ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Late night bullshit: Let's take a moment and remember the Todd Haley era existed.
Direckshun 08:52 PM 09-21-2019
That was an absolutely sublime time to be a Chiefs fan.

Chiefs get a new GM in Pioli pretty much immediately, but we went two months without an actual head coach until we hire Haley after the Super Bowl. We get lots of stories about how he's an offensive mastermind.

That momentum lasts less than a month when the Chiefs trade for Matt Cassel, effectively saddling Haley with one of the most inept beta males to ever take a snap in Kansas City for four unbelievable years.

Cassel misses the very first game with injury, which is the very last start we see of Brody Croyle, which of course he loses, and Todd Haley is seen on national television telling Croyle to snap the fucking ball.

Haley spends most of the next three years exhibiting unhealthy levels of insane rage on the sidelines, almost always directed at his own players. Of particular ire is Dwayne Bowe, who occasionally lines up wrong and gets very visibly screamed at with some of the most disgusting anger faces I've ever seen on anyone.

I believe the third year as a head coach, he approaced the preseason in an unorthodox manner. He ramped up the starters' minutes all preseason instead of peaking in the third game. That leaves the KC first stringers playing the Green Bay fourth stringers in the fourth preseason game, and of course Matt Cassel still gets sacked and he has to basically wear a flak jacket all year because he got his ribs cracked.

Clay here on ChiefsPlanet once showed in a screenshot Haley purposefully trotting out the most uninspired lineups of offensive (non-)skill positions as Pioli routinely cheaped out on talent in free agency and couldn't draft to save his life.

He was hailed as a diva whisperer when we drafted Jon Baldwin, only for Baldwin to break his hand punching a teammate.

He played Thomas Jones in front of Jamaal Charles for an entire season. Thomas Jones got almost all the first quarter carries against the Ravens in the only playoff game the Chiefs had with Haley.

Haley once wore a grubby ballcap for a month straight to games because the Chiefs were on a win streak. There was absolutely no reason for the hat to have dirt on it, but he wanted the effect, I guess.

Josh McDaniel was the Broncos head coach, racing Haley to see who could destroy their historic franchise first, and our first game in Denver, Haley was denied an opportunity to challenge because the replay booth was "inoperable," leading Haley to curse out McDaniel instead of shaking his hand at the end of the game.

At least once he got in a shouting match with his own players on the sideline during a game.

He flipped off George Blowfish.

He started Tyler Palko over Kyle Orton.

And of course the oddest thing to have maybe ever happened to this team: he showed up to a KC Star interview, I think with Kent Babb, to talk about his relationship with Pioli, and he was described in the article as completely disheveled, searching the room for microphones as he was sure Pioli had the room bugged.

Just absolutely insane three years with had with that guy. I'm convinced nobody has ever been more satisfied with a win in Arrowhead as Haley must have when he was coaching Big Ben and those Steelers teams that spanked Alex Smith and Bob Sutton.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:54 PM 09-21-2019
Should the Chiefs have drafted Mark Sanchez over Tyson Jackson?
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:57 PM 09-21-2019
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
Was this when Cooter was here? :-)
I think Cooter was only on staff with Crennel.

Still... weird to think that the shitty coaching staffs of the Pioli era produced two eventual NFL offensive coordinators in its ranks: Cooter and Nick Sirianni (OC for the Colts)
[Reply]
J Diddy 09:58 PM 09-21-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
:-)

We need to focus? I didn't realize.
Dude don’t jinx us. If us fans don’t focus no way pat will be prepared.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 10:00 PM 09-21-2019
Unpopular opinion: I fucking loved Todd Haley.

Obviously love where we're at more now, but will always have a soft spot for Todd, especially knowing how bad of a hand he got dealt from Pioli.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:04 PM 09-21-2019
I will never forget losing to the Raiders on Christmas eve in 2011 only to fly to Denver to watch Kyle Orton beat tim tebow 7-3.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:11 PM 09-21-2019
I also loved Shaun Smith the ball grabber. That was funny.
[Reply]
Chiefs=Champions 10:11 PM 09-21-2019
Crazy to think some people didn't want Haley to get fired. They liked his fire, and he got DJ to be a great player! :-)
[Reply]
bdj23 10:17 PM 09-21-2019
https://youtu.be/KcdLjjCbL0Y
[Reply]
Bump 10:18 PM 09-21-2019
If anything positive came of the Todd Haley era, it was this gif

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:23 PM 09-21-2019
Member when they signed Kevin Curtis like a few days before a playoff game and started him?
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:25 PM 09-21-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I also loved Shaun Smith the ball grabber. That was funny.
I LOVED THAT GUY!

No beans were ever safe.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:26 PM 09-21-2019
Originally Posted by Bump:
If anything positive came of the Todd Haley era, it was this gif

via GIPHY

and Matt Cassel's hat fumble
[Reply]
CapsLockKey 10:58 PM 09-21-2019
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I will never forget losing to the Raiders on Christmas eve in 2011 only to fly to Denver to watch Kyle Orton beat tim tebow 7-3.
Reminds me of my only chiefs road game I've attended. Even though KC won, had to be one of the worst games of "professional" football I've ever witnessed. Tyler Palko versus Caleb Hanie. Chiefs win only because of first half hail mary where Urlacher knocks the ball down in McClusters arms. Most positive memory was bear fans yelling at me to sit the F down when I cheered the only chiefs play I can recall going for more than 10 yards. God this thread makes me appreciate what we have now.
[Reply]
rtmike 11:06 PM 09-21-2019
There were a few Herm teams that disgusted me with horrible play.
Same with Haley.

Wow, when Clark hired Peeholy, I for one was stoked. At the time wasn’t it the first year the Patriots gave other teams permission to talk to him?
We were excited...back then. Boy how things changed.

Didn’t his old lady try to sue a fast food place over something being in their food.....more than once iirc.
[Reply]
Flying High D 11:07 PM 09-21-2019
We played Pittsburgh, Tyler Palko, Qb. We would, could, should of won, but he couldn’t throw for shit. A 89 year old lady with a planters wart could of thrown it farther than he could. What was his max distance 10 yards? The Stoolers were taunting him to throw it. It sucked we could, should, would of beat them. If we had someone that could of lobbed it 20 yards.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up