ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2932 of 3903
« First < 1932243228322882292229282929293029312932 29332934293529362942298230323432 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 05:04 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Why do you indulge him? He knows perfectly well what the gig is. Anyone who has a basic understanding of math knows how percentages work.

Again, there is nothing wrong with reducing tests and testing only those who "need" to be tested.

But you cannot do that then portray it as if you are doing random tests or make statements like "that means 10% of the people are positive" when in reality the numbers say 10% of the people who showed symptoms, were exposed or otherwise had a particular "need" to be tested were positive.
Prove that testing has decreased, pete.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:05 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
On the other hand you don't need any special medical training to know how numbers work.
And yet there are people claiming COVID death rates are over-counted by 1600 percent.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:12 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
And yet there are people claiming COVID death rates are over-counted by 1600 percent.
Meh, that's a play on the literal numbers and headlines. Technically speaking only 6% of the deaths were from Covid and only Covid.

That being said while people choose to do that there are people who do the opposite as well.
[Reply]
Donger 05:17 PM 08-31-2020
Does anyone actually die from COVID-19 and if so, how? We know that many people who get it contract ARDS or pneumonia, and that is what kills them.

Hamas?
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:41 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Well unless you can argue a covid patient wouldn't have survived covid even without the serious underlying health condition there is truth to the belief.

Unless you can argue against the fact average age of a covid death is right around average mortality rates, its valid to point out the numbers are questionable.
[Reply]
TLO 05:47 PM 08-31-2020
So I had 2 clients I had to send for testing on Saturday. We get a call from Urgent Care today that the lab has had a mishap, and their specimens were destroyed.

WTF...

Thankfully my guys aren't showing any symptoms. I think everything is going to turn out ok, but c'mon Quest.

Had to take them back out to be retested today which they weren't happy about, to say the least.
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:32 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Does anyone actually die from COVID-19 and if so, how? We know that many people who get it contract ARDS or pneumonia, and that is what kills them.

Hamas?
It is in Russia!
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:05 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
The assumption in this case is that they are only testing people with symptoms. Apparently this is to drive a political agenda.
Didn't the CDC say to test less?

So if you test non symptomatic people its an agenda to find too many cases and if you only test symptomatic people it is an agenda to drive the positive test rate up?

:-)
[Reply]
petegz28 06:25 AM 09-01-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Didn't the CDC say to test less?

So if you test non symptomatic people its an agenda to find too many cases and if you only test symptomatic people it is an agenda to drive the positive test rate up?

:-)
The CDC said to test only if you have symptoms. Not "test less". There is a significant difference.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:08 AM 09-01-2020
WHO Manifesto for a healthy recovery from COVID-19

[Reply]
htismaqe 07:11 AM 09-01-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
WHO Manifesto for a healthy recovery from COVID-19

So we got COVID because of our dependence on fossil fuels?

Isn't that like saying that we had Hurricane Katrina because God wanted to punish gays?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:16 AM 09-01-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So we got COVID because of our dependence on fossil fuels?

Isn't that like saying that we had Hurricane Katrina because God wanted to punish gays?
I just thought it was creepy that WHO keeps pushing the "Can't Have Your Life Back" messaging. It makes me wonder what else they are going to try next.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:20 AM 09-01-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I just thought it was creepy that WHO keeps pushing the "Can't Have Your Life Back" messaging. It makes me wonder what else they are going to try next.
I kept waiting for some actual steps to fight COVID but all I heard were steps to fight climate change. I'm pretty confused right now.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:02 AM 09-01-2020
Originally Posted by :
August 30th COVID Fact Check - Are only 6% of COVID-19 deaths actually from COVID-19?

OBVIOUSLY this is not true.

Thankfully, this is a pretty quick one to debunk. I’m sure the media outlets will get on it relatively quickly, but this is simply one more egregious misstatement of fact related to how the CDC does it’s normal course of reporting.

The simple answer is that it’s actually quite common for there to be multiple conditions on a death certificate. The way death certificates are filled out is that a series of conditions are listed in order as to how they led to the death in Part I. For example, the death certificate for a suicide by gunshot would likely have the cause of death as a gunshot of course, but depression as well. You wouldn’t say that the person didn’t die of the gunshot wound because depression was also on the death certificate. Depression was a contributing cause to the firearm injury. Diseases are treated the same way. COVID-19 will rarely be the only contributor to the cause of death. Commonly, COVID-19 causes acute respiratory acidosis which leads to death. There is also a Part II of the death certificate, in which any potentially related co-morbidity that may have made the deceased more likely die of the conditions in Part I. For example, someone with diabetes, asthma, COPD, etc is more likely to die from COVID-19 if they contract it. This doesn’t mean COVID-19 didn’t kill them.

As an example, a 40 year old individual with asthma might have lived for decades had they not contracted the virus, but the asthma will still appear in Part II as an underlying condition that MIGHT have contributed to the severity of the COVID-19 which led to the acute respiratory acidosis from which the man actually died. It’s pretty rare for a death certificate resulting from disease to have just the disease on the paperwork.

Bottom line: Having there be 6% of COVID-19 death certificates in which “Covid-19 was the only cause mentioned” per the CDC is NOT the same thing as saying that only 6% of COVID-19 deaths are from COVID-19. In ALL of those deaths, COVID-19 was a specific contributor to the chain of events that led to death. Without that infection, it would not be expected that the individual would have died at that time.
From a data modeler I follow who definitely knows his stuff wrt to how death certificates and healthcare stats reporting works.
[Reply]
kgrund 09:12 AM 09-01-2020
Two major stories came out last two days the CDC 6% everybody is focusing on and the NYT article discussing the major flaws in the PCR testing. Is it just me that thinks the NYT article about the PCR testing is the far more news worthy of the two?
[Reply]
Page 2932 of 3903
« First < 1932243228322882292229282929293029312932 29332934293529362942298230323432 > Last »
Up