ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 818 of 3903
« First < 318718768808814815816817818 81982082182282886891813181818 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 10:44 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I dont think thats right

(please ignore the new network)

But more and more people are asking for the drug and recovering. How long are people going to drag their feet on this issue. The treatment exists, its right there.......
They ARE working on it. I know people like to think that you can just snap your fingers and magically start doing this stuff for everyone, but these are extremely complex systems, and the goal is to prove that it works so that it can save millions - not just start throwing it out there to every patient without any consideration of how it's done.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:44 AM 03-27-2020
we dont have time for official trials
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:46 AM 03-27-2020
do we have time to run wasp?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:47 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:47 AM 03-27-2020
Hypothetically, what if people "cured" by this end up still being contagious and don't develop any sort of immunity? We'd all be celebrating how great the drug is, and a couple months later we'd be in an even worse spot.

I hope that's not the case, but there are reasons why there are processes for these things.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:50 AM 03-27-2020
I don't think these are "official" trials.

However...

I think it's fair to remain optimistic.

Don't let 'em shout you down, Clay (but maybe stop calling it a wonder-drug for another week or two...)

A clinically confirmed effective therapeutic treatment combined w/ robust testing protocols would truly flip this entire script. It would change everything, up to and including the need to seriously consider 'pre-emptive exposure' for low risk groups.

I will say the potential for this thing to change EVERYTHING and yet the continued heightened reactions from healthcare and government leaders tells me that this isn't quite the panacea it's being made out to be. If initial results were that this think yields marginally better outcomes in 25% of cases, I'd understand a slow reaction to it. But these initial results are effectively saying "yeah, this will cut capacity issues by 75% and all but eliminate mortality apart from those who are exceptionally high risk..." and yet reactions are tepid at best.

If something looks too good to be true...
[Reply]
SupDock 10:50 AM 03-27-2020
I don't think these are "official" trials.

However...

Is this not the same trial that has already been brought up. The one with bad methodology?

Interesting read here

https://forbetterscience.com/2020/03...from-covid-19/
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:50 AM 03-27-2020
Don't be stupid.

There's always time to run Wasp.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:53 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think it's fair to remain optimistic.

Don't let 'em shout you down, Clay (but maybe stop calling it a wonder-drug for another week or two...)

A clinically confirmed effective therapeutic treatment combined w/ robust testing protocols would truly flip this entire script. It would change everything, up to and including the need to seriously consider 'pre-emptive exposure' for low risk groups.

I will say the potential for this thing to change EVERYTHING and yet the continued heightened reactions from healthcare and government leaders tells me that this isn't quite the panacea it's being made out to be. If initial results were that this think yields marginally better outcomes in 25% of cases, I'd understand a slow reaction to it. But these initial results are effectively saying "yeah, this will cut capacity issues by 75% and all but eliminate mortality apart from those who are exceptionally high risk..." and yet reactions are tepid at best.

If something looks too good to be true...
Yep, I'm optimistic and hopeful that it will be a wonder drug and will deliver us from this mess. It's just that there are tons of weird things that happen with drugs, and I'm sure most of the experts are well aware of past cases when a wonder drug has ended up being...not. Hell, if you follow reddit at all, there's a promising cure for cancer on there a few times a year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:53 AM 03-27-2020

Can't just bypass clinical trials before you put it into wholesale use. Not for a disease that's killing 1-2% of people it infects and those deaths are heavily weighted within a very constrained demographic.
[Reply]
SupDock 10:58 AM 03-27-2020
https://www.corriere.it/salute/malat...&appunica=true

969 deaths in Italy in the last 24 hours.
[Reply]
FAX 11:03 AM 03-27-2020
Hope all Planeteers are doing reasonably okay under the circumstances.

Keep your heads, guys.

FAX
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:05 AM 03-27-2020
4th Minnesotan dies from COVID-19 as cases rise to 398
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:16 AM 03-27-2020
I dont think thats right

But more and more people are asking for the drug and recovering. How long are people going to drag their feet on this issue.The treatment exists, its right there.......
It's sold out everywhere, what are you even talking about? Seriously. Call your local pharmacy and ask for plaquenil. they'll tell you it's out. people with existing prescriptions for lupus could die because hydroxychloroquine is the new toilet paper.
[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 11:17 AM 03-27-2020
I dont think thats right

(please ignore the new network)

But more and more people are asking for the drug and recovering. How long are people going to drag their feet on this issue. The treatment exists, its right there.......
Anecdotal cases are fine, but you can just as easily find anecdotal cases where doctors have stopped administering Z-Paks and hydroxychloroquine because there were no readily observable benefits in a given patient. See, for example, this guy who is still ventilated and in critical condition:

Originally Posted by :
After Lat was moved to the ICU, intubated and put on a ventilator, his doctors began giving him both a Z-Pak (azithromycin) and the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine in an effort to knock down his COVID-19 infection, Shemtob has said. They also started administering an IL 6-inhibitor to help fight the extreme inflammation of Lat’s lungs caused by the virus.

By about Monday, after what Shemtob believes was two IL 6-inhibitor treatments, the physicians decided not to give him more, at least for now, said Shemtob. By Wednesday, they stopped the Z-Pak (azithromycin) and hydroxychloroquine therapy.

“They are no longer giving him the drugs, even though they may still be in his system,” said Shemtob, who has a 2-year-old son with Lat. “I think they’re [the doctors] just looking to see if and how he improves before taking their next steps.”

Shemtob said that what the next treatment steps may be is unclear. Depending on how Lat, 44, does in the next few days, the doctors could return to using the same drug therapies or perhaps try, or add on, another treatment.

“Just because this [coronavirus] is so new,” said Shemtob, “the doctors are taking it day by day,” and they haven’t tried to predict what may come next as far as treatments, or how Lat will do.

“There is no timeline” for Lat’s hoped-for progress, he added, because “there’s not a lot of good comparator” cases.

Shemtob, a former clerk for Judge Robert Sack of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and a former associate at Cooley, has said that the drug therapies being used on Lat, in his view, are experimental.

“These drugs have been around a while,” he said Thursday, “but they are experimental in the sense that they are now starting to be used for this,” the coronavirus.

A small, recent study from France has indicated using a Z-pak and hydroxychloroquine may help people fight off COVID-19. But experts have cautioned that the French study was too small to know about the true safety and efficacy of the drug therapy. Hydroxychloroquine is a derivative of chloroquine, which was discovered in 1934 and later used on malaria patients.
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourna...ill-uncertain/
[Reply]
Page 818 of 3903
« First < 318718768808814815816817818 81982082182282886891813181818 > Last »
Up