ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2456 of 3903
« First < 1456195623562406244624522453245424552456 245724582459246024662506255629563456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 05:39 PM 06-28-2020
60 minutes tonight did a story on the shitty antibody tests and how we can’t believe any of them currently. The CDC should be leading this effort but appears to MIA.
[Reply]
TLO 06:53 PM 06-28-2020
285 on Worldomoters today.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:59 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
285 on Worldomoters today.
About 14 over last Sunday which is marginal really.
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:45 PM 06-28-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Lecture, no. But, they should have some lessons learned from all of this... doesn't necessarily mean it's one size fits all, but Arizona should take all the advice they can get right now.
That’s for sure.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:48 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7111094/c...alth-problems/

Risk of never fully recovering after coronavirus ‘very real,’ scientists say
Honestly, that's what worries me the most.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:02 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
60 minutes tonight did a story on the shitty antibody tests and how we can’t believe any of them currently. The CDC should be leading this effort but appears to MIA.
No shit, testing has been absolutely bullshit through this whole process. My wife and I believe we've already had it, and possibly continue to get it, as we have recurring symptoms every now and then, but nothing like the times we got sick in late February and throughout March. However, we'll never know because the antibody tests are scarce and half of the time, possibly bullshit. Just have to wait on the vaccine but I don't know if I'd trust it given how little effort we've put into medical process of this whole thing. I wouldn't put it past this country to waste money into an 80% fix, don't get me wrong I'll get it, but I won't be apart of the first wave. My job allows me that comfort where I can stay remote and wait it out a little bit.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:25 AM 06-29-2020

This may sound controversial but bear with me....

I think we need to prepare to *live with* the Coronavirus.

People think we're coming out of the worst but the opposite is true. This is the worst its been so far. pic.twitter.com/6QDqmBWtGI

— Sunny Hundal (@sunny_hundal) June 28, 2020

What's definitely true is that the global community really need to rethink what "normal" means, and stop acting like we can just go back to things as they were before all this started.

There's a great moment in the book World War Z where a character who comes across as an expy for John Kerry (think Alan Alda voices him in the audiobook) points to a sign he has on his office wall:

ngredients:
molasses from the United States
anise from Spain
licorice from France
vanilla (bourbon) from Madagascar
cinnamon from Sri Lanka
cloves from Indonesia
wintergreen from China
pimento berry oil from Jamaica
balsam oil from Peru

and then drops this.
And that’s just for a bottle of peacetime root beer.

If a pandemic is sweeping the planet then reliance on such global networks of trade, needless to say, become severely compromised.

It's high time that people in positions of power start being upfront about the fact that, as of now, there is no "going back to normal". So many things taken for granted, from international ingredients for stuff we expect to be able to buy for $1 at the deli, to the crammed offices we work in, to schools being open five days a week and through later hours, to churches that can fit hundreds or thousands of people, to major sporting events, to transit involving large numbers of people, to sitting down at your favorite bar or restaurant, etc., all of them are major vectors for transmission if there are no major precautions taken.

And if we're upfront about that, then we need to be upfront about what follows: that if these places and practices build on getting as many people into one space as possible cannot go "back to normal", then the business and sectors of the economy they're involved in are going to tank, as well. This basically demands some kind of restructuring of that economy, to ensure that people aren't forced to choose between exposure to the virus if they go to work, or facing eviction or starvation if they don't, as well as trying to create an environment where businesses don't have to fail under the current circumstances. I can't say I'm confident that'll happen quickly, if at all, given the vested interests who are currently benefitting from the crisis (see: Jeff Bezos literally becoming a trillionaire, which the board doesn't even recognize as a word as I type it in).

Because the scary thing is that just about everything we know about COVID 19 is barely half a year old, and that means there's tons we're still learning. Latest thing I read about was how the virus apparently attacks insulin-producing cells; this could lead asymptomatic people to catch the virus, not know they ever had it, recover, yet still find themselves now more susceptible to diabetes. Hopefully some more research is done that allays fears on that front, but it's currently a very real possibility, because there's so much we still don't know yet. And if there's eventually a vaccine, it'll still take likely in the area of two years to administer it globally.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:39 AM 06-29-2020
Sunny Hundal best known as the founder and editor of the centre-left group blog Liberal Conspiracy.*
:-)
[Reply]
Mecca 07:43 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Sunny Hundal best known as the founder and editor of the centre-left group blog Liberal Conspiracy.*
I was just using the graph he posted not looking at anything else...is the graph political too?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:50 AM 06-29-2020
The good doctor hopeful to have 100 million doses of a vaccine by the end of the year.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fauci...ign=benshapiro
[Reply]
phisherman 07:51 AM 06-29-2020
Breathe, dude.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 07:59 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Breathe, dude.
THATS HOW YOU GET COVID19 MORON!
[Reply]
Donger 09:50 AM 06-29-2020

Of note: hospitals are seeing younger patients now in June compared to March around when coronavirus started appearing in North Texas. Seeing a sharp jump in hospital patients ages 21-40. 50% of hospitalizations are under 50, 30% critical care under 50. @FOX4 pic.twitter.com/kUqFl8a7Zt

— Lynnanne Nguyen (@LynnanneFOX4) June 22, 2020

[Reply]
Bearcat 09:52 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
THATS HOW YOU GET COVID19 MORON!
[Reply]
loochy 10:00 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well that makes sense since that's like 80% of the population here

Also, I tripped over a pile of dead dudes at the gas station this morning.
[Reply]
Page 2456 of 3903
« First < 1456195623562406244624522453245424552456 245724582459246024662506255629563456 > Last »
Up