ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 19
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Anyone ever experience burnout?
mlyonsd 07:17 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I've gone through what I call slumps, where I'm burned out and don't feel much happiness in things where I should.

I just got back from the longest vacation I've taken in a long long time, expecting to be rejuvenated, but I'm very fatigued. I do feel more relaxed.

When I'm in a slump where I'm struggling with motivation, Just ****ing make myself stay on my feet when I get home from work, change my clothes and go outside and "do 1 thing". I'll go work in my shop, or spray a tank of roundup or just accomplish 1 thing before I go let myself sit and do the family thing. I've struggled with relaxing for a long time, and have too many side hustles sometimes.

In short, I just make myself plow through it and stay busy and eventually come out on top.
Same. I just pick something I'm dreading or putting off then go ahead and do it. The instant gratification I get when I'm done pushes me through the doldrums every time.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:53 PM 07-30-2020
Unhappiness occurs when expectations don’t match with reality. It’s up to you to correct that imbalance whether it’s changing expectations, reality, or both.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:59 PM 07-30-2020
First thing to do is get physical exercise every day. Best is first thing in the morning. Doesn't matter what your fitness level is. If you can walk half a mile do it every morning first thing. then get up to a mile. Then walk a mile and right afterward ride your bike that same mile.

If you already get activity every day increase it and keep pushing.

Everything in your life will be better if you get physical activity every day. Everything.
[Reply]
eDave 04:01 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
First thing to do is get physical exercise every day. Best is first thing in the morning. Doesn't matter what your fitness level is. If you can walk half a mile do it every morning first thing. then get up to a mile. Then walk a mile and right afterward ride your bike that same mile.

If you already get activity every day increase it and keep pushing.

Everything in your life will be better if you get physical activity every day. Everything.
There was an episode of LA Law once that featured Arnie's morning routine before going to the office. It starts the episode. It's always stuck with me and I do none of it.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 04:06 PM 07-30-2020
I hit the wall right around 46-48 years of age. What I did is I started saving money like crazy and built up a separate account with full knowledge on what my next step would be. That next step was to quit my job. I took about 2 years off just working on the honey do list but also things like fishing and golfing. Eventually I was ready to jump back into the workforce. I took a slightly lesser job but less stressful than my previous employment and am loving it. It doesn't hurt my attitude any that I have a little over 2 1/2 years until I retire.

Take some time for yourself. Worked for me.
[Reply]
backinblack 04:08 PM 07-30-2020
I'm there right now, just bought a house and over the past month I've been getting it ready to live in, moving shit, cleaning out my previous apartment etc. We are finally done with all of it, have a little bit of touch up to do on the apartment tomorrow before I turn the keys in.

Of course this heat is not helping anything. I don't want to do anything for the next month.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:10 PM 07-30-2020
Been in the dumps more times than I can count. I think because I get bored so easily, which leads me to depression or just utter apathy. Either way, it's a bad place to be for me.

I won't bore you with my personal story, or stories really. And I can't tell you the magic spell that makes everything better. The only thing I can really say is you probably should find something to do that really forces you to be present (hate that damned word, but it fits).

I found a variety of hobbies, such as fly fishing, Muy Thai kick-boxing, fly-tying, reloading my own ammo, becoming a certified firearms instructor, prairie dog hunting, etc. But I don't think that's actually necessary for everyone to have more than one. It just has to be something that you really enjoy or that just occupies the creative/imaginative (possibly competitive) parts of your brain.

So for instance, I like fixing/maintaining/building things, so i can spend hours tinkering with the truck, or breaking down every gun in the house and cleaning/oiling every part and then putting them all back together. A month ago I decided to replace all the guts in every toilet in my mother's house as well as the seats and lids. I made it a project; I had my mother choose the colors/styles/functions of the seats, I did some research on what flush/fill valves/gaskets/putties/etc. were the best and a bunch of other stuff I normally wouldn't bother with.

It took two weeks to get to the buying part.

And then a whole weekend to install everything, but at the end of it I was actually smiling when I test-flushed the last toilet. Ridiculous I know, but I felt like I'd accomplished something and in the process made my mom's house a little more efficient (a couple of the toilets had been intermittently leaking/refilling for a while).

Lately I've been considering building a rifle. Don't need another one, but the time it will take to build it will occupy my mind and hands for weeks, if not months.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 04:16 PM 07-30-2020
Wut?

That sounds like just another day in the world we live in to me.
[Reply]
eDave 04:19 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Wut?

That sounds like just another day in the world we live in to me.
There are many merits to a 4 day work week and the return of sabbaticals.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 04:33 PM 07-30-2020
Also,

smoke weed.

(detox, that was great).
[Reply]
eDave 04:36 PM 07-30-2020
You look for your dreams in heaven
But what the hell are you supposed to do
When they come true?

- George Michael

Check the source and ponder it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu6G6nKhono
[Reply]
siberian khatru 04:48 PM 07-30-2020
This is one of the best and most important threads in CP history
[Reply]
Jenson71 07:05 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
This is one of the best and most important threads in CP history
No doubt. I’m bookmarking this stuff.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:49 PM 07-30-2020
I've been burned out so often that you can probably just call me a burnout at this point. For me it's always been my subconscious yelling at me that I'm not happy with my life, and me ignoring it, avoiding thinking about anything, just losing myself in video games and tv and books.

If I were you, I'd ask yourself what it is that you're not satisfied with, and try to find constructive ways to change those things. And it may be a lot of things. Your job. Your family life. The balance between the two. Where you live. How you spend your free time. Whatever they are, there's reasons why you're feeling the way you do. And they may be difficult to acknowledge or to face. But, as the saying goes, the only way out is through.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 05:12 PM 07-30-2020
I get burnout when I get off rotation from my job...I travel a lot...work 7 days on 7 days off pretty much.

When I get home off rotation...I don't wanna do shit, don't wanna cook, clean, run errands, go to the bank, etc. Especially the first couple days I sit on my ass and recollect and don't do a god damn thing.

Dunno if this is necessarily burnout per say, but my home has gone to trash, need to clean and haven't done it forever....get depressed when I think about it lol.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 19
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up