ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3099 of 3903
« First < 2099259929993049308930953096309730983099 31003101310231033109314931993599 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 09:59 AM 11-12-2020
My small town of 10k is having 15-30 cases per day and we are almost up to 1000 total cases. I bet our positivity rate is sky high. Anyway they are having outbreaks in the schools as well (shocking I know) so starting today they closed the HS and going all virtual. Don't know why they aren't doing it for the rest since there is outbreaks in all of them but we are shit hole town. Can't even get a mask mandate.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:10 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Might be with the n95s but generally speaking I think we oversimplified the message of masks. Contrary to what some want to assert, more people are wearing a mask globally than ever and it isn't preventing cases from shooting up.

Not only are masks just a piece of what needs to be done, bad mask etiquette and such all but negate the mask. And then as I said, I think masks just aren't as good as we hoped in general. The anecdotal evidence says more people are wearing masks and yet more people are getting Covid. And when cases do rise many seem quick to say "well they aren't wearing a mask" when that is most likely not the case.
Look at the Asian countries and you see no large outbreaks and that was because they have huge masks usage. Taiwan had 4 cases yesterday, Vietnam 26, looks like Japan had the largest at 1100.
[Reply]
O.city 10:11 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Look at the Asian countries and you see no large outbreaks and that was because they have huge masks usage. Taiwan had 4 cases yesterday, Vietnam 26, looks like Japan had the largest at 1100.
They also had previous exposure likely to SARS, so there's some pre existing immunity
[Reply]
O.city 10:12 AM 11-12-2020
Public health is about giving the public information and encouraging them to follow it. There's no force, it doesn't work.

Mandating masks aren't gonna work. It's too widespread.

Testing and a vaccine is your way out. Pfizer says they can vaccinate 12.5 million people by the end of the year in US. Start with nursing homes and front line workers. Thats a start.
[Reply]
Pants 10:14 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Public health is about giving the public information and encouraging them to follow it. There's no force, it doesn't work.

Mandating masks aren't gonna work. It's too widespread.

Testing and a vaccine is your way out. Pfizer says they can vaccinate 12.5 million people by the end of the year in US. Start with nursing homes and front line workers. Thats a start.
Let's fucking go!
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Let's ****ing go!
The Moderna vaccine is similar to Pfizer and then you've got the Oxford vaccine as well.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping it's not the incoming train though.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:17 AM 11-12-2020
Why do people keep comparing us to other countries? There's really not a valid comparison point
[Reply]
petegz28 10:18 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Why do people keep comparing us to other countries? There's really not a valid comparison point
No, it is not. A few short months ago Dr. Birx said we should be more like Italy.
[Reply]
Pants 10:19 AM 11-12-2020
The Moderna vaccine is similar to Pfizer and then you've got the Oxford vaccine as well.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping it's not the incoming train though.
It's hard for me to spew optimistic shit given the way COVID has impacted your family. The vaccines certainly give us hope in this time of crazy case growth bad news cycle.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:20 AM 11-12-2020

So the two leaders are both going to be using mRNA vaccines?

How far behind is Oxford?
[Reply]
kgrund 10:21 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Do you think people aren't wearing masks in meat packing plants and care facilities? Those are the #1 and #2 cluster areas.
From what I have heard from other experts the #1 safeguard is not masks but rather social distancing. Social distancing without masks is greater than masks without social distancing. This reconciles with these two areas. Both places require breaking of social distancing. Nursing homes for obvious reasons and meat packing plants due the significant noise that requires close contact to communicate.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:23 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
From what I have heard from other experts the #1 safeguard is not masks but rather social distancing. Social distancing without masks is greater than masks without social distancing. This reconciles with these two areas. Both places require breaking of social distancing. Nursing homes for obvious reasons and meat packing plants due the significant noise that requires close contact to communicate.
I would agree thus my saying I think we oversimplified the "just wear a mask" message.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:24 AM 11-12-2020
I kind of think that any discussions of "lockdowns" should be required to include a definition of what you're talking about. We've had mandatory masks and reduced capacity at restaurants and workplaces here for pretty much the entire time. Is that a "lockdown"? Because when I think of lockdowns I think stay at home orders, all restaurants and schools closed, etc.

I think it's very unlikely we'd go back to that style of lockdown, but it wouldn't surprise me if things tighten up with some of the less severe restrictions.
[Reply]
O.city 10:24 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So the two leaders are both going to be using mRNA vaccines?

How far behind is Oxford?
Oxford is finishing up phase 3 last I read and results should be out anytime.

There are 3 or 4 others not far behind.

I hate putting an exact time on it, but I'd guess by late spring 2021 this will be pretty much over. Not all due to vaccines sadly, but with immunity from infections and vaccines etc.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:26 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I kind of think that any discussions of "lockdowns" should be required to include a definition of what you're talking about. We've had mandatory masks and reduced capacity at restaurants and workplaces here for pretty much the entire time. Is that a "lockdown"? Because when I think of lockdowns I think stay at home orders, all restaurants and schools closed, etc.

I think it's very unlikely we'd go back to that style of lockdown, but it wouldn't surprise me if things tighten up with some of the less severe restrictions.
I think we know what is meant when they say lockdown. They mean shutting it all back down again like we did in April\May. Otherwise we are exactly where you said we are so the only thing you can infer is shutting it all down.
[Reply]
Page 3099 of 3903
« First < 2099259929993049308930953096309730983099 31003101310231033109314931993599 > Last »
Up