ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 35
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Joe Thuney to the Chiefs
Dante84 02:08 PM 03-15-2021

Former #Patriots G Joe Thuney is getting a 5-year deal from Kansas City. First bombshell.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) March 15, 2021

������ https://t.co/wWf0RuxRZC

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) March 15, 2021

More details on Joe Thuney's 5-year, $80M deal with the Chiefs:
Signing bonus: $17M
Base salaries: $990K, $13.9M, $15M, $15.5M, $15.5M
Workout bonuses totaling $2.11M

That structure keeps Thuney's 2021 cap number at just $4.5M.

KC still has room to work with in free agency.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 15, 2021

Originally Posted by TribalElder:

[Reply]
staylor26 09:41 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Begs the question, what is most important for a Patrick mahomes OL? We don't have a great record without Eric fisher but is that because fishers backups have been atrocious? Seems to me our biggest weakness has been complete inability to run the ball in short yardage and when the pocket pushes into mahomes especially considering how much he drifts. Not to mention all the tipped passes this year. So I like focusing on the interior.

Now that we have a really solid interior how important are the tackles? Are they must haves or can we settle for decent?
Reid still prefers to leave his T’s out on an island, so I still believe you need above average play at both spots.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:52 PM 03-15-2021
Begs the question, what is most important for a Patrick mahomes OL? We don't have a great record without Eric fisher but is that because fishers backups have been atrocious? Seems to me our biggest weakness has been complete inability to run the ball in short yardage and when the pocket pushes into mahomes especially considering how much he drifts. Not to mention all the tipped passes this year. So I like focusing on the interior.

Now that we have a really solid interior how important are the tackles? Are they must haves or can we settle for decent?
I'm going to side with staylor and say "must haves."

Now, I do think Niang is a sleeping giant at RT. I don't think people realize just how good he was before that hip injury in college.

That basically leaves LT and a solid swing tackle. If they get a good FA LT, they can take a guy like Walker Little to develop in round 3 and he can be a swing guy for a couple of years.

If they can't get a top-shelf LT in FA, then I think you look to get a good swing guy there and then go after a LT in the draft. Either way, Reid requires tackles that can play in space.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:13 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm going to side with staylor and say "must haves."

Now, I do think Niang is a sleeping giant at RT. I don't think people realize just how good he was before that hip injury in college.

That basically leaves LT and a solid swing tackle. If they get a good FA LT, they can take a guy like Walker Little to develop in round 3 and he can be a swing guy for a couple of years.

If they can't get a top-shelf LT in FA, then I think you look to get a good swing guy there and then go after a LT in the draft. Either way, Reid requires tackles that can play in space.
Just made me wonder because I remember Geoff schwartz commenting on Twitter that mahomes tendency to drift hurts his OL. Particularly his tackles. Said he needs to learn to climb the pocket.

Can take that two ways. Maybe a great interior gets mahomes to trust his pocket more. Or, if his permanent tendency is to drift are we always going to put our OTs in a tough spot regardless of who we put out there. I'd agree we need above average tackles... But do we need elite ones now that we have this kind of an interior?
[Reply]
Willie Lanier 11:32 PM 03-15-2021
Just made me wonder because I remember Geoff schwartz commenting on Twitter that mahomes tendency to drift hurts his OL. Particularly his tackles. Said he needs to learn to climb the pocket.

Can take that two ways. Maybe a great interior gets mahomes to trust his pocket more. Or, if his permanent tendency is to drift are we always going to put our OTs in a tough spot regardless of who we put out there. I'd agree we need above average tackles... But do we need elite ones now that we have this kind of an interior?
You raised several good points.

Tackle is the gold standard for OL in this league; but carving out an online built differently to suit a unicorn isn't necessarily the worst idea...

I'm not jumping on any theories just yet but I appreciate the idealistic hope, and I still am holding out for silver sleeves or whatever his name is
[Reply]
wazu 11:40 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Reid still prefers to leave his T’s out on an island, so I still believe you need above average play at both spots.
This. We had hot garbage at tackle in the Superbowl against great edge rushers, and Reid just shrugged it off and called the game as if we had Orlando Pace on both sides. Get that man a great left AND right tackle.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:21 AM 03-16-2021
I think Andy thought he could get away with average guard play but had seen enough.

This offense badly needs quick pass, screens, playaction. Arguably the guard is more important. Not to mention that a lot of CEHs best running is up the gut. We saw how little confidence Reid had regular season when he refused to run against Tampas interior. Tampa annihilated us with stunts. Great defenses slide pass rushers like Aaron Donald inside. I used to be have guard really low on my list but it sure seems like so much of what mahomes needs right now. We need a short game more than we need long pass pro tight now.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:39 AM 03-16-2021
Dude is playing for less than $1m base this year.

For one of the best in the game.

Veach is a total badass.
[Reply]
mkp785 02:27 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Dude is playing for less than $1m base this year.

For one of the best in the game.

Veach is a total badass.
WTF?

His tag number is 4.7 Which is still good but where did you get less then 1 million dollars?
[Reply]
Dull Tools 02:38 AM 03-16-2021
I think Andy thought he could get away with average guard play but had seen enough.

This offense badly needs quick pass, screens, playaction. Arguably the guard is more important. Not to mention that a lot of CEHs best running is up the gut. We saw how little confidence Reid had regular season when he refused to run against Tampas interior. Tampa annihilated us with stunts. Great defenses slide pass rushers like Aaron Donald inside. I used to be have guard really low on my list but it sure seems like so much of what mahomes needs right now. We need a short game more than we need long pass pro tight now.
I am thinking this morning that we are going to go all out for a rookie centre/left tackle in the draft or both hence the need for experience on the inside.

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded up for a tackle now.
[Reply]
royr17 03:18 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
WTF?

His tag number is 4.7 Which is still good but where did you get less then 1 million dollars?
Base is 990 K probably is 4.7 with incentives and bonuses
[Reply]
JakeF 05:17 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
We had hot garbage at tackle in the Superbowl against great edge rushers, and Reid just shrugged it off and called the game as if we had Orlando Pace on both sides. Get that man a great left AND right tackle.
Yep, this chiefs better have a plan for left tackle. Andy doesn't like to help his tackles AT ALL. Fisher went his entire career without help, even against the best pass rushers in the league.

I hope the Chiefs aren't planning on sliding Thuney out to tackle. He's played there before but i would rather not count on him there now. You generally want to move people in, not out. CB to Safety, OT to Guard.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 05:30 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Yep, this chiefs better have a plan for left tackle. Andy doesn't like to help his tackles AT ALL. Fisher went his entire career without help, even against the best pass rushers in the league.

I hope the Chiefs aren't planning on sliding Thuney out to tackle. He's played there before but i would rather not count on him there now. You generally want to move people in, not out. CB to Safety, OT to Guard.
:-)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:41 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:

!!! I wish you would've relayed this info to Veach before we signed Thuney !!
[Reply]
JakeF 05:44 AM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
:-)
What the fuck is your problem with that generic post?

What part isn't true?
[Reply]
Coogs 05:47 AM 03-16-2021
That is a very good video in the OP! Worth the watch!
[Reply]
Page 21 of 35
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up