ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Next Project
Renegade 08:53 PM 05-21-2019
So I have purchased my tractor. Ready to build a 10-12 chicken coop. I want to use recycled materials and build it on the cheap. Any good plans on CP? I would like one that I can walk into
[Reply]
threebag 08:58 PM 05-21-2019
Check Craigslist people give chickens and coops away occasionally. Might look for wood shipping crates also, they can be picked up on the cheap.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:09 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by Renegade:
So I have purchased my tractor. Ready to build a 10-12 chicken coop. I want to use recycled materials and build it on the cheap. Any good plans on CP? I would like one that I can walk into
Pallets or crates would be best. But I'd just buy some 2x4s and stud out a wall and cover it with plywood then paint it.

My idiot brother in law had one and it looked decent. 3 walls with a door on the 4th. About 4 ft wide Shelves on both sides and a sliding door to let them out. Can't have cost much in lumber.

But if it were me, I saw at an ag conference dude had built one in a horse trailer so he could move it around.

I'll see if I can find some pictures.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:15 PM 05-21-2019
Here is a decent link FWIW.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/art...en-coop.64268/

The one I saw had racks welded on the side for fence panels that he could set up whereever he moved it to.
[Reply]
TribalElder 09:44 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Check Craigslist people give chickens and coops away occasionally. Might look for wood shipping crates also, they can be picked up on the cheap.
Probably a good place to start, once people realize how filthy chickens are they want out of the chicken biz :-)
[Reply]
oldman 09:56 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
once people realize how filthy chickens are they want out of the chicken biz
This. But if you simply must have them, I'd suggest you also look at fencing as well. The hillbilly next door decided she just had to have them and they soon started disappearing. Of course she accused every person in the area with dogs which then caused some hard feelings. I told her it was coyotes, but did she believe me? Nooooooo. Finally, the county mounties were involved and it got ugly. At least their fenced in coop is on the far side of their house now.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:16 PM 05-21-2019
Make it look like the Eiffel Tower, because that would really be cool. Or maybe the Taj Mahal if you can make curved stuff.
[Reply]
frozenchief 10:26 PM 05-21-2019
Watch out for foxes. And lynx. And bobcats. And weasels. And fishers. And neighbors’ dogs.
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:52 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Watch out for foxes. And lynx. And bobcats. And weasels. And fishers. And neighbors’ dogs.
One thing I learned from my chicken farming days is that pretty much everything is the predator of the chicken (including me)
[Reply]
Monty 11:42 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Make it look like the Eiffel Tower, because that would really be cool. Or maybe the Taj Mahal if you can make curved stuff.
Or Mt. Roostmore. That would be cool.
[Reply]
Bump 11:46 PM 05-21-2019
he should get a donkey to chase those things off. Donkey's are cool like that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:57 PM 05-21-2019
Badgers. Badgers eat them things like they're the cure. And they'll burrow right under your fence.

Grandpa told me once that he was going to catch this damn badger eating his chickens. So he stayed up, watching his chickens. Here it comes. He's going to get it! Grabs a shovel. Now this man, could flat run a shovel. They didn't really have much for power equipment where he started. Believe me. He could get the hell after it with a shovel.

So he's armed and he's going to kill this son of a bitch. Fuck yeah!

Badger starts to dig. He runs out there and starts digging. This badger is gaining on him so damn fast, he just runs and grabs a gas can, dumps it down the hole and closes the hole.

:-)

He wasn't a guy that took defeat lightly, but he had to take an L on that deal.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:57 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by Monty:
Or Mt. Roostmore. That would be cool.
Oh, I like that. With carved likenesses of Foghorn Leghorn, Chicken Little, that Kellogg's Corn Flakes chicken, and ... some other famous chicken.
[Reply]
threebag 01:50 AM 05-22-2019
San Diego Chicken???
[Reply]
Renegade 05:08 AM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Oh, I like that. With carved likenesses of Foghorn Leghorn, Chicken Little, that Kellogg's Corn Flakes chicken, and ... some other famous chicken.
Colonel Sanders, even though he isn't a chicken
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up