ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any George Lynch fans out there??
petegz28 08:33 PM 09-19-2012

[Reply]
Lzen 10:26 AM 09-20-2012
Anyone watch That Metal Show on VH1 Classic? Lynch was the guest guitarist on the first 2 episodes this season.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:28 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Which made it pretty hilarious on that instructional video he did. :-):-)
Why? First off, it's untrue that he couldn't read at the time but even if it were true, how would that negatively affect his ability to play and/or teach?
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 10:29 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, he can play the guitar. And that's it.

He's not a composer, he's not an engineer, he's not a producer and, well, I won't get it into.

Suffice to say, Reb's fortunate he can play guitar because that's all he can do. Doug Aldrich, on the other hand, can do it all.
Agree...

:-)
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 10:31 AM 09-20-2012
I enjoyed Jake E Lees work with Ozzy and Badlands...
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:33 AM 09-20-2012
Sure it was and still is to this day. Furthermore, Lynch could read, not that it matters, anyway. Ozzy didn't care for style and Lynch didn't want to be in Ozzy for the main reason that Brad Gillis and John Sykes didn't want the gig: Money.

In Ozzy (and this includes everyone from Randy to Gus), you're a paid sideman. That's it. Flat fee, whether it's studio time or touring. Musicians in Ozzy's band don't share in the record royalties. In each and every song, Ozzy is listed as co-writer although he doesn't write lyrics, melodies or music. If you wrote the music, you're not going to receive 50% but 10%.

Lynch and Gillis decided to take their chances with their respective bands (Night Ranger & Dokken) and Sykes went on to write and record the Whitesnake 1987 album, although he was fired before the band toured or shot video.
Again, I never suggested anything about WHY he didn't get (or take) Ozzy gig. I'm familiar with the backstory but it's interesting to read, thanks for posting.

Rock musicians aren't expected to show up with a guitar and a chart for auditions. Never have, never will.
I never suggested otherwise.

Public knowledge? More like Urban Myth. Lynch was a guitar teacher and took over Randy Rhoads students after Randy's death. Lynch also studied classical guitar in Arizona in the 80's and IMO, made his playing worse.
Lynch himself said he thought it made him worse so he agrees with you. :-) I also saw him on "That Metal Show" once and he talked about his obsession with body building. He said it affected his guitar playing a lot, in a negative way. And he said he felt like a douche too. :-)

And once again, unless you're showing up on a soundstage for a session, it doesn't matter if can sight read or not, especially in rock.
Again, I didn't suggest otherwise. I just thought it was interesting in the era of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani that a guy like Lynch had a place in the pantheon even though he was much more of the traditional self-taught rock guitarist.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:34 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
I enjoyed Jake E Lees work with Ozzy and Badlands...
I didn't care for the Ozzy tracks. He was too restricted and was told to play a certain way, which really wasn't his style.

It was nice of Sharon Osbourne to send one of her lackies to fire him at the Rainbow one night. Class all the way.

It's too bad that Jake's a complete mess now. For a really brief period, he was a great guitarist and personality.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:34 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Anyone watch That Metal Show on VH1 Classic? Lynch was the guest guitarist on the first 2 episodes this season.

I just mentioned seeing George on TMS...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:35 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Again, I didn't suggest otherwise. I just thought it was interesting in the era of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani that a guy like Lynch had a place in the pantheon even though he was much more of the traditional self-taught rock guitarist.
Ah, my apologies. I misunderstood.

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:36 AM 09-20-2012
Zach Wylde!!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:37 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Zach Wylde!!
Is?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 AM 09-20-2012
I didn't care for the Ozzy tracks. He was too restricted and was told to play a certain way, which really wasn't his style.

It was nice of Sharon Osbourne to send one of her lackies to fire him at the Rainbow one night. Class all the way.

It's too bad that Jake's a complete mess now. For a really brief period, he was a great guitarist and personality.
Let me ask you this. Do you care for Ozzy's solo stuff outside of the stuff with Jake?

Because I'm a HUGE Dio fan and most people think I'm crazy when I say that "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" are my favorite Sabbath albums.

I LIKE Sabbath with Ozzy but I LOVE Sabbath with Dio. And I don't really like much of Ozzy's solo stuff short of a couple of tunes with Randy ("Mr. Crowley").
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 AM 09-20-2012
Is?
A hell of country guitarist?

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:40 AM 09-20-2012
Is?
A friend of yours?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:46 AM 09-20-2012
Let me ask you this. Do you care for Ozzy's solo stuff outside of the stuff with Jake?
To be honest, not really. The Rhoads era is essential but I haven't cared much for anything since, except maybe a song here or there.

The problem is that it's too orchestrated. Sharon is the Puppet Master and I still can't believe that raging cunt hired Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin to re-cut all of "Diary" and "Blizzard" so that she wouldn't have to pay Daisley and Kerslake any further album royalties (The royalty thing I described before only applied after Ozzy & Sharon hooked up and Randy died).

Because I'm a HUGE Dio fan and most people think I'm crazy when I say that "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" are my favorite Sabbath albums.
I prefer the aggression of Dio's voice to Ozzy's and loved both of those albums (and even the few tracks since under "Heaven & Hell") more than Sabbath. Although Paranoid is a classic album.

My favorite Dio solo record, by a long shot, is "Killing The Dragon". Dio's voice sounds amazing and Doug Aldrich is the best guitarist and songwriting partner Dio had worked with. His playing and tone are phenomenal.

I LIKE Sabbath with Ozzy but I LOVE Sabbath with Dio. And I don't really like much of Ozzy's solo stuff short of a couple of tunes with Randy ("Mr. Crowley").
Blizzard isn't as important to me as Diary but it's a good record (although IMO, Randy Rhoads has one of the worst guitar tones ever recorded on Blizzard). Diary to me a is classic.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 09-20-2012
I prefer the aggression of Dio's voice to Ozzy's and loved both of those albums (and even the few tracks since under "Heaven & Hell") more than Sabbath. Although Paranoid is a classic album.

My favorite Dio solo record, by a long shot, is "Killing The Dragon". Dio's voice sounds amazing and Doug Aldrich is the best guitarist and songwriting partner Dio had worked with. His playing and tone are phenomenal.
The thing about Dio, to me, isn't just the aggression. It's that his voice is SO dynamic. Thinking specifically about the intro to "Sign of the Southern Cross", the transition from melodic, almost sweet, to just pure rage. And the fact that he could bring forth that rage while still maintaining a melody. Unbelievable voice.

His voice is what sells the lyrics, IMO. The imagery - rainbows, dragons, demons, wizards - it all comes through just that much more vividly because he has the ultimate voice for it.

By the way, I don't know if you saw my post a couple weeks ago in another thread - I just got a vinyl picture disc of "Killing the Dragon" and it's freaking sweet.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up