ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Media Center>Help Rausch switch to PC
Rausch 05:06 PM 05-26-2021
I don't have the time, knowledge, or patience to build my own.

I selected the parts and compared cyberpowerpc, CLX, maingear, AVAdirect, Digitalstorm, and VRLA.

I ended up about $350 over what I wanted to spend but...eh.

So since I've been a Mac guy my whole life and never built a PC help me out. Don't hesitate to point out anything I missed or part conflicts. Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Pic of specs in 1st post...
[Reply]
vailpass 08:04 PM 06-13-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Ok, with my CPU being infamous for running hot I would like to under çlock it Any experienced under clocker advice? I'm still looking at about two weeks before it gets here.
Under clock? Wut?
[Reply]
Rausch 04:05 PM 06-14-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
That's a ridiculous solution that probably wouldn't have that much of an effect. Add fans. Improve airflow. Upgrade your case.
One effect would be it running cooler.
[Reply]
Fish 04:18 PM 06-14-2021
It's not really that simple. Besides, by default your CPU already throttles itself a great deal when it's not crunching something serious. What you're asking is silly.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:27 PM 06-14-2021
It's not really that simple. Besides, by default your CPU already throttles itself a great deal when it's not crunching something serious. What you're asking is silly.
Undervolting. Not underclocking.

No, it's not. It's an infamously hot cpu and I don't need the full juice because I'll mostly be 1080p gaming. The cooler it is the more stable it may run, live longer, and still run very close to the same speed. High temps are the cause of a ton of performance problems.

[Reply]
vailpass 04:27 PM 06-14-2021
Rausch I’m all for you here bud. But I’ve never once heard of under clocking. I’ve only been building for 5 years so will defer to the masters but why would you want to down grade performance?
[Reply]
Rausch 04:29 PM 06-14-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Rausch I’m all for you here bud. But I’ve never once heard of under clocking. I’ve only been building for 5 years so will defer to the masters but why would you want to down grade performance?
Undervolting.

I'll leave my misstep instead of editing it.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:30 PM 06-14-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Rausch I’m all for you here bud.
The wife has been a bit pissy lately...
[Reply]
Fish 04:58 PM 06-14-2021
Undervolting. Not underclocking.

No, it's not. It's an infamously hot cpu and I don't need the full juice because I'll mostly be 1080p gaming. The cooler it is the more stable it may run, live longer, and still run very close to the same speed. High temps are the cause of a ton of performance problems.
I understand some people tweak their voltage to allow for overclocking and such. Yes it can slightly lower your temp in some cases. But you haven't even booted this machine yet, and you're already talking about neutering it. Lowering voltage should be one of the last fixes for high temps. Tweak it a bit and test it before you go throttling yourself...
[Reply]
eDave 05:39 PM 06-14-2021
If it's not exceeding 85 Celsius, I wouldn't worry. 85 is where it will start clocking down for you and initiate issues.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:41 PM 06-14-2021
Honestly unless you live in an extremely hot house your CPU will be fine. I mean you're talking hotter then 90-95C. That's what those chips maximum rating is
[Reply]
vailpass 07:28 PM 06-14-2021
The wife has been a bit pissy lately...
Hold her, ask what she needs, do it for her.
[Reply]
mdstu 09:07 PM 06-14-2021
I'd imagine a watercooled 5800x will shred any task you throw at it.

You might be under estimating the power of your CPU.

It might get hot when stressed out, but you'd be surprised what it takes to stress them out.

Congrats on the awesome system. My worthless internet advice would be fire it up and throw everything you've got at it. See what happens. Then think about tweaking settings.
[Reply]
Otter 05:08 AM 06-15-2021
I understand some people tweak their voltage to allow for overclocking and such. Yes it can slightly lower your temp in some cases. But you haven't even booted this machine yet, and you're already talking about neutering it. Lowering voltage should be one of the last fixes for high temps. Tweak it a bit and test it before you go throttling yourself...
This.

Let's not perform surgery until we know there's a problem.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:13 AM 06-15-2021
Geeks
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:45 AM 06-15-2021
Suckers.

:-)

[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up