ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 174 of 221
« First < 74124164170171172173174 175176177178184 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:32 PM 02-13-2017
Cool slide show.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...1.html#gallery
[Reply]
O.city 12:39 PM 02-14-2017
Why can't I see the last page here?
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02:57 PM 02-21-2017
Some kind of exoplanet NASA announcement coming up soon.

EDIT: Guess its tomorrow.
[Reply]
Fish 02:59 PM 02-21-2017
Probably aliens....

NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System

NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Details of these findings are embargoed by the journal Nature until 1 p.m.

Limited seating is available in the NASA TV studio for media who would like to attend in person at the agency’s Headquarters at 300 E Street SW in Washington. Media unable to attend in person may ask questions by telephone. To attend in person or participate by phone, media must send an email with their name, affiliation and telephone number to Dwayne Brown at dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov by noon Feb. 22.

Media and the public also may ask questions during the briefing on Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03:06 PM 02-21-2017
Would be awesome if they found something truly earth-like.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:52 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
Would be awesome if they found something truly earth-like.
Should be interesting for sure. I'm guessing it has to be something along those lines, but sometimes they do press conferences for stuff that is really exciting to the geeks but not so much for the masses. We'll see.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:54 PM 02-21-2017
Something is definitely a little wonky with this thread.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03:58 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Should be interesting for sure. I'm guessing it has to be something along those lines, but sometimes they do press conferences for stuff that is really exciting to the geeks but not so much for the masses. We'll see.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. NASA talks stuff up sometimes that isn't that appealing to Joe Schmo citizen. I mean, I am one of the geeks that you speak of but I'm hoping its something that's really awesome.

"However US tech publication CNET claims to have seen the findings and said: 'Let’s just say it could very easily provide us with new settings for many future works of science fiction.'"
- from The Sun UK. Can't post links yet.

^ That gives me hope.
[Reply]
Pants 07:57 PM 02-21-2017
We need to start throwing serious cash back at NASA again. We are SO overdue.

SpaceX is nice and everything, but they don't have the muscle of the greatest nation to ever grace planet Earth.

Time to start taking the next steps.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:03 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by Pants:
We need to start throwing serious cash back at NASA again. We are SO overdue.

SpaceX is nice and everything, but they don't have the muscle of the greatest nation to ever grace planet Earth.

Time to start taking the next steps.
Yep. It's bizarre to me that we haven't already. And what benefits NASA benefits all of the other guys too - SpaceX wouldn't be where they are today without a ton of support from NASA.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:12 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by Fish:
Probably aliens....

NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System

NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Details of these findings are embargoed by the journal Nature until 1 p.m.

Limited seating is available in the NASA TV studio for media who would like to attend in person at the agency’s Headquarters at 300 E Street SW in Washington. Media unable to attend in person may ask questions by telephone. To attend in person or participate by phone, media must send an email with their name, affiliation and telephone number to Dwayne Brown at dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov by noon Feb. 22.

Media and the public also may ask questions during the briefing on Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.
If I was guessing, I'd guess that it's something like, "we've discovered the smallest planet yet so far, which is 20 times the size of earth and possibly not a gas giant". Which is really cool, but probably not lifechanging.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 07:41 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
If I was guessing, I'd guess that it's something like, "we've discovered the smallest planet yet so far, which is 20 times the size of earth and possibly not a gas giant". Which is really cool, but probably not lifechanging.
They've already found over 20 terrestrial planets in habitable zones. Whatever it is I hope it renews serious interest in NASA.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 08:15 AM 02-22-2017
So the rumor on Reddit is that 7 earth sized planets were found orbiting TRAPPIST-1. Possibly multiple planets in the habitable zone. Take it for what it's worth.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:46 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
So the rumor on Reddit is that 7 earth sized planets were found orbiting TRAPPIST-1. Possibly multiple planets in the habitable zone. Take it for what it's worth.
I bet that's made for some interesting wars between planets.
[Reply]
O.city 10:32 AM 02-22-2017
We need to get on development of fusion or something similar to power our ships so we can get to those places.
.until we figure out how to travel at near light speed, we just can't get to these places.

Or we figure out how to bend space on itself.....
[Reply]
Page 174 of 221
« First < 74124164170171172173174 175176177178184 > Last »
Up