ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2755 of 3903
« First < 1755225526552705274527512752275327542755 275627572758275927652805285532553755 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Eleazar 08:50 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Why are we still here? Covid has been defeated. No one knows of course because the Drs that figured it out have been banned from social media.

It's over guys.
Normalize witchdoctors
[Reply]
solidgold 09:02 PM 07-30-2020
We're definitely going to make it through this. There's a lot of promise for both front-end prevention and back-end therapeutics (including what is not clinically proven and being abandoned)--several likely viable options for both areas. A strong case for some people to have pre-existing T Cell immunity responses, particularly from the CD4 variety. Also getting a better understanding of the biomarkers that can predict poorer outcomes (e.g., IL6 is a heavy contributor for the cytokine storms that cause the hallmark system failures for COVID-19). It's a marathon though...

What's really crazy is just how much this parallels the 1918 "influenza" outbreak. Sports cancelations, social distancing in workplaces, heightened hygiene procedures, arguing over masks, even down to outcomes for American Samoa and Western Samoa (one shut borders, one did not). We're right back to some of the same shit, just a different day. We'll likely stop doing all those extra things, just like the early 20s, and we'll hope to not need to repeat them again next time.

Ultimate outcome is likely the same as "Spanish Flu"--it settles into a seasonal endemic of some kind or other and we progressively adapt better to it (good old T cells, except for the fact they like to be less effective as we age and that likely means it will still be dangerous for older people and the very young) and be able to churn out some good medicines. Basically this will very likely become quite flu-like, but we're not there yet and have some more work to do and manage until then.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:15 PM 07-30-2020
The euphoria when this is over is going to be amazing.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:26 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
200 million or so I think he saiid for us. The Oxford vaccine will be around 400 million for the US as well. We should have plenty if both work out
I'll take one.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 10:30 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Karens and anti-maskers get at the back of the line.

Half of them won't take it anyway. But they're gonna freak out when their kids can't get into school w/o a shot. They are going to absolutely lose their shit.
I would hope it’s more than just Karen’s and anti-maskers losing their shit in that scenario. There is not nearly enough scientific data to support making a vaccine mandatory for school age children at this point.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 10:32 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by solidgold:
We're definitely going to make it through this. There's a lot of promise for both front-end prevention and back-end therapeutics (including what is not clinically proven and being abandoned)--several likely viable options for both areas. A strong case for some people to have pre-existing T Cell immunity responses, particularly from the CD4 variety. Also getting a better understanding of the biomarkers that can predict poorer outcomes (e.g., IL6 is a heavy contributor for the cytokine storms that cause the hallmark system failures for COVID-19). It's a marathon though...

What's really crazy is just how much this parallels the 1918 "influenza" outbreak. Sports cancelations, social distancing in workplaces, heightened hygiene procedures, arguing over masks, even down to outcomes for American Samoa and Western Samoa (one shut borders, one did not). We're right back to some of the same shit, just a different day. We'll likely stop doing all those extra things, just like the early 20s, and we'll hope to not need to repeat them again next time.

Ultimate outcome is likely the same as "Spanish Flu"--it settles into a seasonal endemic of some kind or other and we progressively adapt better to it (good old T cells, except for the fact they like to be less effective as we age and that likely means it will still be dangerous for older people and the very young) and be able to churn out some good medicines. Basically this will very likely become quite flu-like, but we're not there yet and have some more work to do and manage until then.
Good post :-) But one difference we've seen is the types of people that are being effected by this virus compared to the the spanish flu. The median age of the spanish flu deaths was 28 years old. Now that's super interesting to me. And I'm not trying to be disingenuous towards the older crowd, but that thing was taking down fully healthy bodies which is super crazy. This is almost the reverse spanish flu.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:47 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
Good post :-) But one difference we've seen is the types of people that are being effected by this virus compared to the the spanish flu. The median age of the spanish flu deaths was 28 years old. Now that's super interesting to me. And I'm not trying to be disingenuous towards the older crowd, but that thing was taking down fully healthy bodies which is super crazy. This is almost the reverse spanish flu.
Being 28 in 1918 isn’t like being 28 today. Life expectancy back then was 36-46 so you were practically an old man.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:14 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by solidgold:

Delusional.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:25 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
I would hope it’s more than just Karen’s and anti-maskers losing their shit in that scenario. There is not nearly enough scientific data to support making a vaccine mandatory for school age children at this point.
Well of course there isn't enough data. We don't even have a vaccine yet. But when we have one that passes clinical trials and everyone is taking it, I assume schools are going to require that kids have it, for the same reason Brazil required proof of a yellow fever shot.

Don't believe in vaccines? Fine. Home school your kids or find some crazy religious school that will take you.

I mean we're all supposed to be out there risking our 1 in 500 chance of dying and 1 in whatever chance of long term health issues to to keep the economy alive right? What's the difference with taking a 1 in whatever risk of a bad vaccine? Suck it up for the team.

This is what world travel is going to continue to look like for people who refuse to take the vaccine once it's widely administered:

[Reply]
dlphg9 01:29 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Being 28 in 1918 isn’t like being 28 today. Life expectancy back then was 36-46 so you were practically an old man.
It's kinda nuts looking at the life expectancy over the years.

Year

M

F

Formatting is weird, but should be easy to follow still. 1918 life expectancy was dropped so low cuz of the Spanish Flu
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:32 AM 07-31-2020
Well of course there isn't enough data. We don't even have a vaccine yet. But when we have one that passes clinical trials and everyone is taking it, I assume schools are going to require that kids have it, for the same reason Brazil required proof of a yellow fever shot.

Don't believe in vaccines? Fine. Home school your kids or find some crazy religious school that will take you.

I mean we're all supposed to be out there risking our 1 in 500 chance of dying and 1 in whatever chance of long term health issues to to keep the economy alive right? What's the difference with taking a 1 in whatever risk of a bad vaccine? Suck it up for the team.

This is what world travel is going to continue to look like for people who refuse to take the vaccine once it's widely administered:

Should make vaccines mandatory and if you don't get your kid vaccinated then you don't deserve the kid because you're too damn stupid.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:13 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
It's kinda nuts looking at the life expectancy over the years.
I'm curious though how much of that is because of infant mortality or kids dying really young of various diseases. I'd be interested to see the average lifespan in those same years of anyone who makes it to their teens. I bet it's a lot older. I don't think people were just constantly dropping dead in their 40s at the turn of the 19th-20th century.
[Reply]
loochy 05:45 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Should make vaccines mandatory and if you don't get your kid vaccinated then you don't deserve the kid because you're too damn stupid.
I'm all for vaccines in general, but is it crazy that I'm super cautious of a vaccine that is rushed to market?
[Reply]
loochy 05:46 AM 07-31-2020

But, of course, we're sure to let everyone come here.
[Reply]
Donger 06:05 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Why are we still here? Covid has been defeated. No one knows of course because the Drs that figured it out have been banned from social media.

It's over guys.
Yesterday:

68,569 new cases. 1,465 new deaths.
[Reply]
Page 2755 of 3903
« First < 1755225526552705274527512752275327542755 275627572758275927652805285532553755 > Last »
Up