ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 441 of 3903
« First < 341391431437438439440441 4424434444454514915419411441 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bearcat 08:46 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
preparing is a specific word in a hospital. That the public doesn’t receive the same way.

It’s breaking news that the Trump admin is preparing for this to last 18-24 months. That doesn’t mean they are expecting it to last 18-24 months, just preparing, just in case.

Hospitals should be preparing and acting like they are going to be at capacity. It’s no longer some hypothetical drills. It’s break glass time.
I don't want to harp on it, yet it's kind of important in this thread to put some context behind statements. You said "KC is preparing to be out of ICU beds with everyone on a vent by the weekend." ...and if not for the ICU beds part needing context (they're already full capacity, etc.), "with everyone on a vent" makes it sound 10 times worse.

Just like yesterday... Treasury guy didn't say "20% unemployment soon", he said that's the worst case scenario that they mapped out if there was no government intervention.

There's people in this thread freaking out for various reasons, and it's one thing to theorize shit getting bad, and something very different and worse to report news and give updates that either sound far worse due to lack of context or are incorrect.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:48 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I don't want to harp on it, yet it's kind of important in this thread to put some context behind statements. You said "KC is preparing to be out of ICU beds with everyone on a vent by the weekend." ...and if not for the ICU beds part needing context (they're already full capacity, etc.), "with everyone on a vent" makes it sound 10 times worse.

Just like yesterday... Treasury guy didn't say "20% unemployment soon", he said that's the worst case scenario that they mapped out if there was no government intervention.

There's people in this thread freaking out for various reasons, and it's one thing to theorize shit getting bad, and something very different and worse to report news and give updates that either sound far worse due to lack of context or are incorrect.
got it. :-)
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:53 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I was wondering how close to capacity they were to begin with. The lack of context made it sound like it was getting bad, but obviously with no testing, you have no idea if or when it'll happen.

My parents (who live in KC) are over 60 and aren't taking it all that seriously, so when I read "KC is preparing to be out of ICU beds with everyone on a vent by the weekend", you can imagine that's a bit worrisome.
Just talked to my daughter who is an ICU RN at one of the major KC hospitals and she is getting scared. Not for getting the virus which she thinks she already has but because the hospitals aren't prepared for this and they don't have enough protective gear, supplies or equipment.

Most of the nurses in KC are part of the union so there has been alot of fighting with management going on. Management is telling them don't need much protective gear etc.

They haven't had to many patients yet though.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 08:59 PM 03-18-2020
My thoughts don't mean a whole lot, but here's what I do know:
1) Therapeutic approaches are showing to work for patients with the disease
2) A vaccine is likely in the next year or so (and hopefully we can get phase 3 trials to vaccinate a lot of at-risk folks, though I'm not sure how you'd do a placebo control in such a trial)
3) The military will not stage a coup d'etat on the citizens of this country. Just won't happen.
4) Nobody wants a full collapse of our economic system, least of all Trump in an election year (I think that's a safe, apolitical statement, right?). Some type of basic income WILL happen, and I'm confident it'll be extended for as long and as often as these quarantines/isolations are necessary.
5) They just imposed a moratorium on evictions through end-April and I also expect that to last a bit longer (at least in some capacity).
6) We are the country best suited for this to happen to, economically-- as selfish as it is, people will not risk losing the US market.
7) Grocery stores are doing okay, albeit struggling to restock after this initial surge of haording. Those stores, and thus their suppliers, are seeing UNPRECEDENTED sales right now (Trader Joe's is considering giving ALL its employees bonuses). The people making the food, moving the food, and selling the food are all still very much in business.
8) Americans-- and people in general-- have made it through WAY worse times... Great Depression, famines... Humans are resilient creatures, it's why we've survived and thrived so long and often through incredibly difficult circumstances.
I have never seen so many people out on our streets as I did today. Lots of smiles and jokes about how crazy this all is (my neighbors had a social distance happy hour, each on their own lawn). You might say that'll change-- but we've gone through worse and not descended into chaos.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:03 PM 03-18-2020
Meet Dr. Anthony Fauci, the U.S. coronavirus point man who helped save the world from AIDS

Dr. Fauci graduated top of his class from Cornell Med.

