ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>NFLPA director: likelihood of a strike/lockout in 2021 "almost a virtual certainty"
oaklandhater 06:13 PM 08-17-2017
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...n-near-future/

It's been over six years since the NFL had to deal with a work stoppage of any sort, and unfortunately for the league, that's a streak that could be coming to an end soon, according to DeMaurice Smith.

Smith, who serves as the executive director of the NFLPA, believes there's going to be a work stoppage after the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) expires following the 2020 season.

"I think the likelihood of either a strike or a lockout in [2021] is almost a virtual certainty," Smith said this week during an interview with MMQB.com.
The last time the NFL had to cancel games due to a work stoppage came in 1987. This time around, Smith isn't quite sure yet if a work stoppage would lead to any canceled games, but he didn't sound optimistic.

"I don't know. Let's look at our history," Smith said.

The problem with negotiating a new CBA is that it sounds like the players don't really trust the owners right now.

"The owners do a deal in 2006 and opt out in 2008. We do a deal in 2011 with no opt outs because we like the benefits under the current deal and we didn't want to give the owners an opportunity to opt out and take back the games that we currently have," Smith said. "If there was no renegotiating of the collective bargaining agreement and we reach 2021, there is no uncapped year. The last time we went through it, we found out that the owners lied and cheated about the uncapped year, so why would I do that again?"

The seeds for the 2011 lockout were planted in 2008 when the NFL's 32 owners voted to opt out of a CBA that was supposed to run through 2012. When the league opted out, that meant an early end to the 2006 CBA agreement and left the league with an uncapped salary year in 2010.

According to Smith, the owners "colluded with each other" so that the players wouldn't be able to take advantage of the uncapped year.

"All the mutual benefits that were supposed to happened as result of the opt out didn't happen last time," Smith said. "Owners colluded with each other and we found out that they colluded with each other. All of the bad things that went to the players happened and none of the bad things that went to the owners happened. So we have a new deal that if it doesn't get fixed, you go into a certain Armageddon."

What this all means is that Smith is ready to take the NFLPA to battle with the NFL over the new CBA. The NFLPA is taking the possibility of a work stoppage so seriously that it warned players in May to start saving money.

If a work stoppage does happen, it wouldn't start for at least four more seasons. The current CBA runs through the 2020 season, which means any potential work stoppage wouldn't take place until the 2021 season.
[Reply]
Sofa King 07:29 PM 02-19-2020
It's a bad time to be a #2 seed. You have to play a 17th game AND you have to play round one of the playoffs. That's two extra games you have to play.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:29 PM 02-19-2020

More on the transformational CBA proposal now on the table, per sources: As part of the new deal, players go from 47% share under current deal to 48% share at 16 games, and then to 48.5% share if they go to 17 games, shifting $5 billion of revenue to players’ side.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 20, 2020

[Reply]
penguinz 07:35 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
$5B if split evenly would be around $3M per player per year. I would think they would easily agree to this.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:39 PM 02-19-2020

Expanding on this, and as we reported a couple of weeks back, the players' share of revenue under the new deal could go even higher than that 48.5 percent depending on how much revenue is generated from the new TV deals. Could conceivably approach 49. https://t.co/Ao5dk2799O

— Dan Graziano (@DanGrazianoESPN) February 20, 2020

[Reply]
BossChief 08:15 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
That’s just part of the upcoming cap explosion and why I’m advocating keeping Jones on a long term deal this offseason.

In 2 years, it will seem like a huge bargain.
[Reply]
BossChief 08:18 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
$5B if split evenly would be around $3M per player per year. I would think they would easily agree to this.
5b / 32 teams = 156,250,000 per team
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:21 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
And a helluva lot less effective too.

If you have the kind of pain that requires Oxy, weed aint gonna cut it.

Weed is not a pain killer. Motrin is more effective than weed.
I thoroughly disagree.

In November 2018, I had bi-lateral micro-decompression of my L2/L3, L3/L4 and L4/L5, which is the long way of saying that I had surgery for Spinal Stenosis.

I took Tramadol, which is an extremely potent opoid, for 3 days. Not only was I completely and utterly constipated, and spent 8 hours one night bleeding out my ass due to the effect of the opioid, I was in massive pain.

On Day 4, I flushed the Tramadol down the toilet and began taking 40mg's of edibles, Nugs to be exact, to combat the pain. It was like a miracle drug, I shit you not. I didn't get "high", because the pain was way too intense but I felt SO much better AND after a few days, resumed normal bathroom activities.

I have no idea what it feels like to play in the NFL but it's difficult for me to believe that THC won't help manage their pain.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:48 PM 02-19-2020
So it being three years since the thread was started, what are the odds that there's a work stoppage looming in 2021 now?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:57 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
So it being three years since the thread was started, what are the odds that there's a work stoppage looming in 2021 now?
The same as they were in 2017: Zero

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's just posturing.

The players won't strike because their careers are too short.

[Reply]
SAUTO 08:58 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
That’s just part of the upcoming cap explosion and why I’m advocating keeping Jones on a long term deal this offseason.

In 2 years, it will seem like a huge bargain.
Keep Watkins too
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:24 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Keep Watkins too
Absolutely.

I'd love to see a restructured deal where he's given a 2 year, $24 million dollar deal with $12 million guaranteed.

Throw in some incentives for year two and go...
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:25 PM 02-19-2020
Absolutely.

I'd love to see a restructured deal where he's given a 2 year, $24 million dollar deal with $12 million guaranteed.

Throw in some incentives for year two and go...
Hell guarantee 14 so it doesn’t look like He’s giving money away
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:28 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Hell guarantee 14 so it doesn’t look like He’s giving money away
That works, too.

:-)

I'm of the opinion that he's more valuable than his stats would make him appear.

Great lockerroom guy, ultra-talented, ultra-competitive, still young AND he's a champion.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:30 PM 02-19-2020
That works, too.

:-)

I'm of the opinion that he's more valuable than his stats would make him appear.

Great lockerroom guy, ultra-talented, ultra-competitive, still young AND he's a champion.
And so god damn good with the ball in his hands...

Agreed
[Reply]
Sorry 09:37 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
And a helluva lot less effective too.

If you have the kind of pain that requires Oxy, weed aint gonna cut it.

Weed is not a pain killer. Motrin is more effective than weed.
Nah.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up