ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1917 of 3903
« First < 917141718171867190719131914191519161917 191819191920192119271967201724172917 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:32 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Testing is one of the reasons why we are watching Korean baseball on espn instead of American .
You could fit S.Korea within Missouri.

And I haven't checked on their baseball league, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit the entire enterprise on a college campus.

And the testing still seems to have more problems with efficacy than procurement.

Oh, and I don't watch Korean baseball, barely watch American unless I can lounge in a stadium seat.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:32 PM 05-06-2020

[Reply]
petegz28 07:34 PM 05-06-2020
Testing is one of the reasons why we are watching Korean baseball on espn instead of American .
Here we go again.......
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:34 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
So have we moved on from worrying about overwhelming the hospitals and health care system to now worrying about how everyone is going to catch this? Because I basically assumed everyone understood they are indeed going to catch this at some point.
Couple more weeks and we should know more.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:34 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I'm not going to belabor this, because I just don't have the passion to put up with people much anymore.

But I know that that the prevention of overwhelming the system was highly stressed, and the matter of the length of the lockdown was avoided, BECAUSE I ASKED. And I know why it's been evaded, it's speculative and even the speculation hasn't moved from an estimate of months, perhaps more than a year, . . . at least so far as meeting the metrics of 'safe resume' is concerned.

Just don't lie. We [the royal we] mentioned generalities about resumption but we predicated quarantine on avoiding medical services being overwhelmed. And the generalities about resumption are and have always been about avoiding 'when do we come out of a bunker' because we're scared to admit 'not for a good while.'

It was not avoided, the length was not explicitly guaranteed by public health authorities because it was unknown how long it would take to reach the peak. When you have exponential growth of a virus with an unknown seed bed you can't make assumptions as to when you are going to hit the peak, especially when the replication factor and underlying infections are unknown.

And I've said it on here time and time again:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I know this is an anxious time, but the worst thing you can be right now is impatient. If I have a patient getting antibiotics for sepsis, I don't stop the antibiotics whenever their CRP and lactate levels start to drop. All I'm going to do in that case is cause a rebound infection and make things worse, because the therapies I previously used may not as be as effective and the patient will clinically worsen.

We don't just need to get to the peak: we need to get past the peak and then down the slope on the other side so as to avoid another peak that is as bad or worse than the first.
When talking about the need to get the R-effective down more than a month ago:

If the virus peaks and then declines, the R-effective is less than 1.

From 538:

Moreover, interventions such as social distancing are being undertaken to bring down R, although actions can vary from location to location. The goal, though, is to get R below 1, which means that a disease begins to die out in a population. (It will die out gradually if R is close to 1 and quickly if it’s close to zero, say, 0.2.

If you practice enough distancing to lower the effective R0 of the virus to less than one, you will reach a peak sooner with fewer cases because the virus is being transmitted to less than one additional person for every infection, and thus, cannot sustain itself past the incubation and convalescent period.
The fact that this was not presented before it patently false.
[Reply]
wazu 07:34 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
So no peanuts, but did they at least do the rolls with butter?
Yes. I'm keto so didn't partake, but my oldest gave rave reviews.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:35 PM 05-06-2020
I understand that and the US did do a decent job with what they had I was just pointing out the benefits of testing , like s Korea an Germany .
[Reply]
petegz28 07:36 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Couple more weeks and we should know more.
This should be called "The Two Week Virus" because every time you turn around all we here is the peak should happen in 2 weeks, we will know more in 2 weeks, things will start getting better in 2 weeks.....:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:37 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
This is a really good article about a possible way forward. The Hammer and the Dance.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
Here's a good article that seedy posted in late March that lays out the process we're going through.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:37 PM 05-06-2020
I understand that and the US did do a decent job with what they had I was just pointing out the benefits of testing , like s Korea an Germany .
What good does testing do if 5 minutes after I test negative i go to the grocery store and get infected by someone?
[Reply]
Monticore 07:38 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
What good does testing do if 5 minutes after I test negative i go to the grocery store and get infected by someone?
Because testing might have caught those people who infected the store before they went.

Just catching 1 extra infected person here and there when you have exponential growth makes a difference.
[Reply]
tk13 07:39 PM 05-06-2020
That is true, South Korea is like half the size of Missouri.

Now on the other hand, there are like 50 million people there. There's only about 6 in Missouri. It is way, way, way more dense.

In South Korea there are 1366 people per square mile. In Missouri it's like 87. It's not like South Korea is devoid of challenges. The way this virus behaves. a dense area like that would be a great place for the virus.
[Reply]
O.city 07:40 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
You keep testing

It’s not a one and done
[Reply]
petegz28 07:41 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
This is a really good article about a possible way forward. The Hammer and the Dance.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
Cliff notes....
[Reply]
tk13 07:41 PM 05-06-2020
I guess it should also be noted that Missouri has more COVID deaths than South Korea despite having 45 million less people.
[Reply]
Page 1917 of 3903
« First < 917141718171867190719131914191519161917 191819191920192119271967201724172917 > Last »
Up