ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 17
« First < 51112131415 1617 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Maryland's Key Bridge collapses after it was struck by a container ship
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:22 AM 03-26-2024

Shocking footage. Maryland's Key Bridge collapses after it was struck by a container ship.

pic.twitter.com/u8xXrhICJu

— Rita Panahi (@RitaPanahi) March 26, 2024

SITUATION REPORT: BALTIMORE BRIDGE COLLAPSE

- At 1:28 a.m. ET, a large container ship struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore.

- Large parts of the bridge immediately collapsed, sending multiple vehicles into the water, including a group of construction workers.

-… pic.twitter.com/QGHPeCyQLR

— BNO News (@BNONews) March 26, 2024

[Reply]
Otter 12:46 PM 03-27-2024
Attached: bo and luke.jpg (40.7 KB) 
[Reply]
ForeverChiefs58 12:46 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by cdcox:
There is no bridge in the world that can withstand a direct impact with a fully-loaded container ship.
When has this ever happened before?
[Reply]
Otter 12:49 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58:
When has this ever happened before?

In recent history...
I
[Reply]
ForeverChiefs58 12:57 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Otter:

Transport ships hitting overhead bridges is a rare but serious occurrence that can result in significant damage to both the ship and the bridge, as well as potential environmental and safety hazards. While such incidents are relatively uncommon, here are a few notable examples:

• Bay Bridge Collision (San Francisco, USA - 2007): In November 2007, the container ship Cosco Busan struck a support tower of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge in dense fog. The collision resulted in a gash in the ship's hull, causing a significant oil spill into the San Francisco Bay.
  • River Thames Collision (London, UK - 2015): In September 2015, the cargo ship Saga Sky collided with the underside of the Kew Railway Bridge on the River Thames in London. The collision caused damage to the bridge, and the ship was stuck underneath for several hours, disrupting river traffic.
  • Ems River Collision (Germany - 2020): In December 2020, the cargo ship Siderfly collided with a railway bridge over the Ems River in northern Germany. The collision caused significant damage to both the ship and the bridge, leading to the closure of the railway line.
  • Suez Canal Incident (Egypt - 2021): While not a collision with a traditional overhead bridge, the incident involving the container ship Ever Given in the Suez Canal in March 2021 can be seen as a similar type of mishap. The ship ran aground and became wedged diagonally across the canal, blocking traffic in one of the world's busiest shipping lanes for nearly a week, causing significant disruption to global trade.
These incidents underscore the importance of proper navigation procedures, communication, and situational awareness for maritime traffic to avoid collisions with bridges and other structures.
I meant to cause bridge to just collapse

Ships have done damages before, but I’ve never seen so much of a bridge just collapse into the water from being hit by a ship.
[Reply]
Frosty 01:16 PM 03-27-2024

Ships have done damages before, but I’ve never seen so much of a bridge just collapse into the water from being hit by a ship.
35 times between 1960 and 2015 according to this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2518801.html
[Reply]
loochy 02:10 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Frosty:

Wow, that's a lot of Russian cyberattacks
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:44 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by loochy:
Wow, that's a lot of Russian cyberattacks
Some of them were Soviet cyberattacks.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:51 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Okay, this probably should be a DC statement, so I'll spoiler it. I think it's relevant enough that I'll take the hit if I need to delete it.

Spoiler!
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'm now distracted by the possessive form of Arkansas. I'm pretty sure that the right answer is technically "Arkansas's" but I have no idea how one would say that aloud...
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:56 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Frosty:

Those damn DEI policies of the 1960's...
[Reply]
loochy 03:06 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'm now distracted by the possessive form of Arkansas. I'm pretty sure that the right answer is technically "Arkansas's" but I have no idea how one would say that aloud...

Arkansas' or Arkansas's are both correct.

The pronunciation would be ARK AN SAWS or ARK AN SAW ZIS
[Reply]
siberian khatru 03:41 PM 03-27-2024

1980 Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa.

When they rebuilt it, they added concrete barriers called “dolphins” that protect the piers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 03:55 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Why does every event have to be some shadowy conspiracy?
Part of it is human nature. One of the things that allowed us to evolve as humans is our ability to find patterns. It allows us to map the stars and learn how to track animals.

But it also leads to where we see patterns that are not there. Or just correlations and not causations. And being able to "see" these patterns when others can't make us feel important. Like we are special.

It's easier for some to swallow there is a shadow conspiracy that is controlling everything than to admit that life is just chaos.
[Reply]
suzzer99 04:17 PM 03-27-2024
If one person believes the conspiracy, it's mental illness. If millions of people believe the same conspiracy, it's politics.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:23 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
If one person believes the conspiracy, it's mental illness. If millions of people believe the same conspiracy, it's politics.
So, still mental illness?
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 04:25 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Welp, this conundrum is now going to fucking haunt me for the next couple days.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 17
« First < 51112131415 1617 >
Up