ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any George Lynch fans out there??
petegz28 08:33 PM 09-19-2012

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:56 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
By the way, I don't know if you saw my post a couple weeks ago in another thread - I just got a vinyl picture disc of "Killing the Dragon" and it's freaking sweet.
No, I didn't see the post - that's awesome!

I'm a HUGE Dio fan and was supposed to go to his public funeral a few years back but my daughter got sick while my wife was out of town, so I missed it.

He was one of a kind and sorely missed.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:04 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Because I'm a HUGE Dio fan and most people think I'm crazy when I say that "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" are my favorite Sabbath albums.
I don't think you are crazy. H/H has always been my favorite. I like the older stuff too, but there is just something about H/H that i like better than all the others.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 09-20-2012
I thought this thread was about the former Laker player. Never heard of the guy in the op.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:14 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
No, I didn't see the post - that's awesome!

I'm a HUGE Dio fan and was supposed to go to his public funeral a few years back but my daughter got sick while my wife was out of town, so I missed it.

He was one of a kind and sorely missed.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...8&postcount=83

I had one chance to see him live and missed it due to extenuating circumstances. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:15 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I don't think you are crazy. H/H has always been my favorite. I like the older stuff too, but there is just something about H/H that i like better than all the others.
It's my favorite too.

I love "Mob Rules" especially "Voodoo" and "Sign of the Southern Cross" but, front to back, "Heaven and Hell" might be my favorite album period, let alone Black Sabbath album.
[Reply]
Kerberos 12:30 PM 09-20-2012
So Dane... give us your thoughts on EVH. He seems to be an egotistical prick at times but what do you think of him as an ALL around guitar player and musician? If you listen to some of the guitar players that started playing after him they all have the same cliche that it goes like this..... It started with Hendrix then Page and then EVH and he changed the way it was played in the 80's 90's and present? What say you on this question?
[Reply]
Braincase 12:40 PM 09-20-2012
I'd like to know what you guys think of John 5. I think he's very talented, and possibly psychotic.
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 12:41 PM 09-20-2012

A good friend of mine, Derryl Gabel, won a contest in 1992 to record with George. The track is featured above.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:42 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Kerberos:
So Dane... give us your thoughts on EVH. He seems to be an egotistical prick at times but what do you think of him as an ALL around guitar player and musician? If you listen to some of the guitar players that started playing after him they all have the same cliche that it goes like this..... It started with Hendrix then Page and then EVH and he changed the way it was played in the 80's 90's and present? What say you on this question?
I think that EVH is and was far more influential than Page or Hendrix or any combination of any of the rock players that came before him. He not only revolutionized the way rock guitar was played, he also revolutionized the guitar (and later, the guitar amp) itself.

Before EVH, a Les Paul was a Les Paul and a Strat was a Strat. No one had thought to combine the two (Strat body, Gibson Humbucking pickup) to create a new sound, which lead to a new style of playing.

While there is some controversy surrounding what was actual amp and signal chain recorded for VH1, there is no doubt that his guitar sound was unlike anything anyone had ever heard, outside of the Sunset Strip during that era, before.

His new breed of guitars not only launched Charvel/Jackson but companies like Warmoth, ESP, Ibanez (who had only previously made Gibson knockoff), so on and so forth. His work with Mike Soldano and Reinhold Bogner (and later, James Brown) helped to create the sound of Modern Rock and Metal.

The most ironic thing about EVH is that this wasn't planned - he basically stumbled ass-backwards into everything because he was just chasing the tone in his head, which in 2012 is quite different than it was in 1977, although he'll tell you it's exactly what he's been striving for all along.
[Reply]
Brock 12:45 PM 09-20-2012
Before EVH, a Les Paul was a Les Paul and a Strat was a Strat. No one had thought to combine the two (Strat body, Gibson Humbucking pickup) to create a new sound, which lead to a new style of playing.
Is this because that combination made a new sound, or was it more the strange homemade gear he used, i.e. variac controlled amps etc.?
[Reply]
Kerberos 12:47 PM 09-20-2012
I think that EVH is and was far more influential than Page or Hendrix or any combination of any of the rock players that came before him. He not only revolutionized the way rock guitar was played, he also revolutionized the guitar (and later, the guitar amp) itself.

While there is some controversy surrounding what was actual amp and signal chain recorded for VH1, there is no doubt that his guitar sound was unlike anything anyone had ever heard, outside of the Sunset Strip during that era, before.

His new breed of guitars not only launched Charvel/Jackson but companies like Warmoth, ESP, Ibanez (who had only previously made Gibson knockoff), so on and so forth. His work with Mike Soldano and Reinhold Bogner (and later, James Brown) helped to create the sound of Modern Rock and Metal.

The most ironic thing about EVH is that this wasn't planned - he basically stumbled ass-backwards into everything because he was just chasing the tone in his head, which in 2012 is quite different than it was in 1977, although he'll tell you it's exactly what he's been striving for all along.
Funny you mention his work with amps... this is where I got some of this.

[Reply]
Kerberos 12:52 PM 09-20-2012

[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:54 PM 09-20-2012
... He not only revolutionized the way rock guitar was played, he also revolutionized the guitar (and later, the guitar amp) itself....
Love EVH and he was revolutionary. But unfortunately, the only thing he is revolutionizing now is playing the same fucking solo over and over and over and over and over.
[Reply]
BoneKrusher 12:56 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Braincase:
I'd like to know what you guys think of John 5. I think he's very talented, and possibly psychotic.
John 5's Awesome.
i heard his version of the Chet Atkins classic Sugar Foot Rag and got blown away.
the guy can do it all
any style.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:57 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Brock:
Is this because that combination made a new sound, or was it more the strange homemade gear he used, i.e. variac controlled amps etc.?
It wasn't a "home made" guitar, per se. It was a Boogie Bodies (which later changed their name to Warmoth) alder strat body with a Mighty Mite neck. I should add that Wayne Charvel told me back in 1993 that HE made the neck on Eddie's famous "Frankenstrat". A huge part of the sound was 60's hand wound pickup Gibson pickup, which Eddie decided to "pot" due to feedback (which also cuts down on the "chime" or top end, which balanced out the sound of the Strat body).

Also, the variac thing is a myth. I've heard people say that he burned out tubes because he ran the voltage so hot, but that's the exact opposite of what would happen - the amp would sound cleaner. Then, there's this idea that he ran the Variac to starve the tubes, which would indeed give the amp more gain. But all of it is complete hogwash and nonsense.

I have it on extremely good authority that he used his '68 Marshall Super Lead, which has the same tonestack at the JTM45, but had its tube rectifier converted to a solid state rectifier, which made it "tighter" sounding (later "Plexi" models have a different tonestack and solid state rectifier) along with an MXR Distortion + for the recording of Van Halen I. And in all honesty, that's exactly what it sounds like. Also, there are pictures floating around from various festivals and outdoor shows that clearly show a Distortion + on his pedal board, right next to the Phase 90 and Phase 100.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up