ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
synthesis2 08:15 AM 03-04-2022
Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:58 AM 12-01-2023
Detroit's Electric Road

The city of Detroit opened the country's first road capable of wirelessly charging

electric vehicles as they drive this week, a key step toward wider adoption of the technology. The quarter-mile demonstration project is meant to show the feasibility of wireless charging as a supplement to an eventual nationwide charging network for electric vehicles.

The technology relies on magnetic resonance induction, similar to wireless charging for cellphones and other devices (and discovered by Nikola Tesla). Effectively, large copper coils placed under the road create a magnetic field, which induces an electric current in a receiver in the car as it drives through, thereby charging the battery (watch 101). The process is not harmful to humans.

In the demonstration, the charging rate reportedly reached as high as 19 kW, a small percentage of the stored energy needed to power an average electric vehicle during regular use.

Analysts say the enhanced roads may help address "range anxiety"—a concern of potential consumers worried electric vehicles can only travel limited distances.
[Reply]
notorious 08:34 AM 12-01-2023
How much will that cost to construct?
[Reply]
BEAVER 12:55 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by notorious:
Doesn't really matter - paid for by tax dollars I'm sure - so it is free!!

Wooohoooo - Free Stuff!
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:02 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by notorious:
I can't even imagine.

Originally Posted by BEAVER:

Wooohoooo - Free Stuff!
Yep, for sure. And how are they going to tax these EVs since they don't pay the fuel tax?
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:04 PM 12-01-2023
Heard the new Elon Musk fail-mobile described as an Incel El Camino.

I giggled.
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:08 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by Skyy God:
Heard the new Elon Musk fail-mobile described as an Incel El Camino.

I giggled.
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 01:12 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I can't even imagine.

Yep, for sure. And how are they going to tax these EVs since they don't pay the fuel tax?
Many states charge extra on your property taxes. I pay an extra $50/year.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:14 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by BEAVER:

Wooohoooo - Free Stuff!
I bet you're the type who would have bitched about the government paying to build the interstate system.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:15 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Many states charge extra on your property taxes. I pay an extra $50/year.
Is that $50 based on mileage driven?

Any idea how that $50 would compare to the tax on the fuel you would have otherwise been using annually?
[Reply]
DaFace 01:24 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Is that $50 based on mileage driven?

Any idea how that $50 would compare to the tax on the fuel you would have otherwise been using annually?
Nah, it's a flat rate. Looks like it's $0.22 per gallon in Colorado, so if you assume 22mpg (to make the math easy), that'd work out to ~5k miles per year. If you assume 33mpg (which is closer to what I'd expect on comparable ICE cars), it'd be more like ~7500 miles per year.

There's always weird nuance, though. I have to pay the $50 on my PHEV as well, and any time I leave the city I'm still using gas. So I'm pretty sure I come out behind on that one, though I probably come out a little ahead on my EV.
[Reply]
seamonster 01:28 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I bet you're the type who would have bitched about the government paying to build the interstate system.
California spent billion(s) of dollars to build a tiny railroad. Good luck.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:39 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by seamonster:
California spent billion(s) of dollars to build a tiny railroad. Good luck.
This cost about 0.2% of that amount, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.
[Reply]
Pinchshot 01:56 PM 12-01-2023
Charging a Tesla for one day takes same amount of energy as 13 homes.

EV is a scam.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:01 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by Pinchshot:

EV is a scam.
From what I've seen most automakers are pulling back quite a bit on investing in them. For now, at least.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:01 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by Pinchshot:

EV is a scam.
Wait till you see how much gas it would take to power 13 homes for a day.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up