ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Boston Planeteers - Travel Advice
wazu 10:33 PM 10-03-2017
Taking a trip there in November. Will have a full weekend to hang out and see the town. Any key areas to target? I'm a big fan of Revolutionary War-era history, so Freedom Trail is on the list. Any thoughts on best way to do that are appreciated. Wanted to see Bunker Hill but all my googling so far brings up a monument. Probably want to see that, too, but thought there might actually be the battleground location somewhere to get a better feel for lay of the land.

One of my buddies who will be there was interested in touring Sam Adams brewery, so we're looking into that as possibility. Any can't-miss places to eat? Trying to figure out a good central area to find a hotel. And of course, want to find a good bar to watch the Chiefs game in on Sunday. Thanks for any help!
[Reply]
Amnorix 01:25 PM 10-04-2017
I will say, however, that TF Green seems a better bet than Logan, for a number of reasons. All else being roughly equal, I'd go with coming in to TF Green.

If there is a shuttle boat from Boston to MV/Nantucket, though, then I'd do that, which of course necessitates coming into Logan.

Check out options here:

https://www.massvacation.com/navigat...and-nantucket/

and here

https://www.steamshipauthority.com/visitors

Though on quick glance I didn't see anything good for you I'm afraid.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 01:32 PM 10-04-2017
True advice. Don’t visit the filthy corrupt liberal east coast.
[Reply]
Amnorix 01:37 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop:

:-) Yeah, you might get liberal cooties. :-)
[Reply]
Spott 02:04 PM 10-04-2017
Don't drive if you can help it and use the subway to get around.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:54 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Spott:
Don't drive if you can help it and use the subway to get around.
Excellent tip for being in the city—not for excursions beyond like Lexington & Concord, Salem, Marblehead or Plymouth.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:56 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop:
:-)

It's still a very historic city to visit representing the good ole' days. He doesn't have to stay.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:59 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I will say, however, that TF Green seems a better bet than Logan, for a number of reasons. All else being roughly equal, I'd go with coming in to TF Green.
I am from Norwood, so I preferred Green myself. Much easier. But my work flies me into Logan.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:01 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
On a related note, I was pondering coming to Massachusetts to run the Nantucket Half-Marathon and mark Massachusetts off my race list. I decided not to do it this year, primary because I wanted a little more planning time than I had. It was kind of a last-minute idea this year.

So here's my question. If a person flies into Boston or Providence and wants to go to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard (which also has its own half-marathon), what's the best way to get there? It seems stupid to rent a car and then just park it at the ferry the whole time, but it seems too far for a cab or uber or something. What's the best way to get myself from the airport to the ferry?

I'll probably do one of those two races next year. I want to have a plan in mind.
I'll ask my sister who still lives in the Boston area. Though she and her husband use their sailboat from Osterville to the Vineyard, they entertain guests that visit them and may know. I believe there are flights from Boston to those islands.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:02 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Go to South Boston with everyone in your group wearing Black Lives Matter t-shirts. Should be an exciting afternoon
:-) Or Charlestown. I still think there's a lot of Townies still there.

Oh those Irish. :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:03 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by bigjosh006:
Ohh, I wasnt shitting on it. More of just a warning that all of these places have been super monetized.

That being said, the boston tea party museum and ships are cool.
All historic cities have been super monetized.
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:17 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
:-) Or Charlestown. I still think there's a lot of Townies still there.

Oh those Irish. :-)

You obviously haven't been to Southie or Charlestown in a while. Things have changed pretty dramatically in both places, but especially Southie.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:31 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Don't drive.

You're welcome.
:-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:33 PM 10-04-2017
You obviously haven't been to Southie or Charlestown in a while. Things have changed pretty dramatically in both places, but especially Southie.
I know I was part of that change in Charlestown. That re-routing of roads and all to get that new bridge up was madness. I've been over that new bridge. I've seen the changes. I heard about Southie being reno'd by developers with newcomers. Charlestown still has it's local Irish Townies though. Yep! Some of them are still there. Wonder if all the bank robbers have died? Has there been any news reports of someone jumping over the counter in a bank recently?
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:45 PM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I know I was part of that change in Charlestown. That re-routing of roads and all to get that new bridge up was madness. I've been over that new bridge. I've seen the changes. I heard about Southie being reno'd by developers with newcomers. Charlestown still has it's local Irish Townies though. Yep! Some of them are still there. Wonder if all the bank robbers have died? Has there been any news reports of someone jumping over the counter in a bank recently?

Sure, some of the old "holdouts" are in both Southie and Charlestown, but the culture has changed fundamentally in both.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:47 PM 10-04-2017
Sure, some of the old "holdouts" are in both Southie and Charlestown, but the culture has changed fundamentally in both.
My place has been condoized into three units, and I had already renovated the attic to a loft. Worth millions now. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up