ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2999 of 3903
« First < 1999249928992949298929952996299729982999 30003001300230033009304930993499 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Demonpenz 04:55 PM 09-28-2020
The boat and yacht Club is at mile marker 444 which is across from Lake contrary that is how I know the illegal Mexicans with covid are still spreading like candy out of a piniata
[Reply]
TLO 05:10 PM 09-28-2020
Our cases per day are higher than I ever thought we'd see them around here.
[Reply]
jdubya 09:50 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Our cases per day are higher than I ever thought we'd see them around here.
Somewhere Donger is getting a chubby
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:09 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
All of this true. The only thing on our side (a little) is how much of the population has some sort of immunity. Based on the IFR of around 0.6%, we can guesstimate that around 10% of the USA population has some sort of immunity or antibodies. The question is how big of a dent will that put in the increased Covid-19 numbers from the cold and flu season we will start to see in about a month. if 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 15 people can't really spread the virus, I'm hoping that can go a long way.
Yep, I've been saying this for a while too.

On this forum I get pushback for saying cold weather could be bad.

In a parallel universe liberal politics forum I'm on - I get pushback for saying partial herd immunity could work in our favor for the coming winter.

Crazy world.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:18 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, you also gotta figure there is a fairly large amount of the population who aren't really "susceptible" to this thing. Atleast that woudl be the hope.
It could explain why herd immunity happens at less than the expected 70-80%:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...-herd-immunity

Originally Posted by :
The Brazilian city of Manaus was hit hard by COVID-19. At the peak of its epidemic in late spring, the city of over 2 million people had 4.5 times as many deaths as expected for that time of year. Hospitals and cemeteries struggled to keep up, and mass graves were dug to bury the dead. But then, cases and deaths steadily declined, despite a relaxing of social distancing measures.

That trajectory has prompted some researchers to suggest that Manaus has reached herd immunity. In a report posted September 21 at medRxiv.org that has yet to be peer reviewed, researchers suggest that herd immunity developed in the city after 44 to 52 percent of the population was infected at the epidemic’s peak, and that slowed subsequent spread of the virus.

“These are the highest [infection] levels I’ve seen,” says Elitza Theel, a clinical microbiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., who wasn’t involved in the study. That high infection rate may very well have impacted the trajectory of the epidemic. “That is how herd immunity works,” she says. “But it comes at a high cost … their death rate was very high.”

[Reply]
O.city 09:09 AM 09-29-2020
Our positivity rate in Greene county is finally coming down a little bit. Down to almost 10% now.
[Reply]
TLO 09:16 AM 09-29-2020
Our positivity rate in Greene county is finally coming down a little bit. Down to almost 10% now.
We're still getting hammered up here. High positivity rate and high hospitalizations. I'm legitimately concerned we may run out of hospital space.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:27 AM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
We're still getting hammered up here. High positivity rate and high hospitalizations. I'm legitimately concerned we may run out of hospital space.
Nearly 2 weeks into the mask mandate. That shows you how little a mandate helps.
[Reply]
O.city 09:42 AM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Nearly 2 weeks into the mask mandate. That shows you how little a mandate helps.
With incubation periods and such, the mask mandate wouldn't have had time to have an effect yet.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:43 AM 09-29-2020
With incubation periods and such, the mask mandate wouldn't have had time to have an effect yet.
If it worked we should be on the verge of seeing it. I'd say 2-3 weeks out.
[Reply]
O.city 09:48 AM 09-29-2020
If it worked we should be on the verge of seeing it. I'd say 2-3 weeks out.
Once you get that much community spread going, it's gonna take a while to get it under control.

Hospitalizations are usually 2/3 weeks post initial infection.

Again, no one is saying masks are gonna bring this down to zero. But masks in addition to distancing and proper hygiene will hopefully allow us to keep hospitals and such doing ok and we continue forward.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:17 AM 09-29-2020
Once you get that much community spread going, it's gonna take a while to get it under control.

Hospitalizations are usually 2/3 weeks post initial infection.

Again, no one is saying masks are gonna bring this down to zero. But masks in addition to distancing and proper hygiene will hopefully allow us to keep hospitals and such doing ok and we continue forward.
It sounds nice in theory, but we don't live in a lab. Many won't comply and even if everyone did it would only help some. My point is a mandate is pretty much useless.

Pulling your shirt over your nose as you run into Speedys isn't going to help a whole lot. People can bitch, white and cry about people not doing x y and z but it is what it is.
[Reply]
O.city 10:20 AM 09-29-2020
It sounds nice in theory, but we don't live in a lab. Many won't comply and even if everyone did it would only help some. My point is a mandate is pretty much useless.

Pulling your shirt over your nose as you run into Speedys isn't going to help a whole lot.
Running into and out of a gas station or whatever Speedys is isn't where this is spreading. It's long term exposure in a poorly ventilated area.

So masking and distancing in workplaces etc is where it should be focused.
[Reply]
Donger 10:20 AM 09-29-2020

Pulling your shirt over your nose as you run into Speedys isn't going to help a whole lot. People can bitch, white and cry about people not doing x y and z but it is what it is.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:22 AM 09-29-2020
Running into and out of a gas station or whatever Speedys is isn't where this is spreading. It's long term exposure in a poorly ventilated area.

So masking and distancing in workplaces etc is where it should be focused.
Most of that stuff was already being done. That additional mandate won't have much of an impact IMO. It was PR for the mayor getting blasted by the vocal minority.
[Reply]
Page 2999 of 3903
« First < 1999249928992949298929952996299729982999 30003001300230033009304930993499 > Last »
Up