ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 154 of 3903
« First < 54104144150151152153154 1551561571581642042546541154 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 08:21 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
China went a long time before getting things under control as they were hit first. Yet still, somehow, a country with 1.4 billion people only had about 80,000 infected. That's like .006%.
Because they are communist. They made it against the law to leave your home in Wuhan for about a month. Think they will do that here? They were ripping mother ****ers out of their cars and homes that had it in hazmat suits.

I guess the one benefit of communism and shitting on human rights...the ability to mitigate a pandemic.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:24 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Because they are communist. They made it against the law to leave your home in Wuhan for about a month. Think they will do that here? They were ripping mother ****ers out of their cars and homes that had it in hazmat suits.

I guess the one benefit of communism and shitting on human rights...the ability to mitigate a pandemic.
That was pretty much my reference point, Americans are more likely to ignore it or just say fuck it and not care. Very reasonable chance there will be a much higher spread level here than in China.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:26 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
While I'm not one to underestimate this bug, I'm just not buying that. Countries which have had this longer than us and have been testing aren't showing anywhere near millions infected.
Whats different is that we are 3-4 weeks behind in testing. We have allowed normal life to go on. Most Americans are like I've had cold/flu's who cares about this shit. We cant lock down America like the Chinese did.

Take the tech meeting in Massachusetts. One person infected 70 at the conference. Those people that interacted with those 70 confirmed positive cant get tested because there is no wide spread testing available.

They just let a plane full of people that have been exposed to a know positive test patient leave on landing and go out and possibly infect others.

Again, its a pandemic and should take it seriously and quit minimizing the impact on our elderly population and what its going to our economy. Every single person in the USA is going to be effected one way or another. But, its not a deadly threat to 250+ million of us. It's a temporary thing we have to go through. This isn't a permanent thing.
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:29 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Both my son & sister have autoimmune diseases and get monthly treatments for them. Which, of course, makes everything worse when they get sick. I'm not one to overreact to this, but I'm also not one to sit on my hands either. This does concern me when it comes to them.
I told my sister to isolate as much as possible and her husband and kids should basically change clothes and either wash hands and face vigorously or take a shower before they come near her if they've been out around people. And she needs to become OCD cleaning woman.

I don't think she'll do it though. Her whole life revolves around those kids and being active in the community.

They also have 3 dogs and 3 cats which seem like perfect vectors for a virus to hitch a ride on. Anyone seen how long it lives on pet hair?
[Reply]
Mecca 08:29 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Whats different is that we are 3-4 weeks behind in testing. We have allowed normal life to go on. Most Americans are like I've had cold/flu's who cares about this shit. We cant lock down America like the Chinese did.

Take the tech meeting in Massachusetts. One person infected 70 at the conference. Those people that interacted with those 70 confirmed positive cant get tested because there is no wide spread testing available.

Again, its a pandemic and should take it seriously and quit minimizing the impact on our elderly population and what its going to our economy. Every single person in the USA is going to be effected one way or another. But, its not a deadly threat to 250+ million of us. It's a temporary thing we have to go through. This isn't a permanent thing.
It's going to continue too because people have bills to pay or the "I do what I want" attitude.
[Reply]
Donger 08:32 AM 03-12-2020

I was referring to ROK, not China. Look, even Italy, which apparently took a very "Italian" view of this bug, still only have 12,500 cases.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:32 AM 03-12-2020

I think our POTUS is going to declare a National Emergency which then gives him lots of power to do certain things
[Reply]
wazu 08:36 AM 03-12-2020

Even with that, the virus had circulated through an incredibly dense population before all of this got put in place. Still, really low numbers. Agree that South Korea is probably a better match for U.S. But the numbers for China, if anywhere near accurate, are stunningly low given the global panic that is going on right now.
[Reply]
cdcox 08:36 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
So how come nobody batted an eye when the school ran low attendance because of so many kids out with the flu or flu symptoms? Kids are more likely to get the flu than this but there was zero talk of canceling school. The health care system was getting clogged up with people with the flu and I'm sure theres lots of people who were at risk who didnt get the flu shot. Shouldn't there have been some reaction to that?

There wasn't. Just 'oh be careful its flu season'
1. How many kids with the flu needed to be put on ventilators? This is not the flu.
2. In my area schools close several times a decade because of the flu.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:37 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's going to continue too because people have bills to pay or the "I do what I want" attitude.
Most people are living paycheck to paycheck. They don't have the luxury to work from home or go without a paycheck for a month. America is not going to implement the draconian measures China did to stop the spread. Not going to happen and it shouldn't.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:39 AM 03-12-2020
While I'm not one to underestimate this bug, I'm just not buying that. Countries which have had this longer than us and have been testing aren't showing anywhere near millions infected.
Just posted this 1/2 hour ago. It was a private meeting.

Up to 150 million Americans are expected to contract the coronavirus, congressional doctor says
[Reply]
Donger 08:41 AM 03-12-2020
Just posted this 1/2 hour ago. It was a private meeting.

Up to 150 million Americans are expected to contract the coronavirus, congressional doctor says
Yes, I know. Please note that I took issue with you saying that millions of Americans are probably already infected.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:44 AM 03-12-2020
Yes, I know. Please note that I took issue with you saying that millions of Americans are probably already infected.
I should have said possibly, not probably. My bad.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:45 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I don't think she'll do it though. Her whole life revolves around those kids and being active in the community.
My sister is the same way. She's always doing something to help someone. She helps out with things at church, at school, and with the junior college.

This week she is working a concession stand at the 3A state basketball tourney. Next week she is working a concession stand at the NJCAA tourney. So basically, for the next 2 weeks she's essentially putting herself in the worse possible scenario - out of town/state people handing her money.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 08:45 AM 03-12-2020
https://apnews.com/e7b9d39fd06ed228e7b406d921dd8417

US Capitol closing to public until April amid virus outbreak
[Reply]
Page 154 of 3903
« First < 54104144150151152153154 1551561571581642042546541154 > Last »
Up