ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3046 of 3903
« First < 2046254629462996303630423043304430453046 30473048304930503056309631463546 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 07:51 PM 10-25-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
6 weeks in to the mandatory mask mandate. It was never going to have an impact.
If cases are plateaued woildnt that be an effect?
[Reply]
O.city 07:52 PM 10-25-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Honestly I think it comes down to who is being hospitalized. If they are younger they generally are in and out fairly quickly. There is still plenty of beds available at the moment and we are not seeing a strain on resources at the time though we are busy.
Well yeah

But again, the more spread there is the harder it is to shield those who need shielded
[Reply]
petegz28 07:55 PM 10-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Well yeah

But again, the more spread there is the harder it is to shield those who need shielded
Yep, no easy answers to that. I've told my Parents I think they need to pick and choose carefully where they go and for how long and to use things like curb side and delivery services.

I got told to mind my own business.

But they are not the issue. The issue is the ones in care facilities. Those are victim of employees bringing the virus in, not them going out and contracting.
[Reply]
O.city 08:05 PM 10-25-2020
Yep, no easy answers to that. I've told my Parents I think they need to pick and choose carefully where they go and for how long and to use things like curb side and delivery services.

I got told to mind my own business.

But they are not the issue. The issue is the ones in care facilities. Those are victim of employees bringing the virus in, not them going out and contracting.
My parents told me the same thing a few months ago.

Then our family started dying and things changed. They’re picking and choosing what they do now.

Their church has had an elder and like 4 other members pas in the past 2 weeks so they’re all on high alert
[Reply]
O.city 08:06 PM 10-25-2020
And those in facilities aren’t victims

The ones bringing it in may not know they have it. Or they’re sick but can’t afford to not work
[Reply]
petegz28 08:09 PM 10-25-2020
My parents told me the same thing a few months ago.

Then our family started dying and things changed. They’re picking and choosing what they do now.

Their church has had an elder and like 4 other members pas in the past 2 weeks so they’re all on high alert
It's tough. I have my Wife's Aunt who is super mask, super isolation and well into her 70's.

Then there's my Parents that are like "if I hide until they figure this shit out I'll either be dead or won't be able to go out and enjoy life for other reasons".

I mean it's tough to tell people who know they are in the home stretch of life to spend what might be the rest of their days locked up inside and in fear.

I get it. I mean I wouldn't want to work my ass off and get into retirement and then get told, sorry, at the time you're supposed to be enjoying the rest of your years we're gonna need you to go ahead and just stay home.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:11 PM 10-25-2020
And those in facilities aren’t victims

The ones bringing it in may not know they have it. Or they’re sick but can’t afford to not work
I don't mean victim as in someone is purposely infecting them. Just that they are already isolated and locked down and they are getting it because someone is bringing it in.
[Reply]
O.city 08:12 PM 10-25-2020
It's tough. I have my Wife's Aunt who is super mask, super isolation and well into her 70's.

Then there's my Parents that are like "if I hide until they figure this shit out I;ll either be dead or won't be able to go out and enjoy life for other reasons".

I mean it's tough to tell people who know they are in the home stretch of life to spend what might be the rest of their days locked up inside and in fear.

I get it. I mean I wouldn't want to work my ass off and get into retirement and then get told, sorry, at the time you're supposed to be enjoying the rest of your years we're gonna need you to go ahead and just stay home.
When it hits close to home, it’s easier to reason staying a bit more isolated. It doesn’t mean you can’t do anything, just make smart decisions.

We’re gonna cancel all our big holiday gatherings this year. It sucks for sure but it is what it is.

We’re around the corner from vaccines and better therapeutics So just gotta make it a couple more months
[Reply]
O.city 08:13 PM 10-25-2020
I don't mean victim as in someone is purposely infecting them. Just that they are already isolated and locked down and they are getting it because someone is bringing it in.
How do you stop it from getting in them?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:14 PM 10-25-2020
When it hits close to home, it’s easier to reason staying a bit more isolated. It doesn’t mean you can’t do anything, just make smart decisions.

