ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I owe the IRS $4,000
siberian khatru 06:15 PM 02-14-2020
So I get home and the wife says she’s got bad news: A letter from the IRS saying we owe $4,000 on our 2018 taxes.

Apparently, she sent all the right paperwork to our tax preparer, but when the preparer returned the completed forms she forgot to include one. My wife failed to check that and signed the return (and got me to sign off, trusting her) and sent it off.

So here we are. My wife is afraid I’m going to divorce her. (I’m not.)

Anyone have an experience like this? Do we have any recourse? That 4 Grand could buy a lot of Super Bowl swag.
[Reply]
digger 08:36 PM 02-14-2020
The guilt should be enough for weekly blowies for a while... (from the ta guy or your wife)
[Reply]
MahiMike 08:42 PM 02-14-2020
Beats $60K. Put it on a card.
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:51 PM 02-14-2020
payup quick

interest compounds daily

also turbo tax efile
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:57 PM 02-14-2020
Contact your tax preparer today.

Have them call the IRS on your behalf. They should forgive the penalty and interest. If not, your preparer should carry errors and omission insurance. I'd get them to cover the non-tax portion of the liability.

You're on the hook for the tax portion of the liability. If it is income tax (I imagine it is) and you can't swing the cash today the IRS is good about installment plans.

But I reiterate, make your preparer contact them. If you used some fly by night fuckbag, find a better one and have them contact the IRS.

Good luck man.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 08:59 PM 02-14-2020
Sucks.
My withholdings and estimated were short, wrote a check for the difference and penality.
They sent me another bill for 3k.
Snakes on a Plane
What ya gonna do?
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 09:02 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Contact your tax preparer today.

Have them call the IRS on your behalf. They should forgive the penalty and interest. If not, your preparer should carry errors and omission insurance. I'd get them to cover the non-tax portion of the liability.

You're on the hook for the tax portion of the liability. If it is income tax (I imagine it is) and you can't swing the cash today the IRS is good about installment plans.

But I reiterate, make your preparer contact them. If you used some fly by night ****bag, find a better one and have them contact the IRS.

Good luck man.
Tractor dude makes sense. I said screw it and paid.
Pick my battles kind of deal
[Reply]
493rd 09:13 PM 02-14-2020
Get a CPA. Most tax preparers aren’t.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 09:32 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by 493rd:
My tax preparer is a tax attorney. To keep the peace and not pay "let me look into it fees"
I caved.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:41 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by 493rd:
Meh. There are good preparers that are Enrolled Agents or Certified Tax Preparers just as there can be shitty preparers that are Certified Public Accountants.
[Reply]
493rd 10:04 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Meh. There are good preparers that are Enrolled Agents or Certified Tax Preparers just as there can be shitty preparers that are Certified Public Accountants.
That may be. I’m a financial advisor and work with CPAs who don’t make mistakes like the one the OP described. You get what you pay for.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:06 PM 02-14-2020
my gripe is a why do we have to do their job for them? if they are going to take taxes out of our income then they need to take the correct amount out the first time.
[Reply]
Nickhead 11:40 PM 02-14-2020
if the IRS makes no attempt to contact you for back taxes, what is the statute of limitations...

again, asking for a friend :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:44 PM 02-14-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
So I get home and the wife says she’s got bad news: A letter from the IRS saying we owe $4,000 on our 2018 taxes.

Apparently, she sent all the right paperwork to our tax preparer, but when the preparer returned the completed forms she forgot to include one. My wife failed to check that and signed the return (and got me to sign off, trusting her) and sent it off.

So here we are. My wife is afraid I’m going to divorce her. (I’m not.)

Anyone have an experience like this? Do we have any recourse? That 4 Grand could buy a lot of Super Bowl swag.
I got a unexpected $5K tax bill last year. What can you do? The taxman will get his money one way or another.
[Reply]
Shaid 12:05 AM 02-15-2020
I had our tax guy not do stuff correct for 3 years so they did an audit on the one year, found extra we owed and then audited 2 more years. Ended up owing 10k. Tried to fight it, my tax guy literally died during the process and the guy who took over his business refused to do anything with it. Eventually ended up needing to pay the whole thing. Fighting it just cost me more in interest, etc.
[Reply]
scho63 12:08 AM 02-15-2020
Good News and Bad News:

-Bad News is you still owe $4,000

-Good News is you can now PIIHB because she is so ravaged by guilt, she will do anything to get back in your good graces!

Strike while the iron's hot! :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up