ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 689 of 3903
« First < 189589639679685686687688689 69069169269369973978911891689 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
jackkked 09:08 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Will you guys take the pissing match to another thread or to private messages, please.

I hate checking this thread to see people ****ing arguing instead of posting news, and it’s normally the same people arguing

Big Time
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:11 AM 03-24-2020
if anyone still believes China's numbers they are retarded
[Reply]
Donger 09:14 AM 03-24-2020
New Jersey now with the second highest number of cases. I guess that figures.
[Reply]
notorious 09:15 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
anyone that believes anything China says is retarded
fyp
[Reply]
O.city 09:28 AM 03-24-2020
I think (or hope?) that the federal government has figured out that it's gonna be hot spots and different times. Looks like NY first and maybe LA or Seattle.

So you've gotta be mobile. Get the supplies to those places, then move. Be smart about this.
[Reply]
Donger 09:34 AM 03-24-2020
Looks like NY is already up to 5,000 today again. Hope it holds under 10,000
[Reply]
TLO 09:37 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think (or hope?) that the federal government has figured out that it's gonna be hot spots and different times. Looks like NY first and maybe LA or Seattle.

So you've gotta be mobile. Get the supplies to those places, then move. Be smart about this.
Is Kansas City going to be one of those hot spots?
[Reply]
Monticore 09:41 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Looks like NY is already up to 5,000 today again. Hope it holds under 10,000
With New York now only testing people that are hospitalized and who the course of treatment would change, I would assume there would be less mild/asymptomatic cases in the numbers going forward. I was hoping the numbers overall would go down, still early though.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:42 AM 03-24-2020
Interesting stuff.

Originally Posted by :
A new analysis of SARS-CoV-2 may finally put that latter idea to bed. A group of researchers compared the genome of this novel coronavirus with the seven other coronaviruses known to infect humans: SARS, MERS and SARS-CoV-2, which can cause severe disease; along with HKU1, NL63, OC43 and 229E, which typically cause just mild symptoms, the researchers wrote March 17 in the journal Nature Medicine.

"Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus," they write in the journal article.

Kristian Andersen, an associate professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps Research, and his colleagues looked at the genetic template for the spike proteins that protrude from the surface of the virus. The coronavirus uses these spikes to grab the outer walls of its host's cells and then enter those cells. They specifically looked at the gene sequences responsible for two key features of these spike proteins: the grabber, called the receptor-binding domain, that hooks onto host cells; and the so-called cleavage site that allows the virus to open and enter those cells.

That analysis showed that the "hook" part of the spike had evolved to target a receptor on the outside of human cells called ACE2, which is involved in blood pressure regulation. It is so effective at attaching to human cells that the researchers said the spike proteins were the result of natural selection and not genetic engineering.

Here's why: SARS-CoV-2 is very closely related to the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which fanned across the globe nearly 20 years ago. Scientists have studied how SARS-CoV differs from SARS-CoV-2 — with several key letter changes in the genetic code. Yet in computer simulations, the mutations in SARS-CoV-2 don't seem to work very well at helping the virus bind to human cells. If scientists had deliberately engineered this virus, they wouldn't have chosen mutations that computer models suggest won't work. But it turns out, nature is smarter than scientists, and the novel coronavirus found a way to mutate that was better — and completely different— from anything scientists could have created, the study found.

Another nail in the "escaped from evil lab" theory? The overall molecular structure of this virus is distinct from the known coronaviruses and instead most closely resembles viruses found in bats and pangolins that had been little studied and never known to cause humans any harm.

"If someone were seeking to engineer a new coronavirus as a pathogen, they would have constructed it from the backbone of a virus known to cause illness," according to a statement from Scripps.

[Reply]
neech 09:42 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
How the hell is Mexico still under 400 cases?
That goverment is a joke.
[Reply]
Donger 09:44 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
No.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:46 AM 03-24-2020
Nope. Just another perk of living in flyover country.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:47 AM 03-24-2020
A friend of mine keeps saying this stupid shit. But he's a super reactionary boob that watches way to much news, so it figures.
[Reply]
O.city 09:47 AM 03-24-2020
I don't think so initially, no.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:50 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
That goverment is a joke.
Maybe, maybe not. I doubt that WHO and Johns Hopkins is just ignoring Mexico, we seem to get data from all over the world not sure why Mexico would such a major outlier when it comes to knowing whats going on since they are just south of us.
[Reply]
Page 689 of 3903
« First < 189589639679685686687688689 69069169269369973978911891689 > Last »
Up