ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3895 of 3903
« First < 2895339537953845388538913892389338943895 3896389738983899 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MagicalFruit 05:44 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Why didn't people take it the first go around?
- Supposed fear of long term side effects
- Vaccines being more(?) dangerous than what it's preventing
- Do the really work at all
- Youtube doctors
- People die everyday, who cares if they die from this thing (while simultaneously caring deeply about the minuscule chance of dying from the vaccine)
....other reasons?

Which of those reasons goes away with another pandemic, considering as you just said, the technology had already been in development for decades? And add to it, didn't die last time.

Hell, you just quoted Daface to say we should be afraid of the vaccines killing people, which his hilariously terrible math... if you still aren't convinced they're safe 2 years later, well, just multiply that by a 150 million people.

Fewer people will take them because Dunning Kruger + confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.
Depending on how many years until the next pandemic, I would think these 3 could be somewhat addressed:

If the next pandemic is, say, 20 years from now, that would be a lot better long term data than the 2 years we currently have.
Again, in 20 years mRNA technology and testing damn well better be more tested. Also, depending on what it is preventing (i.e. something more serious than what COVID-19 turned out to be)...more people might find the risk/reward more palatable.
Again, 20 years more of research will undoubtedly help.

Also, I didn't quote DaFace to say we should be afraid of the vaccines killing people, but rather to say "oh well" if he does die from it...Since he has the same sentiment about me for not getting it.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:01 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by MagicalFruit:
Depending on how many years until the next pandemic, I would think these 3 could be somewhat addressed:

If the next pandemic is, say, 20 years from now, that would be a lot better long term data than the 2 years we currently have.
Again, in 20 years mRNA technology and testing damn well better be more tested. Also, depending on what it is preventing (i.e. something more serious than what COVID-19 turned out to be)...more people might find the risk/reward more palatable.
Again, 20 years more of research will undoubtedly help.

Also, I didn't quote DaFace to say we should be afraid of the vaccines killing people, but rather to say "oh well" if he does die from it...Since he has the same sentiment about me for not getting it.
The main reason I have my doubts on that is the science/technology will mostly likely change and the next thing may not be a coronavirus, so it won't be apples to apples... at least not enough to convince people who clearly don't want to be convinced.

And potentially, two+ decades will have gone by as you said, so the people in their 30s-40s right now who are part of the lowly 30% fully vaccinated group in the first 6 months it was available, will now be 50 or 60+... and guess what, those percentages are already really high. A lot more of the skeptics will take it for no other reason than being old. The needle isn't going to move a ton on the gross number of people taking it.

And those who will be in their 30s or 40s will have been 10-20 during Covid, so are they sitting around now caring about how this vaccine does?
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:06 PM 08-29-2022
Modern day Nostradamus with that first bolded part!

For the second bolded part...it cuts both ways my friend.
That's not the same thing at all.

He's saying that people lose patience when solutions exist and people won't embrace them and end up getting hurt or killed.

You're saying that it's the same thing as somebody trying to save themselves and having it not work. It's not. It's exactly the opposite.

It would be like him saying that people lose patience with people who decide to stand on the beach when a hurricane approaches, and you're saying that people who get caught in a flood while on the evacuation route from a hurricane deserve no pity.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:08 PM 08-29-2022
I sure hope the vaccines will be better, hopefully a lot has been learned from this go around. But why do you think fewer people will take them?
Read the vaccine thread in DC and get back to me.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:21 PM 08-29-2022
Do we think anything good has really come from this pandemic?
If we ever have a more severe type of pandemic. There will not be many people left.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:33 PM 08-29-2022
Any updated thoughts on this? Do we think anything good has really come from this pandemic? Any amazing medical advancements? Are we more prepared for a much more dangerous pandemic?