He has worked for Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, GW Bush, Obama & Trump.

He has fought AIDS, Ebola, Zika & Covid-19.

Last year, he saved a woman in DC who fell ill during jury.

And he still runs at 79.

https://news.yahoo.com/meet-dr-antho...090023622.html
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:07 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
preparing is a specific word in a hospital. That the public doesn’t receive the same way.

It’s breaking news that the Trump admin is preparing for this to last 18-24 months. That doesn’t mean they are expecting it to last 18-24 months, just preparing, just in case.

Hospitals should be preparing and acting like they are going to be at capacity. It’s no longer some hypothetical drills. It’s break glass time.
You should give it some context when posting it here then, since it is specific to hospitals. Otherwise it reads like a click bait headline.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this before reading Bearcat's response to your post. Not trying to pile on.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:08 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
As others have noted, I'm not sure cases is as important as the ratio of cases that become critical cases, and then critical cases to deaths.
This ratio is important to provide context/clarity for the increase in cases.

How many of the new cases are people with minor/no symptoms? Without testing, these people would have no idea they had the virus.

Before the increased testing these minor cases were not identified and would not be included in previous case counts.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:13 PM 03-18-2020

They’re dangerously short on supplies. Her entire floor, roughly 30 people, was given two boxes of masks for a total of 100. The hospital has told them they need to make them last for at least two weeks. That’s roughly 3.33 masks per health worker 2/6

— Evan Siegfried (@evansiegfried) March 19, 2020

This is so ****ed. We've known we needed masks for over a month. How is it impossible to do something about that? Have we lost the ability to produce anything?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:16 PM 03-18-2020
Relax, it'll pass!
[Reply]
Bwana 09:20 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
They’re dangerously short on supplies. Her entire floor, roughly 30 people, was given two boxes of masks for a total of 100. The hospital has told them they need to make them last for at least two weeks. That’s roughly 3.33 masks per health worker 2/6
— Evan Siegfried (@evansiegfried) March 19, 2020

This is so ****ed. We've known we needed masks for over a month. How is it impossible to do something about that? Have we lost the ability to produce anything?
There are lessons to be learned from all this for sure. I had no idea until this all happened that 90% of the antibiotics we have here in the US are made in China, that's BS. We need to fix that ASAP.
[Reply]
SupDock 09:20 PM 03-18-2020

Multiple places are in desparate need

Also, healthcare facilities have had supplies stolen
[Reply]
lewdog 09:20 PM 03-18-2020

Not a hospital but I work in a skilled nursing rehab facility. 60-70 patients at a time with most of those beds being patients who rehab for about 2 weeks before returning home.

We are running out of all Personal Protective Equipment and the orders aren't being filled. We had our transportation drivers going to Walmart, CVS, Target, etc.....looking to buy sanitizer, bleach and hydrogen peroxide today. We are almost to the point of needing to make our own disinfectant. We are down to 50 masks total. It is very scary not to have supplies to protect yourself or your staff.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:24 PM 03-18-2020
Is this still on the same trend line?

Reported US coronavirus cases in March via @CNN:

3/1: 89
3/2: 105
3/3: 125
3/4: 159
3/5: 227
3/6: 331
3/7: 444
3/8: 564
3/9: 728
3/10: 1,000
3/11: 1,267
3/12: 1,645
3/13: 2,204
3/14: 2,826
3/15: 3,505
3/16: 4,466
3/17: 6,135
Now: 8,760

— Ryan Struyk (@ryanstruyk) March 19, 2020

[Reply]
SupDock 09:24 PM 03-18-2020
https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/hospit...irus-shortage/

They are not using the handcrafted PPE yet, but are close to it
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:24 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
There are lessons to be learned from all this for sure. I had no idea until this all happened that 90% of the antibiotics we have here in the US are made in China, that's BS. We need to fix that ASAP.
I imagine (hope) we see a lot of manufacturing jobs coming home, it will take some time getting things up and running.
[Reply]
Page 441 of 3903
« First < 341391431437438439440441 4424434444454514915419411441 > Last »
Up