ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2931 of 3903
« First < 1931243128312881292129272928292929302931 29322933293429352941298130313431 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 03:07 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
No, I'm truly curious about who benefits from these COVID mandates and how. Whether it's mandating masks or closing schools, I want to know.
I can't tell you why other than the circle of Teachers I have talked with both on and off the record have said there is a small group of Teachers that are loud mouths for the union that are driving this. I don't know if it's political or what but those are the facts. I mean we are even providing on-site daycare for the Teacher's kids but yet we can't send our kids to school full time?

A lot has come to light over the last 2 weeks and despite what Donger thinks he knows about Kansas we can clearly see the data doesn't support the fear in anyway. Especially in JoCo. There is a Pediatrician who is a parent of a Blue Valley student that continues to shred the **** out of the numbers the boards and county keep presenting as reason.

Particularly the same thing the Sentinel called out Kansas for over the weekend. I don't think on the surface there is anything wrong with testing less and testing those who lean towards the probable side of the scale.

I do think there is a problem when you do that and then try to portray that as something it isn't.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:08 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I notice you didn't answer my question. That's alright, there's no need to point out what most posters in here know about you anyways.
To be known is to be loved, stump...or something like that :-)
[Reply]
Donger 03:12 PM 08-31-2020
It looks like Kansas testing has increased, not decreased.
[Reply]
Pants 03:15 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It looks like Kansas testing has increased, not decreased.
There was a weird dip in the very beginning of August spiking the percentage.

I'm sure that's the sample people are bringing up.
[Reply]
Donger 03:18 PM 08-31-2020

It would be nice to see it as a rolling 7 or 14 average.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:19 PM 08-31-2020

KDHE hides low testing rate to push COVID positivity scare

At his press conference yesterday, Norman said Kansas has the 6th-highest COVID positivity rate in the nation, at 10.3%. Norman didn’t cite a source for his claim and KDHE didn’t respond to our questions by press time. Data from Worldometer, however, comes very close; as of August 26, they show Kansas ranked #7, with a 10.2% positivity rate.

But here’s what Dr. Norman conveniently excluded – Kansas has the 2nd-lowest COVID testing rate in the nation, at 135,618 per million, which is 42% below the national average.

Dr. Christine White, a Johnson County pediatrician, recently told the Blue Valley school board that COVID positivity rates are artificially high because “the data is obtained from a skewed sample.” White says the vast majority of people tested in Johnson County already have symptoms or have a known exposure to COVID.

Johnson County’s 14-day moving average positivity rate is 10.6% as of today, and it’s cumulative positivity rate is 7.7%.

Michael Austin, an economist and Director of Entrepreneurial Government for the Sentinel’s parent company, Kansas Policy Institute, says the combination of factors – testing far fewer people than most states and testing a lot of people who already have symptoms – likely results in a strong convenience bias.

“Like a radio host polling his fan mail to see if they like the show, Kansas is placing over-reliance on tests of those with a reasonable suspicion they already have COVID. This statistic under-represents the community at large and should not be the basis of any re-opening policy.”

Dr. Christina Brandmeyer, a Johnson County resident who specializes in pharmacoeconomics, says reliable COVID positivity rates can only come from true random samples of the population, which is not the case in Kansas or Johnson County.

Brandmeyer references a study published on the CDC website. It shows a statewide random sample in Indiana estimates the “prevalence of current or previous SARS-CoV-2 infection in late April 2020 was 2.79%.” On April 30, the State of Indiana’s official positivity rolling average was 13%…or 4.7 times greater than the statewide random sample found.

“The issue is the delta between what was seen with a randomized sample vs the nonrandomized methodology. Since the nonrandomized is what most states and counties are using, then this shows bias and is not an accurate reflection on the general population.”

Case severity declining, but Norman wants more shutdowns

The Kelly administration focuses on the positivity rate to wag a finger at Kansans, but they make little mention, if any, of the encouraging COVID news. The percentages of cases requiring hospitalization or resulting in deaths have been steadily falling, and the per-capita number of cases and deaths are far below the national average.

Kansas is ranked #43 in deaths per million of population, with 152 compared to the national average of 548, putting Kansas 72% below the national average. The state is 22% below the national average of COVID cases per million of population, with 13,856 compared to 17,793.

Despite this encouraging news, the Kansas City Star reports Norman is pushing the COVID positivity rate and case numbers to justify canceling school sports and extracurricular activities.

