ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1073 of 3903
« First < 735739731023106310691070107110721073 107410751076107710831123117315732073 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:19 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I had a cold in February that just hung on forever, for about 3 days I coughed a shit ton it made my ribs hurt, had chills and then I'd get hot as **** just back and forth, made my muscles sore and shit..

Then the damn thing just hung on forever, I felt better but I had remnants of it for what felt like a month.
Well if you guys want to hear some positive news I haven't gotten sick at all
[Reply]
AustinChief 10:20 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Argh! So what flu season had a CFR of 0.1%? 2018-2019?

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.
Yes and 2017-2018 had between 60k-80k deaths. Which gives you a figure in the .13-.17% range... which is the same for under 50 Covid-19 infections according to a couple of reports. SupDock claims it is under 35 that is .16 but I am fairly certain it is under 50 but I can go back and check in a few, although it would have little bearing on my post. Just change <50 to <35 and answer the questions posed.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:20 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
It's the 2017-2018 flu season. There is nothing "wrong" about what I posted. I berated you for being your normal prickish self after you mischaracterized what I posted.
Where is the .16 fatality rate for a bad flu season?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:20 AM 04-03-2020
:-), media just now starting to figure out millions of people losing their jobs is bad
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:21 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
But are those people that were using the vents?

That’s where the shortage is going to come in. It’s not all about beds.

And I quoted the wrong post. Sorry lol
Cited the ICU figures as well, where the model is also significantly out of whack. And total beds would speak to surge capacity; creates additional avenues for reallocation of scarce resources. If you don't have the beds, the number of vents, improvised or otherwise, is immaterial. And vents can travel, beds really can't. So long as you have bed capacity, you can move vents around from areas they aren't needed to create additional ICU capacity.

WTF use is this model at this point? If the 'peak resource demand' date is still accurate, then our peak demand will end up a fraction of what it's claiming. And if the peak resource date is off significantly, then we continue to make shutdown decisions based on target dates that mean nothing.

Whatever the case may be, continuing to use that damn model as though it means anything is just silly.

I'm not objecting to the use of modeling to try to make decisions, but we have got to stop leaning into bad ones (days after they're clearly wrong) because they confirmed our viewpoints when they were released.

Get a new model - the IMHE model isn't worth a damn thing.
[Reply]
TLO 10:23 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Cited the ICU figures as well, where the model is also significantly out of whack.

WTF use is this model at this point? If the 'peak resource demand' date is still accurate, then our peak demand will end up a fraction of what it's claiming. And if the peak resource date is off significantly, then we continue to make shutdown decisions based on target dates that mean nothing.

Whatever the case may be, continuing to use that damn model as though it means anything is just silly.

I'm not objecting to the use of modeling to try to make decisions, but we have got to stop leaning into bad ones (days after they're clearly wrong) because they confirmed our viewpoints when they were released.

It does say it was last updated on the 1st and the next update is the 4th
FWIW
[Reply]
petegz28 10:24 AM 04-03-2020
Cited the ICU figures as well, where the model is also significantly out of whack. And total beds would speak to surge capacity; creates additional avenues for reallocation of scarce resources. If you don't have the beds, the number of vents, improvised or otherwise, is immaterial. And vents can travel, beds really can't. So long as you have bed capacity, you can move vents around from areas they aren't needed to create additional ICU capacity.

Facts determining data instead of the other way around....
[Reply]
Donger 10:24 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Yes and 2017-2018 had between 60k-80k deaths. Which gives you a figure in the .13-.17% range... which is the same for under 50 Covid-19 infections according to a couple of reports. SupDock claims it is under 35 that is .16 but I am fairly certain it is under 50 but I can go back and check in a few, although it would have little bearing on my post. Just change <50 to <35 and answer the questions posed.
45,000,000 cases and 80,000 deaths is a CFR of 0.017%, no?

Nevermind.... I suck at maths... :-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:25 AM 04-03-2020

I understand the model is out of wack but I’ll not seeing how many releases were from icu.

I’m not worried about what the model says
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It does say it was last updated on the 1st and the next update is the 4th
FWIW
And again, why should we care at that point?

If they have to update their model every 3 days to get within a factor of 4, then they're just sticking their head out the window to tell us its raining.

They've already updated the thing once and it's still a trainwreck. There's something inherently flawed in their modeling. Don't 'update' it - scrap it.

This is akin to the efforts of Ford in the 80s to 'refresh' the failed 2nd gen mustang. What it needed was a clean-sheet rebuild.

That model is clearly built on a faulty premise. I don't know what it is because none of these people will release their source data (and I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway), but it's clearly a problem and we're still using it to make decisions.

Throw the damn thing out and start over.
[Reply]
AustinChief 10:28 AM 04-03-2020

Nevermind.... I suck at maths... :-)
ha, you edited before I could tell you to move the decimal over one.

btw here is just one of many sources stating the ~80k number

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/

you can also find many sources that say ~60k which is why I stated the range I did.
[Reply]
phisherman 10:30 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
My wife and I are both convinced we had this in January. Never felt anything like it. Fever, chills, aches, and a literal BURNING sensation in our lungs. We tested negative for flu and were told it was a “seasonal virus” that was going around. He grandma and grandpa came down with it after being at our house a few days before we got sick. Her grandfather got double pneumonia and was hospitalized for a week with it...again, no flu.

I am almost certain that if we took the antibodies test, we have had this thing.
Once we have proper testing for this, I have a hunch we'll find that a bunch of people have either had it or been exposed to it and have produced antibodies already.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:30 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I understand the model is out of wack but I’ll not seeing how many releases were from icu.

I’m not worried about what the model says
Hmmm....

Tomahawk posted a picture of the figures 2-3 days ago, didn't he? If you could find that in this monster of a thread, you might be able to extrapolate the number of ICU patients from then to now and see a trend one direction or another.

Though I wouldn't expect to see that worm having turned just yet. Those seem to take an extra 4-6 days to resolve or an 'ordinary' admission one direction or another.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:32 AM 04-03-2020
Serology of this virus will be interesting. Alot of people were getting sick with symptoms like Corona from December through February.

If we find out in the end that millions have already had it and gotten over it, then there should be hell to pay.

I've said it from the start that I believe this would be more LIKE (that exactly) like a flu season total than a SARS or MERS. But again cat is out of the bag, but the numbers I'm seeing are encouraging.

People keep freaking about about the number of cases... And are missing the fact that millions have tested negative as well. 8/10 test come back negative right? Isn't that a good thing?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:32 AM 04-03-2020
It's 0.17, but it's near the upper bound of the 95% CI (2 sd). He's also not accounting for there being more cases which would push the CFR down or the estimate being near the lower bound of the 95% CI.

For his numbers to be true the number of cases would have to be exactly on the estimate and the CFR would have to be two standard deviations above the estimate.
[Reply]
Page 1073 of 3903
« First < 735739731023106310691070107110721073 107410751076107710831123117315732073 > Last »
Up