ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2347 of 3903
« First < 1347184722472297233723432344234523462347 234823492350235123572397244728473347 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 07:57 AM 06-17-2020
Originally Posted by cookster50:
Yeah, I saw an article the other day about Branson. They where hyping the fact that the number of cases doubled from what they were in March. But then later in the article it said it went from 12 daily to 24 daily. They made a huge deal about it doubling, but really, 12 to 24?
You don't think a doubling of cases is of any importance?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:04 AM 06-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So you're saying their study is bunk?
(sigh)

Someone grab the crayons again.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:05 AM 06-17-2020
So you're saying their study is bunk?
No. But to reduce mortality by 1/3, no one would need to be treated with corticosteroids in the ICU prior to this. Given that they are commonly used, although less so in certain cases applicable to COVID, don't expect a full 1/3 decrease in mortality like some were claiming
[Reply]
petegz28 08:05 AM 06-17-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
The numbers game is a funny one to watch. Our local news station publishes the total case. number daily to try to draw attention to their site. Obviously the total accumulated cases is the biggest scariest number they can use.
That's no joke....we can do that to but will get the ire of CP. So let me preface, Covid is more dangerous than the flu.

That being said, is it really more contagious?

The flu season of 2018-2019 (October 18- March 19?) had 35.5 million people with the flu according to the CDC. So that's just under 6 million people a month.

Now I understand that is an estimate on the part of the CDC but considering we are on pace right now in this country for roughly 12 million cases in a 6 month time frame can we say the flu is more contagious?

But wait, there's more! The CDC estimates the people who have the flu so why not estimate how many people really have Covid? Let's say it's 3 times the amount of known cases. That puts us at roughly 7.5 million cases over the last 3.5 months with gets you roughly 2.1 million cases a month.

So just playing with numbers, can we say the flu is more contagious? IMO you could make the argument.

So on a more hopeful and literal note, as we develop more treatments for Covid and reduce the mortality rate we can see this comin in line with the flu, let's hope anyway.
[Reply]
Donger 08:11 AM 06-17-2020
Influenza has an R0 of ~2.8 and that's with virtually no mitigation efforts.
[Reply]
Pants 08:23 AM 06-17-2020

That's no joke....we can do that to but will get the ire of CP. So let me preface, Covid is more dangerous than the flu.

The flu season of 2018-2019 (October 18- March 19?) had 35.5 million people with the flu according to the CDC. So that's just under 6 million people a month.

Now I understand that is an estimate on the part of the CDC but considering we are on pace right now in this country for roughly 12 million cases in a 6 month time frame can we say the flu is more contagious?

But wait, there's more! The CDC estimates the people who have the flu so why not estimate how many people really have Covid? Let's say it's 3 times the amount of known cases. That puts us at roughly 7.5 million cases over the last 3.5 months with gets you roughly 2.1 million cases a month.

So just playing with numbers, can we say the flu is more contagious? IMO you could make the argument.

So on a more hopeful and literal note, as we develop more treatments for Covid and reduce the mortality rate we can see this comin in line with the flu, let's hope anyway.
Yup. I remember that crazy quarantine and all the lockdowns for the 2018 - 2019 flu season. Amazing comparison. Apples to apples.

Here comes a post from pete asking me where exactly he compared the flu to SARS 2.

You can't make this shit up.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:27 AM 06-17-2020
I seriously hope Pete is being purposely obtuse and isn't missing a chromosome.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:29 AM 06-17-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Yup. I remember that crazy quarantine and all the lockdowns for the 2018 - 2019 flu season. Amazing comparison. Apples to apples.

Here comes a post from pete asking me where exactly he compared the flu to SARS 2.

You can't make this shit up.
Apparently you did not read the post ....it's rather obvious
[Reply]
petegz28 08:29 AM 06-17-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I seriously hope Pete is being purposely obtuse and isn't missing a chromosome.
That goes for you as well. Did you actually read what I posted? No, you didn't. Don't even pretend you did.
[Reply]
Pants 08:32 AM 06-17-2020
Apparently you did not read the post ....it's rather obvious
Of course I read your post. In it, you asked:

The questions came after you provided some rough number totals where you compared the estimated number of flu cases to SARS 2 cases.

What did I miss?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:34 AM 06-17-2020
Of course I read your post. In it, you asked:

The questions came after you provided some rough number totals where you compared the estimated number of flu cases to SARS 2 cases.

What did I miss?
Rough numbers??? :-) Alright, man, what the **** ever.

We know what the CDC said about how many flu cases there were.

We know how many known cases of Covid there are.

I even increased the number of Covid cased by a factor of 3.

Get the **** out of here.

And the entire point of the post which you grossly missed was how you can play with the numbers. Since I was replying to a post about how you can play with the numbers.
[Reply]
Pants 08:39 AM 06-17-2020
Rough numbers??? :-) Alright, man, what the fuck ever.

We know what the CDC said about how many flu cases there were.

We know how many known cases of Covid there are.

I even increased the number of Covid cased by a factor of 3.

Get the fuck out of here.
Okay, so I never even questioned your numbers in my original post. I am not arguing those at all.

I question the validity of taking those numbers and comparing them in a vacuum.

I literally get dizzy when I try to think how anyone can arrive to the conclusion that the flu is more contagious than SARS 2 given everything that has transpired in the entire world since 12/2019.

But I only wanted to bring to your attention that it may be somewhat asinine to compare the flu to SARS 2 when the mitigation efforts for one are not even close to the other.

Hence my sarcastic post about that quarantine and lock downs for the 2018 - 2019 flu season.
[Reply]
tk13 08:40 AM 06-17-2020

I don't think you can say that with any kind of confidence because the country was shut down for two months. We had that many cases while actively trying to prevent the spread, which we never do with the flu. We have no idea yet how many cases there would be if people were allowed to go to work and church like normal.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:42 AM 06-17-2020
Okay, so I never even questioned your numbers in my original post. I am not arguing those at all.

I question the validity of taking those numbers and comparing them in a vacuum.

I literally get dizzy when I try to think how anyone can arrive to the conclusion that the flu is more contagious than SARS 2 given everything that has transpired in the entire world since 12/2019.

But I only wanted to bring to your attention that it may be somewhat asinine to compare the flu to SARS 2 when the mitigation efforts for one are not even close to the other.
Like I said, you missed the entire point of the post to begin with. And to be literal, we have a flu vaccine and still had 35 million cases so just ****ing stop already.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:43 AM 06-17-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I don't think you can say that with any kind of confidence because the country was shut down for two months. We had that many cases while actively trying to prevent the spread, which we never do with the flu. We have no idea yet how many cases there would be if people were allowed to go to work and church like normal.
Again, the point was how you can play with the numbers, as in the media and their headlines.
[Reply]
Page 2347 of 3903
« First < 1347184722472297233723432344234523462347 234823492350235123572397244728473347 > Last »
Up