ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2657 of 3903
« First < 1657215725572607264726532654265526562657 265826592660266126672707275731573657 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
solidgold 07:35 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yeah, cause I am blowing it off. That's the problems with people like you. I state the actual, factual data and you get pissed off about it. You can run out all the straw men you want but that doesn't change the actual data and you're pissed about it.

That data shows what is shows. I didn't make it that way. It's not my fault if I look at the data rather than one or two cases and make my assumptions.

In fact, lew, you are case proof of my point, but yeah, you know, I am blowing it off.
You're totally right, Pete. That's what tk and lew, as well as many others, are saying... however, there is still 1 case that ends terminally for that 1 person; while not terminal, that 1 death alone likely affects several other real people. Now we add in those cases that don't end terminally, but not well. That's not acceptable for something that can be mitigated. No one is saying mitigation is absolute prevention, but it is undeniable that there are mitigation strategies that are feasible. Let's do them.

What's better? Wear masks and socially distance for a few weeks, as needed, and still be able to go just about whenever we need to while mitigating poor outcomes (to whatever degree that may be)? Or is it doing what we're doing now, or worse?

Even if the first strategy doesn't work as well as we wanted, at least it is something we can own.

To rephrase the quote and philosophy for what I believe it should really be: "My rights end where another's begins." Do your thing, but let's consider others as well.

BTW, pete--don't take any of my reply too personally. Mainly just using it as an entry point. Totally understand my take is no more valid than anyone else's.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:35 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
The "actual data" says 3.7% of the people who have tested positive for COVID in America have died.

The "actual data" says that about 60,000 people in America are hospitalized for COVID right now.

I don't know what you're even talking about. It's not even based in any kind of reality.
Of course it isn't.....
[Reply]
petegz28 07:39 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by solidgold:
You're totally right, Pete. That's what tk and lew, as well as many others, are saying... however, there is still 1 case that ends terminally for that 1 person; while not terminal, that 1 death alone likely affects several other real people. Now we add in those cases that don't end terminally, but not well. That's not acceptable for something that can be mitigated. No one is saying mitigation is absolute prevention, but it is undeniable that there are mitigation strategies that are feasible. Let's do them.

What's better? Wear masks and socially distance for a few weeks, as needed, and still be able to go just about whenever we need to while mitigating poor outcomes (to whatever degree that may be)? Or is it doing what we're doing now, or worse?

Even if the first strategy doesn't work as well as we wanted, at least it is something we can own.

To rephrase the quote and philosophy for what I believe it should really be: "My rights end where another's begins." Do your thing, but let's consider others as well.

BTW, pete--don't take any of my reply too personally. Mainly just using it as an entry point. Totally understand my take is no more valid than anyone else's.
I didn't realize I was some how debating masks? I never even mentioned them or mitigation for that matter.

All I did was point out that for every serious case there are several non-serious cases and we need to keep perspective. that doesn't say anything other than we need to keep perspective. That's it. That's all. Some just don't get that.
[Reply]
TLO 07:42 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I said that when we passed World War I. That's unfathomable to me. This thing has killed more Americans than some of our biggest wars, and it did it in less than 6 months.

It's really that people have gotten good at lying to themselves because they're more interested in scoring political points than being an actual person.
This type of statement never makes any sense to me. There are a lot of things that kill more Americans in 6 months time than died in our biggest wars. And it happens year after year after year.

This doesn't take away anything from covid being a new and scary disease. I just don't get the comparison.
[Reply]
solidgold 07:44 PM 07-18-2020
I didn't realize I was some how debating masks? I never even mentioned them or mitigation for that matter.

All I did was point out that for every serious case there are several non-serious cases and we need to keep perspective. that doesn't say anything other than we need to keep perspective. That's it. That's all. Some just don't get that.
Again, not personal. For real, pete, I don't think you're unreasonable with your overall take. You get it is real, I know you take precaution and want things to turn out well. Perspective is needed, but there are still extreme outcomes and takes that can't just be glossed over.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:46 PM 07-18-2020

That applies to other diseases like cancer. Do people normally minimize cancer?
[Reply]
petegz28 07:47 PM 07-18-2020
I don't want to discount these types of cases at all but people point to them and in doing so ignore to 99 other cases that are not like that. We have got to keep perspective on this. Does anyone think lew is going to die? NO! And the ****er has had it twice as far as we know.
Again, not personal. For real, pete, I don't think you're unreasonable with your overall take. You get it is real, I know you take precaution and want things to turn out well. Perspective is needed, but there are still extreme outcomes and takes that can't just be glossed over.

Again, people read what they want.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:49 PM 07-18-2020
:-) :-) - a few weeks. . .
[Reply]
solidgold 07:52 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
:-) :-) - a few weeks. . .
...if everyone does it with fidelity, and as needed. If that doesn't work, then here we are living the case in point anyway. At least we for real tried and no worse off.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:55 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
That applies to other diseases like cancer. Do people normally minimize cancer?
Another fucking straw man? Really? When I found my both my Granparents had cancer I didn't go into a panic that I might have cancer and end up like them. There is a difference between acknowledging a situation and pretending every situation is just like that one.

Mu Boss had all kinds of cancer inside him at the age of 48, my age. He went through surgery and all is well now and he will live a long life.

So what's your point?
[Reply]
lewdog 07:56 PM 07-18-2020
7 year anniversary for the wife and I today.

What a shitty time. She’s no better than when this started.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:59 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
7 year anniversary for the wife and I today.

What a shitty time. She’s no better than when this started.
Man that sucks. At least you guys are together for it :-)

Can always paint an award for pete for his months of dedicated concern trolling, together.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:59 PM 07-18-2020
...if everyone does it with fidelity, and as needed. If that doesn't work, then here we are living the case in point anyway. At least we for real tried and no worse off.
Hopefully the vanguard for a vaccine prevails
[Reply]
petegz28 08:00 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
This type of statement never makes any sense to me. There are a lot of things that kill more Americans in 6 months time than died in our biggest wars. And it happens year after year after year.

This doesn't take away anything from covid being a new and scary disease. I just don't get the comparison.
Good post.
[Reply]
eDave 08:01 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Man that sucks. At least you guys are together for it :-)

Can always paint an award for pete for his months of dedicated concern trolling, together.
I think he's talking about his wedding day.
[Reply]
Page 2657 of 3903
« First < 1657215725572607264726532654265526562657 265826592660266126672707275731573657 > Last »
Up