ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Media Center>Blade Runner 2049
keg in kc 03:34 PM 12-19-2016

(Yeah I know the thread is a q but I ain't bumping anything wendler...)

(That's what she said)
[Reply]
Frazod 08:50 PM 12-29-2017
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
No offense meant, but saying things like this make you sound kinda silly.
Or straight up fucking retarded.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:31 PM 12-30-2017
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
No offense meant, but saying things like this make you sound kinda silly.
Why? Old movies are horrible more often than not. It's not just the special effects either, usually the story telling and character development is just really bad. I feel like we've gotten alot better in the last 15 years at that.
[Reply]
hometeam 03:42 PM 12-30-2017
I watched this the other night. By watched I mean turned it off halfway through. BOOOORING.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 03:49 PM 12-30-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why? Old movies are horrible more often than not. It's not just the special effects either, usually the story telling and character development is just really bad. I feel like we've gotten alot better in the last 15 years at that.
You have GOT to be trolling.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:40 PM 12-30-2017
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
You have GOT to be trolling.
People told me the following old movies were good, and I watched them all. They were so fucking horrible especially Westworld.

Westworld
Indiana Jones
Return of the Jedi
Jaws
Tron
Grease
Friday the 13th
Superman 3

They all sucked.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:53 PM 12-30-2017
People told me the following old movies were good, and I watched them all. They were so ****ing horrible especially Westworld.

Westworld
Indiana Jones
Return of the Jedi
Jaws
Tron
Grease
Friday the 13th
Superman 3

They all sucked.
There are old films that are good. Haven't seen Westwood but none of the other above films would I put on a recommended list for a younger viewer.

Some were okay when they came out. Such as Indiana Jones.

But Tron. :-)
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:15 PM 12-30-2017
Older films do tend to be different. If you can't get past the more limited special effects and production ability, it eliminates a lot of films.

Recent films seem to be all action and not much character development but maybe that's just my bias.

From the era of the films you listed, I would probably put Godfather I & II at the top of a recommended list for someone under 30.

Edited to add:

I would give a qualified recommendation to:

A Clockwork Orange. It won't have the same shock value today. It will seem funny that there was a controversy over whether it should get a R or X rating. But it is a quirky film that is rather funny if you like your humor dark.

Apocalypse Now. The Deer Hunter came out while Apocalypse was still in production, but it was one of the first Vietnam films. The wounds of the war were still really fresh. Does a good job showing how screwed up the war was without being as heavy as some of the other Vietnam films, like Deer Hunter, were.

Rocky Horror Picture Show. Way over the top, campy, parody of the horror and sci-fi films of the day. Became a cult classic. Definitely not for everyone.

Pink Floyd The Wall. Watching this film is a good way to experience a great album.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:21 PM 12-30-2017

Indiana Jones
Jaws

They all sucked.

:-)

The only person on Chiefs Planet who knows anything about movies is Simply Red.

[Reply]
listopencil 12:42 AM 12-31-2017
People told me the following old movies were good, and I watched them all. They were so fucking horrible especially Westworld.

Westworld
Indiana Jones
Return of the Jedi
Jaws
Tron
Grease
Friday the 13th
Superman 3

They all sucked.
What the fuck? Go take a film class or something. What year were you born? Or, if you don't want to say, what decade?
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:28 PM 12-31-2017

Very tiny spoiler:

Rewatched it last night. Some little things I missed. One of them being JOI's ringtone or whatever being "Peter and the Wolf" and the fact that K was a fan of Treasure Island. Both are stories about boys who perform heroic acts. Kind of ties into K's dream about saving the horse and the actions he takes in the movie after discovering the date on the tree.
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:25 AM 01-02-2018
I just watched this last night and absolutely loved it. I liked this way better than the first one actually. I might have to go rewatch the first one again just to see if I caught everything I should have.
[Reply]
bowener 10:21 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I just watched this last night and absolutely loved it. I liked this way better than the first one actually. I might have to go rewatch the first one again just to see if I caught everything I should have.
You plan on watching "The Final Cut" right?
[Reply]
BigRichard 10:51 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by bowener:
You plan on watching "The Final Cut" right?
I am not sure I have ever seen "The Final Cut". But I will look for it.
[Reply]
bowener 02:26 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I am not sure I have ever seen "The Final Cut". But I will look for it.
It is Scott's 'vision' untainted by the studio. The released Director's Cut is not actually his cut. So The Final Cut is the one you should try to watch. If you live near Columbia I'll loan you my Bluray. It has all versions I believe.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:05 PM 01-02-2018
I prefer the workprint version.

On a semi related note: I read Pale Fire today. I didn't understand it, I'm afraid.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Up