ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 15
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Kyle Long may miss training camp with leg injury
TribalElder 07:15 AM 06-10-2021
Kyle Long‘s comeback effort has hit a snag.

NFL Media reports that Long suffered a leg injury that could keep him out through training camp. Initial thoughts were that it would keep him out for the season, but the hope is that Long will be able to return to action before the start of the regular season.

Long did not play in 2020 after missing 34 games over his final four years with the Bears due to injury, but signed with the Chiefs as part of their offensive line overhaul this offseason.

It looked like Long would be competing for the right guard spot during camp. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, who is also returning from sitting out the 2020 season, Andrew Wylie and sixth-round pick Trey Smith may now make up the group vying for that spot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...th-leg-injury/
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 07:36 AM 06-11-2021
Brokedick is brokedick. No surprise here.

This was always gonna be a depth signing, no matter what anyone thought. Long is not a guy you can rely on being your starting guard. His body just isn't built for the long haul.

But he can still provide some quality depth and minutes off the bench to spare other guys and provide some quality play there when healthy (which again, used in a limited role, is possible).

It was always gonna end this way if the Chiefs stuck him there as the starter and left him there. He's a less reliable player than Osemele who we signed and stuck at left guard last year. Those guys are always ticking time bombs . . . . . just a matter of when.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:18 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Why does everybody feel like it's a tough ask for Niang to start?

widely considered a first round talent, possibly the #1 OT in the draft until his injury (there are a few articles out there from before the injury talking about this), has been working out, working on specific techniques at the team's request, totally rehabbed now and healthy. And a year with the playbook and terminology.

I don't think it's a tough ask at all. I fully expect him to win that RT spot.
I don't think it's going to be a tough task, relatively speaking.

I think he's facing better competition at RT than Humphrey is at OC. And I think Smith is a backup to start the season.

So really it comes down to Creed and Niang battling for starting spots and I think Niang's competition will be tougher than Humphrey's simply because Humphrey has less competition.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:21 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't think it's going to be a tough task, relatively speaking.

I think he's facing better competition at RT than Humphrey is at OC. And I think Smith is a backup to start the season.

So really it comes down to Creed and Niang battling for starting spots and I think Niang's competition will be tougher than Humphrey's simply because Humphrey has less competition.
See, I would disagree that Niang has tougher competition.

Blythe has been a decent starting Center. Remmers was less than a dumpster fire at RT. I don't see that as tougher competition.

At any rate, I expect both Humphrey and Niang to win their spots.
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:23 AM 06-11-2021
I still don't understand how he managed to fracture his kneecap. What was he doing? How did it happen?
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:24 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
See, I would disagree that Niang has tougher competition.

Blythe has been a decent starting Center. Remmers was less than a dumpster fire at RT. I don't see that as tougher competition.

At any rate, I expect both Humphrey and Niang to win their spots.
I think they brought Blythe in to play RG ostensibly so that's part of my factor.

I also think you're underestimating Andy's proclivity to play "pet players" - guys he's really comfortable with - of which Remmers seems to be one. Remmers started 10 games at RT last season while Niang was sitting at home. I don't think you can discount that.

I don't think that means Niang won't win the job, I think he will. I just think Humphrey is ALREADY the favorite at OC whereas the other guys are still fighting for a spot.
[Reply]
O.city 08:25 AM 06-11-2021
Apparently smith is first man up at RG as of right now

Will that change when LDT comes back?
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:28 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:

It will be really interesting to see what they do with it.

I don't think they're going to start 3 guys on the right that have never played an NFL down.

I think Humphrey is a lock at OC. After that, I think Niang has the 2nd-best shot to win a starting job.

Which means Smith is the odd man out there. There's much more depth/competition at RG than at either RT or OC.
[Reply]
oldman 08:50 AM 06-11-2021

Yes. It doesn't mean he's the starter all season, though. If Humphrey wins the starting C job, you can be sure LDT will be the starter Game 1 unless he comes back weak or gets injured in camp. I still think Remmers will start Game 1, but Niang will push him all season.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:15 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I still don't understand how he managed to fracture his kneecap. What was he doing? How did it happen?
I think its changed to a lower leg injury now.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It will be really interesting to see what they do with it.

I don't think they're going to start 3 guys on the right that have never played an NFL down.

I think Humphrey is a lock at OC. After that, I think Niang has the 2nd-best shot to win a starting job.

Which means Smith is the odd man out there. There's much more depth/competition at RG than at either RT or OC.
Based on everything we're hearing, it may be a situation where there's just no way to keep him from starting, if he's that good.

I don't think LDT gets the RG spot. Look at all they've done bringing in guys. That doesn't lend much confidence.
[Reply]
O.city 10:17 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
Yes. It doesn't mean he's the starter all season, though. If Humphrey wins the starting C job, you can be sure LDT will be the starter Game 1 unless he comes back weak or gets injured in camp. I still think Remmers will start Game 1, but Niang will push him all season.
Once Andy sets his line, thats the starters unless there's an injury.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:19 AM 06-11-2021
Once Andy sets his line, thats the starters unless there's an injury.
I keep coming back to this. Unless theres an injury its not moving.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:23 AM 06-11-2021
Based on everything we're hearing, it may be a situation where there's just no way to keep him from starting, if he's that good.

I don't think LDT gets the RG spot. Look at all they've done bringing in guys. That doesn't lend much confidence.
Absolutely correct. The only reason LDT hasn't been released is because it's a wash on the cap to do so. They'll let him come in and see if he's still physically able to do it but I can't see it happening. The guy was already slipping before taking a year off and I can't imagine he had much time to be working out while doing what he was during Covid.

There's a reason they brought in so many interior lineman. LDT not showing up for voluntary workouts says a lot, too. I think the guy is pretty much done with football. If Long had actually stayed healthy I think there's a good chance LDT wouldn't even have made the team. He still might not.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:50 AM 06-11-2021
Based on everything we're hearing
You mean, in OTA's?

:-)

Some of you people have lost your goddamned minds.

This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations that just had the ever loving shit kicked out of the offensive line just 16 weeks ago. Andy is going to start the season with the best and most experienced guys, which does not include a 6th round guard, when there are at least two other capable starting guards (three, if Niang starts at Right Tackle).

It doesn't matter what the year says on the calendar, every fucking year, people fall in love with some late round/undrafted free agent and this year, it's Smith. And while he may become a quality and maybe even high quality right guard, the Chiefs are not going to start him next to a rookie center or what's essentially, a rookie right tackle, unless it's due to catastrophic injury.

The Browns, Ravens, Chargers and WFT's defensive line would eat three rookies all game long.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:54 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Absolutely correct. The only reason LDT hasn't been released is because it's a wash on the cap to do so. They'll let him come in and see if he's still physically able to do it but I can't see it happening. The guy was already slipping before taking a year off and I can't imagine he had much time to be working out while doing what he was during Covid.

There's a reason they brought in so many interior lineman. LDT not showing up for voluntary workouts says a lot, too. I think the guy is pretty much done with football. If Long had actually stayed healthy I think there's a good chance LDT wouldn't even have made the team. He still might not.
Oh, give me a fucking break.

LDT is 6 year veteran and Super Bowl champion. The Chiefs aren't going to dump him, nor are they going to eat his salary when they have so little room left.

NFL players miss entire seasons due to injury all the motherfucking time and many come back at the same exact level as before. LDT wasn't injured, he opted out to help others. He's not recovering from a torn ligament or broken or fractured bone. He's a professional football player and as long as he's willing to play this season, he'll be the favorite to start at right guard.

Good grief.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 15
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up