I am thinking that at this point we are less prepared, honestly.
I think some good has come out of it in terms of lessons learned. I think that people are better about staying home when they're sick and not spreading stuff. Similarly, a person wearing a mask is not seen as weird like they were pre-pandemic if people understand that they're trying to not spread germs. I think people are better about general hygiene to avoid germs, like washing their hands more often, and we saw some nice lasting changes like the little foot-grabby things and arm-grabby things to open doors. I also personally hope that we've seen the end of handshakes, which I've never liked.
[Reply]
phisherman 07:31 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
What does "being prepared" mean, though? If a tornado wipes out a town, does that mean the town wasn't prepared? If someone dies in a car accident, was the driver not prepared? Was Steve Irwin prepared when a stingray killed him?

Everything we do is a calculation between risk we face and effort required to mitigate that risk. We could blow the entire world's budget doing research and drills for pandemics, only to have an asteroid hit us in a year and wipe out all life on the planet because we didn't fully appreciate that risk.

We've certainly learned a lot these past few years, and I disagree strongly with the idea that we're "less prepared" - most people just didn't appreciate the risks like they do now. And it's almost undeniable that our mitigation efforts kept the death toll much lower than it could have been otherwise.

But does that mean that it'll never happen again? Of course not. We live on a rock that doesn't give a shit if we're here or not, so all we can do to "be prepared" is to assess the risks as accurately as we can, prepare accordingly, and hope that the probabilities play in our favor.
Oh, I don't think that we're any less prepared. We were winging it and the CDC totally failed with their messaging.

We are certainly more prepared now for something like Covid but that doesn't mean that things are going to go any better if the same kind of event pops up.
[Reply]
BigRichard 11:33 AM 08-31-2022
Anyone heard of Enovid?
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/202...treat-covid-19

It is apparently being sold in Israel and you can order it and get it here. My mom has asked me to order some but I am leery. But she ended up in the hospital after her second shot of the vaccine so she can't get anymore per her doctor and she has COPD so she is high risk.
[Reply]
TLO 11:42 AM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Anyone heard of Enovid?
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/202...treat-covid-19

It is apparently being sold in Israel and you can order it and get it here. My mom has asked me to order some but I am leery. But she ended up in the hospital after her second shot of the vaccine so she can't get anymore per her doctor and she has COPD so she is high risk.
Looks like it is moving into a phase 3 study in October. I have no idea if it works or not.

You can order it on Amazon, but it's pricey.

I doubt it would hurt to try. But as far as actual b results, who knows.
[Reply]
BigRichard 11:51 AM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by Hank Hill:
Looks like it is moving into a phase 3 study in October. I have no idea if it works or not.

You can order it on Amazon, but it's pricey.

I doubt it would hurt to try. But as far as actual b results, who knows.
We have a family get together coming up and she wants to attend. She is thinking about using this around that time.
[Reply]
ArrowHeader 12:34 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
We have a family get together coming up and she wants to attend. She is thinking about using this around that time.
If your mom had a bad reaction to vaccine I would make sure her doc advises on a nasal spray before trying it Willy nilly. They have nasal sprays being developed in the US which show promise. Won’t be long before you see them next to the cold medicine at the pharmacy.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 03:26 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Why didn't people take it the first go around?
- Youtube doctors
- People die everyday, who cares if they die from this thing (while simultaneously caring deeply about the minuscule chance of dying from the vaccine)
....other reasons?

Which of those reasons goes away with another pandemic, considering as you just said, the technology had already been in development for decades? And add to it, didn't die last time.

Hell, you just quoted Daface to say we should be afraid of the vaccines killing people, which his hilariously terrible math... if you still aren't convinced they're safe 2 years later, well, just multiply that by a 150 million people.

Fewer people will take them because Dunning Kruger + confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.
I didn't take it because I studied the data. I am in the basically safe from COVID group.
[Reply]
TLO 03:40 PM 08-31-2022
Meanwhile. The FDA approved an update to the existing vaccine today. I haven't seen any data on it. Supposedly all the data they have right now is in mice.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:42 PM 08-31-2022
I tested positive....have a cold..

missing the first few days of school. It sucks.
[Reply]
TLO 03:42 PM 08-31-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I tested positive....have a cold..

missing the first few days of school. It sucks.
You're faking it. Get back to work!!!!
[Reply]
Page 3895 of 3903
« First < 2895339537953845388538913892389338943895 3896389738983899 > Last »
Up