ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1504 of 3903
« First < 504100414041454149415001501150215031504 150515061507150815141554160420042504 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 11:40 AM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
I can only speak for myself, but I'm having a hard time finding the middle ground.

Even WITH the guidelines in place, there are still a LOT of people out running around, not wearing masks, not distancing. People are already acting reckless. Lots of reasons why, and that's for another thread.

We saw yesterday in Florida thousands on the beach in JAX within 30 minutes of the order being lifted.

I'd be shocked if people don't take advantage of the situation when the opportunity presents itself. Give an inch, they'll take a mile. Then we're right back to February, and the late March/early April is really gonna suck this time.

As if 37k dead didn't suck enough.
That's because people are lying to themselves to feel better. That's harsh but probably true. We have pretty much shut down the country and some areas are actually doing a good job, and we're still going to have a million cases that we know about, and tens of thousands of deaths.

The real issue is that people are able to use this virus to blame the economy. When things re-open we aren't going to have that excuse, and it's going to be a bad situation when the economy stays in the tank because life actually doesn't go back to normal. And then you'll see businesses shutting down like that pork plant because people are spreading it around. That's going to be horrible for the economy.

There is no middle ground. The economy will be fine when people can go about their lives without the fear of catching this thing.
[Reply]
jdubya 11:40 AM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The estimates of deaths without mitigation was between 1 and 2.2 million. So no, not countless.
What models were those numbers from?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:43 AM 04-18-2020
It's up to the governors, really.
If you want to get technical about it then yes but my point still stands. Our politicians have all the information, it is up to them to make the correct decision. Im trusting them on this when they say they are ready to ease restrictions.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:43 AM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
More philosophical than political, but certainly entirely in keeping with the discussion already going on.

I can't help wondering, for the national conversations of the future, supposing everything DOES work out for the most part, and people get back on their feet, . . . will there be any worth or contemplation to be had when people starting complaining that the wealthy are too greedy, and the wealthy of the future reply 'Bitch!, . . . remember when we put everything on hold and in absolute peril to save your fucking life?'
And of the courtesy clerks and cashiers that were risking theirs for $10/hour?
[Reply]
Donger 11:44 AM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
I don't believe that Dr. Birx provided that information specific to those figures, but we know they are utilizing at least a models.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:44 AM 04-18-2020
It`s definitely helped for sure but stopping this economy is unsustainable. I was just questioning "countless". We dont really know how many lives may or may not have been saved. It`s based on models which are about as accurate as I am when throwing a baseball with my foot. I think our CIC knows this economic shutdown is unsustainable for much longer so we are going to have to get back to work very soon and learn to deal with this new virus
Poor choice of words what I meant by countless was millions of lives which I think is safe to say.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:44 AM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Screw them, they're poor people.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:49 AM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Originally Posted by stumppy:
So, status quo . . .
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:50 AM 04-18-2020
So, status quo . . .
It's not status quo, it's a rebuttal to point of view that this sacrifice is somehow asymmetrical in both intent and risk.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04-18-2020, 11:52 AM
This message has been deleted by Baby Lee.
Monticore 11:52 AM 04-18-2020
If we didn't close things down I think most of the businesses would still be struggling with a lot of the work force getting sick , and knowing 1 restaurant worker is positive a lot of people might not chose to go there.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:57 AM 04-18-2020
I didn't assert a POV, I asked a question.
Like I said I want to avoid the politics of it, but it appears that this might be an impossible ask.
You want to discuss the merits of different POVs, I'd be game. But I don't think the mods would assent.

There is, however, an asymmetry. People who risk to continue to perform work duties do have a choice. There's a safety net for those who don't feel able, and they are not being prohibited OR commanded by force of law.
This is definitely not the place to have this debate, because I don't think it's very stable ground to argue that a question phrased like this is not loaded:

will there be any worth or contemplation to be had when people starting complaining that the wealthy are too greedy, and the wealthy of the future reply 'Bitch!, . . . remember when we put everything on hold and in absolute peril to save your fucking life?'
[Reply]
TLO 11:58 AM 04-18-2020
I don't believe that Dr. Birx provided that information specific to those figures, but we know they are utilizing at least a models.
I believe the big scary number came from the Imperial College in London. I believe those were the numbers shown assuming no social distancing was put into place. (Up to 2.2 million American deaths)

That model then backed everything way, way down not too long after. For example they predicted 500k deaths in the UK, then backed it down to 50k.I'm unsure of the variables that led to this back off.

Not long after that, the White House showed a model that predicted 100k - 240k Americans dying even with social distancing measures in place.

We then learned that the model the White House was using was very similar to the IHME model we all know and love. I distinctly remember Dr. Birx referencing this.

Dr. Fauci then explained that models are good, but we can't base all of our decisions on them. (So many different variables that go into models)
[Reply]
Monticore 11:58 AM 04-18-2020
As far as sports go some league maybe not want to play without fans not all league have huge tv contracts/sponsors.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:00 PM 04-18-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Apparently we don't mind putting them out of work and causing their employers to go out of business so wtf?
[Reply]
petegz28 12:01 PM 04-18-2020
So NY's first reading today is 540 new deaths. By far their lowest in weeks. Now, are they going to report again or is this the only report? They've been going back and forth lately. Yesterday was really weird but whatever.
[Reply]
Page 1504 of 3903
« First < 504100414041454149415001501150215031504 150515061507150815141554160420042504 > Last »
Up