Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
kcpasco 01:00 PM 04-15-2019
If they were welding and grinding without a proper fire watch especially for a building of that importance someone is getting jailed and sued into poverty.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:01 PM 04-15-2019
There's a lot of smoke coming out of the north front tower now. Not a good sign.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:01 PM 04-15-2019
Man, that's terrible. Glad I got to see it when I did.

Churches are always fire hazards with their perpetual use of candles, but I can't imagine that caused this.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:04 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
Uh ... Hitler ordered the city to be completely demolished with V2s and mortars as France was falling to the Allies. That destruction was to include all historic buildings, monuments, bridges, etc.

von Choltitz chose to disobey the order ... a rare act of disobedience for a Nazi general. Instead, he had his men fire a few token shots (in order to maintain their "honor") then capitulate.

FAX

Correct, hence the inclusion of said war
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:05 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
It's not that big of a deal. Hardly some world treasure.

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:07 PM 04-15-2019
I bet Claude Frollo is behind this. That son of a bitch.
[Reply]
FAX 01:09 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Otter:
I will be greatly surprised if it's not an act of terrorism. Sad story and hopes for a quick rebuilt and the unification of those who prayed and practiced their faith at Notre Dame.
I'm holding out more hope for #2 than #1, Mr. Otter.

The West is losing ground at an alarming rate. For far too many, tradition is evil, hate is legitimized, while compassion is pointlessly "lame".

History will not look kindly on this era. (At least, that's my hope.)

FAX
[Reply]
FAX 01:10 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Correct, hence the inclusion of said war
I think I may have quoted the wrong post.

Either that or my reading comprehension is incomprehensible.

FAX
[Reply]
redfan 01:11 PM 04-15-2019
Dang, 850+ years of history gone in hours. Terribly sad.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:13 PM 04-15-2019
I'm holding out more hope for #2 than #1, Mr. Otter.

The West is losing ground at an alarming rate. For far too many, tradition is evil, hate is legitimized, while compassion is pointlessly "lame".

History will not look kindly on this era. (At least, that's my hope.)

FAX
Agreed. It's certainly difficult as a parent to have children asking about leaders who overtly demonstrate hate and lack compassion.

I realize this isn't necessarily new, but it's unfortunate.
[Reply]
Donger 01:13 PM 04-15-2019
I think I may have quoted the wrong post.

Either that or my reading comprehension is incomprehensible.

FAX
No, he just apparently wasn't aware that Paris escaped any real battles in WWII, because the French gave up.
[Reply]
FAX 01:16 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
No, he just apparently wasn't aware that Paris escaped any real battles in WWII, because the French gave up.
No offense, of course ... but, by "real" battles, I'm assuming you think that the fighting by the Resistance wasn't "real" enough ...

Notre Dame was one of the sites held by the Resistance for some time while the Nazis were occupying Paris, actually.

FAX
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 01:17 PM 04-15-2019

A clarification: A fire is currently burning at @notredameparis, not the University of Notre Dame. Our prayers are with all those involved.

— Notre Dame (@NotreDame) April 15, 2019

[Reply]
Donger 01:21 PM 04-15-2019
No offense, of course ... but, by "real" battles, I'm assuming you think that the fighting by the Resistance wasn't "real" enough ...

Notre Dame was one of the sites held by the Resistance for some time while the Nazis were occupying Paris, actually.

FAX
In this instance, "real" meaning destruction of buildings.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:21 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Heh...I was trying to joke about the fact that we were pretty much all a bunch of nerds.

But yeah. That's me. :-)
I can pick em
[Reply]
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up