ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2250 of 3903
« First < 1250175021502200224022462247224822492250 225122522253225422602300235027503250 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:43 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Oh I get it you are allowed to point to data trends and extrapolate them out into crazy conspiracy theories but no one else is?

Just wanna make sure we are on the same page.

And to answer you question, YES there have already been studies saying this EXACT thing is happening.
Yeah, two instances is an example. A correlation like you are making is baldly ridiculous.

"I'm having problems breathing. I better not go to the hospital, I'd hate to get COVID and have to get treatment for breathing problems." I'm sure some people are that stupid. But I doubt that many people are that stupid. And that's ignoring the massive assumptions you're making about underlying mortality of bacterial pneumonia.

If it were heart disease it would make more sense.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 12:45 PM 05-27-2020
This is a lie and has been debunked
Debunked by who?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...ade-them-stop/

Florida's reporting has been a shitshow at best, and purposefully deceiving at worst.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...ng-some-cases/

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...00-coronavirus

https://cbs12.com/news/local/woman-w...m-her-position
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:45 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yeah, two instances is an example. A correlation like you are making is baldly ridiculous.

"I'm having problems breathing. I better not go to the hospital, I'd hate to get COVID and have to get treatment for breathing problems." I'm sure some people are that stupid. But I doubt that many people are that stupid. And that's ignoring the massive assumptions you're making about underlying mortality of bacterial pneumonia.

If it were heart disease it would make more sense.
Read TLO's post 3/4 up.
[Reply]
Donger 12:45 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
You completely missed the point of the previously linked post. AMERICANS are largely doing what's necessary, and from what I've seen with my own two eyes, is that effort is largely being threatened by a community comprised mostly by non-Americans, or products thereof.

There's no crusade to go on against a small minority of Americans who don't want to wear a mask. The VAST MAJORITY are doing what's necessary. I see it every damn day. There is a much larger problem that the country is sticking their head in the sand about. Y'all are choosing the wrong battle here.
No, I get that point. I, too, wish that these non-Americans would wear masks.

My issue with BR, an American, is that he openly stated that he doesn't give a fuck about other Americans dying.

That's why he's a worthless piece of trash.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:47 PM 05-27-2020
This is a lie and has been debunked
Do you ever get tired of just lying nonstop?

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...se/5182813002/

The USA TODAY Network — Florida and other news sites have obtained the Medical Examiners Commission’s data of COVID-19 deaths as part of a public records request. The Florida Department of Health had blocked the commission from releasing the spreadsheet. When the state agreed to release it last week, state officials attempted to redact the narratives with details about each death and the cause of death. The DOH had said they were concerned about privacy. However, that information has always been public in Florida

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/polit...eld/index.html

The Florida Department of Health asked the Florida Medical Examiners Commission not to release the commission's comprehensive list of coronavirus deaths, the commission's chairman told CNN on Thursday.

Dr. Stephen Nelson said that the commission was told by the Florida Department of Health: "Don't send it out."
His comments come after the Tampa Bay Times said that the list from the medical examiners had previously been released in real time, but, after the newspaper reported that the tally was 10% higher than the health department's tally, state officials directed that the list be reviewed and potentially redacted.
The pause in reporting, the Times said, has been occurring for nine days
[Reply]
Ebolapox 12:48 PM 05-27-2020
Ok,

Well there is a difference between bias and none bias. Some of you clearly have a bias and accuse anyone you disagree with of having their own bias.

see, this is the problem I have with anti-intellectualism.

I have a phd in genetics and did a TON of undergrad and early grad school work on infectious diseases. it's the reason I have a hard science phd.

hamas has a phd and goddamn if he's not the smartest motherfucker on this site.

science teaches you very early on that bias is inherent. there are LITERALLY means in science and the scientific method that try to account for bias.

will we ever kill bias? no. it's human nature. when you're doing an experiment you try your best to DISPROVE your hypothesis. that's literally baked into the scientific method. null hypothesis.

but we think about bias all the time... do you? do you deep dive news channels and sources of information that disagree with you? because I see one side of the argument quoting people with a ton of education. I see the other side of the argument spamming fox news and right leaning sources.

look, here's the basic fact of life. neil degrasse tyson is a douche but he's correct: "That's the good thing about science: It's true whether or not you believe in it. That's why it works" (not the whole quote but directly in context). science is a process. yes there is bias inherent in human nature. but one side chooses to study an issue more and try to come up with a solution... the other not so much.