“The public health advice I think that I would give is that this would be a ‘gap year’ for doing anything that’s truly optional and stick with the things that are truly essential for schools,” he said. “From a public health perspective, there’s no question we would reduce the risk of disease transmission were we not to have those (sports).”

There are probably tens of thousands of parents, students, and business owners who think this might be the time for Dr. Norman to take a ‘gap year.’

https://sentinelksmo.org/kdhe-hides-...itivity-scare/
[Reply]
Donger 03:30 PM 08-31-2020
Having a relatively low per capita testing rate (compared to other states) artificially inflates positivity percentages how?
[Reply]
Pants 03:31 PM 08-31-2020
Having a relatively low per capita testing rate (compared to other states) artificially inflates positivity percentages how?
The assumption in this case is that they are only testing people with symptoms. Apparently this is to drive a political agenda.
[Reply]
Donger 03:32 PM 08-31-2020
Pete's assumption is that they are only testing people with symptoms.
Based on what? I don't doubt that the vast majority of people getting tests are symptomatic.

But, that still doesn't answer my question.

At his press conference yesterday, Norman said Kansas has the 6th-highest COVID positivity rate in the nation, at 10.3%. Norman didn’t cite a source for his claim and KDHE didn’t respond to our questions by press time. Data from Worldometer, however, comes very close; as of August 26, they show Kansas ranked #7, with a 10.2% positivity rate.

But here’s what Dr. Norman conveniently excluded – Kansas has the 2nd-lowest COVID testing rate in the nation, at 135,618 per million, which is 42% below the national average.

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:33 PM 08-31-2020
It could be done if you are restricting testing to those much more likely to have a COVID diagnosis anyway.

A crude example: if I wanted to return an astronomically high rate, I could only test recent hospital admissions in respiratory distress. If I wanted to return artificially low rates, I could test groups of people that are working from home, following distancing protocols, and who are not socializing with others.
[Reply]
Donger 03:35 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It could be done if you are restricting testing to those much more likely to have a COVID diagnosis anyway.

A crude example: if I wanted to return an astronomically high rate, I could only test recent hospital admissions in respiratory distress. If I wanted to return artificially low rates, I could test groups of people that are working from home, following distancing protocols, and who are not socializing with others.
Yes, understood. But what does that have to the alleged gotcha regarding Kansas' per capita testing relative to other states? I don't see the relative relevance.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:05 PM 08-31-2020
Yes, understood. But what does that have to the alleged gotcha regarding Kansas' per capita testing relative to other states? I don't see the relative relevance.
Unless they are somehow restricting testing in order to pump up or deflate positivity rates, there is no relevance. But that hasn't stopped people with no medical training and no concept of what they are speaking about from acting as though they are experts on everything from pharmacology to death certificates.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:44 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Unless they are somehow restricting testing in order to pump up or deflate positivity rates, there is no relevance. But that hasn't stopped people with no medical training and no concept of what they are speaking about from acting as though they are experts on everything from pharmacology to death certificates.
On the other hand you don't need any special medical training to know how numbers work.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:47 PM 08-31-2020
The assumption in this case is that they are only testing people with symptoms. Apparently this is to drive a political agenda.
Why do you indulge him? He knows perfectly well what the gig is. Anyone who has a basic understanding of math knows how percentages work.

Again, there is nothing wrong with reducing tests and testing only those who "need" to be tested.

But you cannot do that then portray it as if you are doing random tests or make statements like "that means 10% of the people are positive" when in reality the numbers say 10% of the people who showed symptoms, were exposed or otherwise had a particular "need" to be tested were positive.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:53 PM 08-31-2020
Here is what Dr. Areola of Johnson County said about the results of reduced testing that was more skewed towards people who had symptoms or were otherwise exposed...

Originally Posted by :
“Really no matter how you look at the data the numbers are high,” said Dr. Sanmi Areola, Director of the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment. In the last two weeks, more than 11% of COVID-19 tests have come back positive in Johnson County. Dr. Areola says that's a red flag for schools. “If it’s consistent with the rate of infection that we see in the county, 10, 11 %, then you should assume 10 to 11% of people coming in (to schools) are probably infected.

[Reply]
Page 2931 of 3903
« First < 1931243128312881292129272928292929302931 29322933293429352941298130313431 > Last »
Up