ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Next Project
Renegade 08:53 PM 05-21-2019
So I have purchased my tractor. Ready to build a 10-12 chicken coop. I want to use recycled materials and build it on the cheap. Any good plans on CP? I would like one that I can walk into
[Reply]
ping2000 10:39 AM 05-22-2019
Here you go. I'm sure there are plans out there.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 03:15 PM 05-25-2019
This seemed like a good thread for this... just finished this project for my property. I was too indecisive to figure out where I wanted a shed, so I decided to build one that was mobile, so I could pick it up with my tractor.. it is about 6'8" x 7'8" on the base.

This was a particularly fun project since I had to design it all myself and I hadn't ever build a shed before. Learned a lot and it actually worked!!

A couple construction pictures so you can get a feel how we did it.

[Reply]
Renegade 04:03 PM 05-25-2019
Pretty cool idea using pallet forks to move it. Never seen one like it.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 04:20 PM 05-25-2019
Originally Posted by Renegade:
Pretty cool idea using pallet forks to move it. Never seen one like it.
Thanks.. yeah, I have looked around and not seen much like it. I think in the future it will be nice to move to the part of the field we are working on.

We kept joking when someone says, "Oh, I need to go to the shed and get a tool" we can be like "Just bring the shed".. :: chuckle ::
[Reply]
Renegade 05:04 PM 05-25-2019
That is what construction companies do
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:29 PM 05-25-2019
Gator, that looks good.

Couple things, I’d have reinforced it more. It will have a lot of torque on it after you get something in there. Maybe lagbolt some pretty thick angle iron around the bottom to keep the thing square? IDK. I’m far from a structural engineer, other than I’d probably tear that up.

Also, make sure you get something, paint or whatever on the base. It will rot away pretty quick.

Also be careful because it might get heavy for your little tractor
[Reply]
ChiefGator 06:44 PM 05-25-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Couple things, I’d have reinforced it more. It will have a lot of torque on it after you get something in there. Maybe lagbolt some pretty thick angle iron around the bottom to keep the thing square? IDK. I’m far from a structural engineer, other than I’d probably tear that up.
Yeah, that is the real challenge. And unlike most sheds, I can't just build a base and then build up on that base, which is why so much wood extended down into the base as well. We had so many screws and brackets on the thing.. :: chuckle :: Here is a better view of that.. you can also see the planks at the bottom which help to keep it square, and also function as support for the Trex siding sleds the whole shed sits on. My bracket bill was quite hefty I must say.. was surprised at the price of metal brackets, given I used SOO many in it I guess.

Also, make sure you get something, paint or whatever on the base. It will rot away pretty quick.
The wood that comprises the base is external grade pressure treated wood.. most of it claims it could be put IN the ground actually. Of course, it is the new stuff.. not arsenic.

Also be careful because it might get heavy for your little tractor
Yeah, tractor can lift about 3700 pounds. Just need to do light shelving.. and shelving that can lock stuff in place for transport.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:03 PM 05-25-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:
Yeah, that is the real challenge. And unlike most sheds, I can't just build a base and then build up on that base, which is why so much wood extended down into the base as well. We had so many screws and brackets on the thing.. :: chuckle :: Here is a better view of that.. you can also see the planks at the bottom which help to keep it square, and also function as support for the Trex siding sleds the whole shed sits on. My bracket bill was quite hefty I must say.. was surprised at the price of metal brackets, given I used SOO many in it I guess.

The wood that comprises the base is external grade pressure treated wood.. most of it claims it could be put IN the ground actually. Of course, it is the new stuff.. not arsenic.

Yeah, tractor can lift about 3700 pounds. Just need to do light shelving.. and shelving that can lock stuff in place for transport.
Fair enough. I'd have just made a a pallet out of steel and bolted the shed to it. But that may last as long as you need it to. I just haven't had the best of luck with wood weathering very well.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up