like the phone you're typing on possibly, or your pc? science helped that. have a health problem? yeah, science helped you. there are 7.8ish billion people on this planet and for the life of me I won't understand how like 100 million people in this country and more worldwide are anti-science because it doesn't fit their agenda.

science has one agenda. facts. if you don't like facts, that's ok. but please don't just throw science out the window because you don't like the conclusions it leads us to.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:49 PM 05-27-2020
Read TLO's post 3/4 up.
Read my post again.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:49 PM 05-27-2020
You completely missed the point of the previously linked post. AMERICANS are largely doing what's necessary, and from what I've seen with my own two eyes, is that effort is largely being threatened by a community comprised mostly by non-Americans, or products thereof.

There's no crusade to go on against a small minority of Americans who don't want to wear a mask. The VAST MAJORITY are doing what's necessary. I see it every damn day. There is a much larger problem that the country is sticking their head in the sand about. Y'all are choosing the wrong battle here.
I dunno I was at Nebraska furniture mart the other day and I saw quite a few fat white dudes with goatees not wearing masks...
[Reply]
jdubya 12:49 PM 05-27-2020
911 calls and ambulance transports are down nearly 50% from normal in my county of 1.1 million people. I am told by medics and ER docs that folks who need medical care are too scared to come to the hospitals. Local fire departments with ambulances and private ambulance companies are losing tons of revenue. I have no data as to how many patients have died because of lack of prompt care or not....
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:50 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:

I have a phd in genetics and did a TON of undergrad and early grad school work on infectious diseases. it's the reason I have a hard science phd.

science teaches you very early on that bias is inherent. there are LITERALLY means in science and the scientific method that try to account for bias.

will we ever kill bias? no. it's human nature. when you're doing an experiment you try your best to DISPROVE your hypothesis. that's literally baked into the scientific method. null hypothesis.

but we think about bias all the time... do you? do you deep dive news channels and sources of information that disagree with you? because I see one side of the argument quoting people with a ton of education. I see the other side of the argument spamming fox news and right leaning sources.

look, here's the basic fact of life. neil degrasse tyson is a douche but he's correct: "That's the good thing about science: It's true whether or not you believe in it. That's why it works" (not the whole quote but directly in context). science is a process. yes there is bias inherent in human nature. but one side chooses to study an issue more and try to come up with a solution... the other not so much.

like the phone you're typing on possibly, or your pc? science helped that. have a health problem? yeah, science helped you. there are 7.8ish billion people on this planet and for the life of me I won't understand how like 100 million people in this country and more worldwide are anti-science because it doesn't fit their agenda.

science has one agenda. facts. if you don't like facts, that's ok. but please don't just throw science out the window because you don't like the conclusions it leads us to.
PharmD, not PhD :-)

You guys have a lot more patience for the minutiae of research than I do.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:50 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:

Because we live in an age where people want to believe what makes them feel good and anything that challenges that isn't for studying it's for denying.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:51 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
No, I get that point. I, too, wish that these non-Americans would wear masks.

My issue with BR, an American, is that he openly stated that he doesn't give a fuck about other Americans dying.

That's why he's a worthless piece of trash.
He's not even worth responding to. I just take exception when it's put in those specific terms and I'm tired of it and will call it out every time. You're not the only one though, I've seen it over and over on this board.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:52 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Because we live in an age where people want to believe what makes them feel good and anything that challenges that isn't for studying it's for denying.
Ironic
[Reply]
Ebolapox 12:53 PM 05-27-2020
I mean, look... I can shout all day that the sky is green but I'd be wrong. argue with emotion all day long but the facts... the basic freaking facts... like how a lysosome does its job in the cell (any of you people who think this is a hoax remember high school science and learning about cells?!?) are correct and true regardless of what you want to believe.

by the way, go ahead and challenge me on some basic science, that'd be fun. I only have a peer reviewed article on a lysosomal storage disease caused by a genetic mutation. weird flex, I know, but... for crying out loud, it feels like nobody paid attention to high school science.
[Reply]
Donger 12:53 PM 05-27-2020
He's not even worth responding to. I just take exception when it's put in those specific terms and I'm tired of it and will call it out every time. You're not the only one though, I've seen it over and over on this board.
What specific terms? If your argument is that since you've seen some non-Americans not wearing masks no American should, we'll just agree to disagree.
[Reply]
Page 2250 of 3903
« First < 1250175021502200224022462247224822492250 225122522253225422602300235027503250 > Last »
Up