surgery, the return or retirement of Mitchell Schwartz, the final 2021 Salary Cap figure and of course, how the draft board falls at the end of April.

With that said, if Watkins, who's already proven to be a great lockerroom guy and teammate, wants to play for a greatly reduced contract, I can't imagine the Chiefs moving on from him, regardless of the injuries because when he's healthy, he's definitely a game changer.

Plus, it's not as if teams will be lining up to pay him more than $5 million per when he's missed 17 regular season games and a number of playoff games.
Yeah you'd have to think it will be a very limited market for him, that should definitely help Veach in any negotiation
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:56 PM 02-02-2021
ESPN had an article yesterday about where they expected the top free agent WRs to go. They have AJ Green joining the Chiefs on a 1y/4mm deal while they have Watkins ending up in NE at 1y/4.25mm.

I'd be happy if Watkins returned at that salary.
[Reply]
wazu 12:57 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
ESPN had an article yesterday about where they expected the top free agent WRs to go. They have AJ Green joining the Chiefs on a 1y/4mm deal while they have Watkins ending up in NE at 1y/4.25mm.

Between the two I'd much prefer the Watkins deal.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 12:58 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:

If he can't stay healthy, I don't want the team giving $4.25 million to anyone.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 12:58 PM 02-02-2021
Veach will sit down with him and hopefully come to a deal that will suit the team moving forward. I think Sammy and his family are settled in kc and he has a gpod bond with his team mates. The injury record actually gives us a chance to keep a top level wr on a cheap deal...and if he plays on sunday and helps us win then everything would be more than worth it.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 01:08 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by JudasRising20:
If he can't stay healthy, I don't want the team giving $4.25 million to anyone.
Just for reference, Pat Mahomes’ base salary this year is $990k. If Sammy wants to take $1M gauranteed and the other $3.25M prorated for games played, then I’d be fine with that. He should get vet min gauranteed money at this point. We have too many mouths to feed to allow $4M to sit on the sideline.

Hell Sorensen’s cap hit this year was $4M and people were calling for Veach to cut his ass before the season, but we’ll let Sammy ride the bench for the same price.
[Reply]
SAGA45 01:17 PM 02-02-2021
The one positive about Watkins having missed so many regular season games is the lack of film. If he plays, I could see Reid deploying some new stuff with Watkins that completely destroys the Bucs defense's ability to get off the field.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 01:37 PM 02-02-2021
Sammy may "know the offense", but even when he was healthy this year his production was minimal at best.

Unless he is willing to play for the absolute minimum, it seems like the Chiefs can reasonably upgrade from a player who is always injured and whose on field production is lacking.
[Reply]
cmh6476 01:39 PM 02-02-2021
I don't see this as that big of a deal. With Hill and Hardman and Kelce next year having Pringle as your next up isn't terrible. Plus I think most WRs to take less to come catch balls from Mahomes in that pursuit of a ring, so we'd likely find a discount with some receiver to add to the mix.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:44 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by cmh6476:
I don't see this as that big of a deal. With Hill and Hardman and Kelce next year having Pringle as your next up isn't terrible. Plus I think most WRs to take less to come catch balls from Mahomes in that pursuit of a ring, so we'd likely find a discount with some receiver to add to the mix.
Pringle?

:-)

The guy is a JAG. He's not even DeMarcus Robinson and he's certainly not Chris Conley.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:46 PM 02-02-2021
Pringle?

The guy is a JAG. He's not even DeMarcus Robinson and he's certainly not Chris Conley.
Exactly. Great post
[Reply]
penguinz 01:53 PM 02-02-2021
Pringle?

But he runs forward every time he touches the ball!
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:54 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Why do you care what his salary is? he could be paid twice PM's salary and if the chiefs still win that is all that matters.

If the chiefs sign him to a contract and it prevents them from signing someone else that is not Sammy's fault. It is Veach's fault.
Lol.. what a weird ass post.

Are you not familiar with the salary cap?
[Reply]
Page 23 of 33
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Up