ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which spelling do you prefer?
Missouri is on Arkansas' northern border. 32 76.19%
Missouri is on Arkansas's northern border. 6 14.29%
Mis'ss'souri is's on Arkans'sas's northern border. 1 2.38%
The letter S doesn't exist. Check out "purfuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Indendence.. 1 2.38%
I didn't make it that far in my schoolin'. 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Arkansas' or Arkansas's
Rain Man 08:55 PM 03-27-2024
Okay, I want to test this in a poll. Look in the fallen bridge thread for background.

Which is your preferred grammar? See the poll.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:56 PM 03-27-2024
I don't know but I think there is inbreeding involved
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:58 PM 03-27-2024

Arkansas' is correct. For singular proper names ending in S, use only an apostrophe: Achilles' heel. #ACESchat https://t.co/8yqGadgLl2

— APStylebook (@APStylebook) July 13, 2016

[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:59 PM 03-27-2024
It's Arkansas' because it's a proper name that ends in s.
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:17 PM 03-27-2024
Who?
[Reply]
2bikemike 09:17 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
It's Arkansas' because it's a proper name that ends in s.
I agree.

Now for a fun fact. Did you know the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas? If it had been invented anywhere else it would've been called a teethbrush! :-)
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 09:36 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
I agree.

Now for a fun fact. Did you know the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas? If it had been invented anywhere else it would've been called a teethbrush! :-)
Lol.

Arkansas is typically ranked in the mid-40s in education.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:44 PM 03-27-2024
So we all seem to be of like mind. Why does the State of Arkansas disagree with us, per Chitownchiefsfan's post?

Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
Apparently Arkansas passed a bill declaring it to be Arkansas's

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2007/...sass-statutes/

[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 09:50 PM 03-27-2024
Chicago Manual of Style and Supreme Court would say Arkansas’s. Pretty good writers at those spots.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:55 PM 03-27-2024
So are we the idiots?

I can't imagine that we're the idiots.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 10:04 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
So we all seem to be of like mind. Why does the State of Arkansas disagree with us, per Chitownchiefsfan's post?
If you read the article it's because of gov of the time, 2007, and some historian saying that it should be apostrophe s because the s is silent when you pronounce Arkansas. But the grammarital rule isn't based on pronunciation it's based on the spelling of the word. So like I said; lower end of the spectrum in education.
[Reply]
tk13 10:05 PM 03-27-2024
Arkansases.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:18 PM 03-27-2024
If you read the article it's because of gov of the time, 2007, and some historian saying that it should be apostrophe s because the s is silent when you pronounce Arkansas. But the grammarital rule isn't based on pronunciation it's based on the spelling of the word. So like I said; lower end of the spectrum in education.
Sytlebooks conflict, but I was taught that it's a matter of singular vs plural, not just whether it ends with an S. Arkansas is singular, so the correct (albeit clunky) way would be to use Arkansas's.

A parallel would be, "I'm going to my friend Wes's house" rather than, "Wes' house."
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 10:22 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sytlebooks conflict, but I was taught that it's a matter of singular vs plural, not just whether it ends with an S. Arkansas is singular, so the correct (albeit clunky) way would be to use Arkansas's.

A parallel would be, "I'm going to my friend Wes's house" rather than, "Wes' house."
If Arkansas wasn't a proper noun then it would be apostrophe s regardless of the word ending in an s. Since it's a proper noun the general correct spelling regardless of style books or style guides is Arkansas'.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:27 PM 03-27-2024
If Arkansas wasn't a proper noun then it would be apostrophe s regardless of the word ending in an s. Since it's a proper noun the general correct spelling regardless of style books or style guides is Arkansas'.
Nah. There are differences.

https://grammarist.com/punctuation/a...s-ending-in-s/
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up