ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 29
« First < 182425262728 29 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
wazu 10:47 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Bud.... I really hope you're joking.
I’m sure he is. Aldi pods work fine.
[Reply]
Fish 10:55 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I've become a cast iron convert. I own a Lodge "combo" set that acts as a Dutch oven, pot, and skillet. Love it. I've been looking around for some vintage cast iron with limited success. It's either overpriced or rusty crap.

Any thoughts on finding vintage cast iron?
Most of mine came from small town garage sales and farm auctions. I've got some beauties that are pretty old. Got an old Wagner 8 cast iron griddle that's old enough that the Wagner logo is just the word 'Wagner' in single parentheses. Picked it up at a farm auction for $3.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 10:57 PM 11-10-2020
penzed by Pablo.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:44 PM 11-10-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Just wipe it down with a paper towel and throw it in the oven.

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
I do the paper towel part didnt think about throwing it in the oven. Thanks
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:45 PM 11-10-2020
I just washed it in the dishwasher now it looks like my el camino :-)
[Reply]
Sorry 01:27 AM 11-11-2020
rec. on how long to put in the oven for best lasting seasoning? do you do a light layer of oil?
[Reply]
wazu 08:25 AM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Sorry:
rec. on how long to put in the oven for best lasting seasoning? do you do a light layer of oil?
Go to Post #14 of this thread.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:27 AM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Refurbishing them is definitely doable. Right Angle Grinder and a flapper wheel will get to the bottom of the rust and then it is a matter of reseasoning several times and it is good to go.

Hit up estate auctions.

I like it, hopefully people know the difference between a flapper wheel and this. :-) "Well, the rust it gone, but crap!!"

[Reply]
Buehler445 08:32 AM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I like it, hopefully people know the difference between a flapper wheel and this. :-) "Well, the rust it gone, but crap!!"

:-)

Fair Point.

https://www.amazon.com/Coceca-Inches...5105072&sr=8-3

[Reply]
Pablo 01:50 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Bud.... I really hope you're joking.
Just funnin' with ya. My cast iron is beautiful. The only time I need to hit it with hot water and scrub is if I do an oven roux. Otherwise it's a wipe out with a paper towel 9/10.

I have my grandma's cast iron that's been around since before I was alive. She's still kicking but doesn't cook anymore and knew I'd use it. I've got one 12" skillet I use all the time, two more smaller skillets and a cast iron dutch oven in the garage I've yet to put into service.
[Reply]
Pablo 04:02 PM 01-14-2021
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Just funnin' with ya. My cast iron is beautiful. The only time I need to hit it with hot water and scrub is if I do an oven roux. Otherwise it's a wipe out with a paper towel 9/10.

I have my grandma's cast iron that's been around since before I was alive. She's still kicking but doesn't cook anymore and knew I'd use it. I've got one 12" skillet I use all the time, two more smaller skillets and a cast iron dutch oven in the garage I've yet to put into service.

Pulled the dutch oven out of the garage and give it a quick scrub and re-season this afternoon. Ready to put it into service, just don't know what I'm gonna make first. It was in really good shape so no real elbow grease required. The locking lid is pretty cool. Other pan is the one I use quite a bit. Still have a couple more pans out there I need to do the same to, but I'll get them some other day.

I'll pour one out for FMB when I get them all up and running.

[Reply]
Pablo 06:39 PM 06-03-2022
Finally got this pan fished outta the garage and in service. Looked it up online and says it was manufactured sometime between 1933-39. It's like a full lb lighter than the other one I got the same size.

It was good to go but definitely has interesting color and wear. Dunno what it means but here's some pics.

[Reply]
frozenchief 06:50 PM 06-03-2022
I try to keep my cast iron pans in good shape. Then my wife cooks in them and she puts them in the sink and fills them with water to soak before cleaning.

I re-season my pans a lot.
[Reply]
frozenchief 06:51 PM 06-03-2022
I try to keep my cast iron pans in good shape. Then my wife cooks in them and she puts them in the sink and fills them with water to soak before cleaning.

I re-season my pans a lot.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 07:20 PM 06-03-2022
Used chain mail to clean my skillet for the first time. Really did the trick.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 29
« First < 182425262728 29 >
Up