We’re gonna cancel all our big holiday gatherings this year. It sucks for sure but it is what it is.

We’re around the corner from vaccines and better therapeutics So just gotta make it a couple more months
We hope anyway. It seems that way but who knows. I've always been of the opinion until we have the vaccine I am not banking on us having a vaccine. It looks as if we will but again, believe it when I see it.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:16 PM 10-25-2020
How do you stop it from getting in them?
That's a tough one. Stricter screening and testing is about all you can do. I think that's where these rapid tests can come into play. Each person gets tested as they walk in the door and you can't work until you're clear. You can never eliminate the risk 100% but I am not sure what else you can do.

That being said we can't shut down the rest of the world either. As my Grandmother said until the day she died in her late 90's, "getting old ain't for pussies".
[Reply]
O.city 08:23 PM 10-25-2020
That's a tough one. Stricter screening and testing is about all you can do. I think that's where these rapid tests can come into play. Each person gets tested as they walk in the door and you can't work until you're clear. You can never eliminate the risk 100% but I am not sure what else you can do.

That being said we can't shut down the rest of the world either. As my Grandmother said until the day she died in her late 90's, "getting old ain't for pussies".
We won’t be back up running as normal as long as the virus is running rampant.

It’s why the “just shield those at risk” thing was kinda cover for “we gotta just get back to normal and hope for the best”

Controlling the spread was always the best way back to normal
[Reply]
petegz28 08:29 PM 10-25-2020
We won’t be back up running as normal as long as the virus is running rampant.

It’s why the “just shield those at risk” thing was kinda cover for “we gotta just get back to normal and hope for the best”

Controlling the spread was always the best way back to normal
Controlling yes but some people for various reasons want to equate controlling with preventing.

It was said at the very start the entire point of flattening the curve was to prevent the hospitals from being overrun and people dying because they could not get care. Everyone from medical to mathematical professionals all stated that flattening the curve meant in theory the same amount of people would affected but over a longer period of time.

I know the hope was it would prevent some deaths and maybe even some infections and it probably did on the margins.

I think you get that so I am not saying you were one of the people saying otherwise. Just that at times I think we have to realize there really is only so much we can do one way or the other. Once the vaccine is out things will probably get better but probably not nearly as fast as some think or hope.
[Reply]
O.city 08:36 PM 10-25-2020
Controlling yes but some people for various reasons want to equate controlling with preventing.

It was said at the very start the entire point of flattening the curve was to prevent the hospitals from being overrun and people dying because they could not get care. Everyone from medical to mathematical professionals all stated that flattening the curve meant in theory the same amount of people would affected but over a longer period of time.

I know the hope was it would prevent some deaths and maybe even some infections and it probably did on the margins.

I think you get that so I am not saying you were one of the people saying otherwise. Just that at times I think we have to realize there really is only so much we can do one way or the other. Once the vaccine is out things will probably get better but probably not nearly as fast as some think or hope.
Controlling the spread with more testing early like we are now would have helped.

Once we know hospitals are getting crushed we can be a bit more lax but the problem is it it will eventually ramp back as long as there are viral vectors.

It’ll take a bit to vaccinate everyone but again it could happen quick and efficient but there are politics things we’d have to talk about that aren’t supposed to happen here anyway
[Reply]
petegz28 08:40 PM 10-25-2020
Controlling the spread with more testing early like we are now would have helped.

Once we know hospitals are getting crushed we can be a bit more lax but the problem is it it will eventually ramp back as long as there are viral vectors.

It’ll take a bit to vaccinate everyone but again it could happen quick and efficient but there are politics things we’d have to talk about that aren’t supposed to happen here anyway
I think we just didn't have the infrastructure to do the kind of testing we are now. We didn't have the tests and we didn't have the labs to process all of the tests.

But I agree, I think there are some aspects at play that we can't talk about in here but it does bring up the ironic or otherwise coincidental timing of the surge in cases in relation to events taking place in the next 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Page 3046 of 3903
« First < 2046254629462996303630423043304430453046 30473048304930503056309631463546 > Last »
Up