ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2416 of 3903
« First < 1416191623162366240624122413241424152416 241724182419242024262466251629163416 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pants 04:02 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
I would imagine it has plenty to do with around 84% of county deaths coming from Long-term health facilities and nobody dying outside a long-term health facility in over two months. People in JOCO seem to believe it is more an issue with the retirement communities then a threat to them IMO.
I get that and I think it's an awful approach. If this thing truly explodes like it can, it will overload hospitals and wreak havoc and lead to more death and suffering. Just because it hasn't yet, doesn't mean it won't. JOCO and KS, in general, were super quick on the ball when it came to early mitigation efforts too.

This is not a political issue and this is not a US issue. Countries with no or few mitigation efforts and enough dense population centers are suffering.

Russia tried to ignore it before they realized this is real.

China cares way less about its citizens than we do. If thing was as harmless as some make it out to be, they would let it run its course. We all know what they actually did instead.

It's not "doom and gloom" to take this seriously like some fucking idiots seem to think.

You're seeing the beginning stages of explosions happening in AZ and Texas. Other states, counties, countries are not magically immune.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:08 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just an observation that you sound a lot like BleedingRed a couple of weeks ago.
ummm ok
[Reply]
Donger 04:24 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I saw the words "apocalyptic scenario" used on a main stream media website today to describe what is going on in Texas. Maybe I'm a sheeple, and that's fine - but that phrasing is kind of terrifying.
Did you notice that that word wasn't the media's word? They were quoting a doctor.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:30 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Dude, that is their game. The media by in large has done that this entire time. They love the word "apocalypse" because it sounds devastating. Keep this in mind, Texas is still no where near what NY was. Not by a long shot.
Since you mentioned New York.... you do realize they went from 100 deaths to 19,000 in a matter of 30 days? And around 2,000 to 10,000 in a matter of a couple weeks AFTER shutting things down?

OBVIOUSLY, each city will be different and there may be no expectation of that happening anywhere else at this moment..... but, that's how fast things changed for that one comparison city you mentioned.

New York went from 'not apocalyptic by a long shot' to pretty fucking bad in a matter of a couple weeks.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:46 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Since you mentioned New York.... you do realize they went from 100 deaths to 19,000 in a matter of 30 days? And around 2,000 to 10,000 in a matter of a couple weeks AFTER shutting things down?

OBVIOUSLY, each city will be different and there may be no expectation of that happening anywhere else at this moment..... but, that's how fast things changed for that one comparison city you mentioned.

New York went from 'not apocalyptic by a long shot' to pretty ****ing bad in a matter of a couple weeks.
I don't disagree. Could that happen elsewhere? Sure. Will it? I would think most likely not.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 04:56 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Im here in the SF Bay Area and we have test centers everywhere. You dont need a doctors note and you dont even have to have symptoms....
WTF Sutter Health and Marin General thats not the case. major WTF.
[Reply]
TLO 05:07 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Did you notice that that word wasn't the media's word? They were quoting a doctor.
That's true. But the doctor didn't put it in big bold letters at the top of their site and leave it up there for a few hours.
[Reply]
TLO 05:37 PM 06-25-2020
The CDC also updated their list of underlying conditions today.

Originally Posted by :
People of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:

Chronic kidney disease
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Sickle cell disease
Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Children who are medically complex, who have neurologic, genetic, metabolic conditions, or who have congenital heart disease are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 than other children.

COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of underlying medical conditions and whether they increase the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, people with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19:

Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
Cystic fibrosis
Hypertension or high blood pressure
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
Liver disease
Pregnancy
Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
Smoking
Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus

[Reply]
jdubya 05:44 PM 06-25-2020
"Apocalyptic" and "unprecedented" are 2 of the most wrongfully used words I commonly hear.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:38 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
That's true. But the doctor didn't put it in big bold letters at the top of their site and leave it up there for a few hours.
Worldometers showing we might come in with less deaths than last Thursday. This is a good sign. I hope to God this trend continues to go down.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:42 PM 06-25-2020
Why is no one talking about California? They have been racking up the cases so much that they actually passed New Jersey 3 or 4 days ago in total cases. They have over double the deaths than Texas and almost double the cases of Florida. I know the reason the media won't talk about it and I won't get into that here but why is no one in this thread talking about CA?

They locked down before and for longer than just about any other state. LA County actually passed a law forcing people to wear masks when outside regardless of where they were. While states like Texas and Florida opened up sooner and were a bit more lax in their lockdown restrictions we are seeing the same results in a state that didn't do what Texas and Florida did.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:10 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
"Apocalyptic" and "unprecedented" are 2 of the most wrongfully used words I commonly hear.
Id also add "draconian".
[Reply]
underEJ 07:18 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Why is no one talking about California? They have been racking up the cases so much that they actually passed New Jersey 3 or 4 days ago in total cases. They have over double the deaths than Texas and almost double the cases of Florida. I know the reason the media won't talk about it and I won't get into that here but why is no one in this thread talking about CA?

They locked down before and for longer than just about any other state. LA County actually passed a law forcing people to wear masks when outside regardless of where they were. While states like Texas and Florida opened up sooner and were a bit more lax in their lockdown restrictions we are seeing the same results in a state that didn't do what Texas and Florida did.

It isn't like a state full of people who have been locked inside for 3 months is shockingly having a problem in its most populous county, despite strict quarantine. The reasons it is continuing to be a problem are quite obvious. It wasn't strict after about the first 8 weeks. As soon as people started saying the curve was flattening, many people chose to return to more normal routines, thus cases rise. This week is a real treat. The testing site at Dodger Stadium is down due to the vendor being replaced. So far no new appointments can be made. That is really great timing.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:18 PM 06-25-2020
"Evidence Supports a Causal Role for Vitamin D Status in COVID-19 Outcomes"

"Calcitriol, the active form of vitamin D, is a promising candidate for COVID-19 prophylaxis" [(This link might not be working for whatever reason.)]
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:35 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Id also add "draconian".
Yup Pam GIF from Yup GIFs

[Reply]
Page 2416 of 3903
« First < 1416191623162366240624122413241424152416 241724182419242024262466251629163416 > Last »
Up