ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1597 of 3903
« First < 597109714971547158715931594159515961597 159815991600160116071647169720972597 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:47 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
This came from???
The New Mexican Ocean
[Reply]
petegz28 08:48 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Sharks. Watch out for the sharks.
Sand sharks in particular....
[Reply]
limested 08:48 PM 04-22-2020
That comment was after I said you were wrong. You and 88 need to go have a reach around together.
[Reply]
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
The New Mexican Ocean
Werd. I hear you have to book a couple years out to get a decent room.
[Reply]
Originally Posted by limested:
That comment was after I said you were wrong. You and 88 need to go have a reach around together.
Sure...
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:48 PM 04-22-2020
I wanted to know so I could go......AZ beaches I hear are the bomb!!
California hasn't fallen off yet.

Puerto Peņasco/Rocky Point is the closest and sometimes called Arizona's beach, just across the border by an hour.
[Reply]
CrazyPhuD 09:01 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I would suggest that using South Korea as your barometer isn't reasonable given that practicality no one has done as well as they have.
The problem with the logic there is that South Korea is also effectively an island. Islands are worlds easier to secure. We could do all the contact tracing in the world and we're still unlikely to stop the spread(other than shutting everything down for 12-18 months). Why?

Simply put South and Latin America will probably be badly screwed by this. Let's suppose we open up and have awesome contact tracing and testing. Sounds good, but won't be enough, because if Latin/South america get punished by this, illegal immigration to the US will skyrocket. It will be for two reasons, to get away from what ever pandemic is in their country and hoping if they get sick in the US they at least have a chance at treatment.

While this sounds political my intent isn't, those groups will be much lower likelyhood to get tested and to honestly report who they've been in contact with. Contact tracing and testing will break down there.

That's the huge advantage with being an island they can lock down boarders in ways that no land borders will be.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:15 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Clay County cant even properly run their own commission. We would be royally ****ed if we ever listened to them. You should run for office up there you'd fit right in.
Or perhaps you should so you could set them straight? You might have to move out of the basement but it's a step I am sure you're well overdue to take.
Would you two please stop it?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:40 PM 04-22-2020
Until they change laws and what not, no it won't.

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Only if we are dumb enough to allow it...
911 radically changed both our laws and our social expectations.

If society is basically back to normal by summer, may be not.

But it seems plausible that daily life is still going to be revolving around the virus six months from now.

If (and there are lots of unknowns in that if) that is the case, I think it will change society, and our laws, just like 911.

I didn't like the changes after 911 and I'm not cheerleading for them now. But I could see it happening.
[Reply]
kpic 02:37 AM 04-23-2020
Thought I would share a real-world example here (as opposed to DC where not sure what would happen to a post)

Work in a considered "essential" field in a developmentally disabled facility. Not going to go into too much details concerning all of this but the numbers are no secret, they are out there - but still not sure where the ethical lines are here for this so I'll be as basic as possible (sorry!)

There is no social distancing here, the population I work with doesn't understand that, PPE and\or washing yourself - so this is of course an extreme case.

Covid hit about 3 weeks or so ago, prior to that and continued all employees get some questions and temp in and then temp out.

For the residents; we have about 30+ and counting (out of "about" 300-400, yes I know the exact but again I'll give you a rough idea rather than being specific). Of those 30+ positive cases we have "officially" 2 dead (possibly 3), now a few of those if they caught a bad flu or anything else they were likely not going to make it, 1 was really a surprise, thought that person was pretty healthy. The fatal are all up there in age.

Employees; PPE is basically working pretty well, about 16+ positive but most of that were direct contact prior to knowing who had what and who you were working with.

My overall thoughts are that it seems very virulent in this type setting of course, I have been working for over 30 years in this field and I think I can only recall one really, really bad flu season in that time that spreads like this thing and once it hits it seems to hit pretty hard (on this population anyway) so everything you heard about those aspects I think are correct.

I have a friend who watches this stuff all over the news with the numbers etc. I tell him to relax, I really think in the general population you'd have to be unlucky, doing something you weren't supposed to be and\or careless or a little of each to get this thing - now having underlying conditions would of course be a problem and you won't see me going to any large gatherings for a long while but the average person who is shutting in and so-on will be fine I think, yes I think some of this is being overblown for the average person but I understand hospitals could be overrun in certain areas if not careful.

If there are any other follow-up questions I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can.
[Reply]
loochy 04:47 AM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by kpic:
Thought I would share a real-world example here (as opposed to DC where not sure what would happen to a post)

Work in a considered "essential" field in a developmentally disabled facility. Not going to go into too much details concerning all of this but the numbers are no secret, they are out there - but still not sure where the ethical lines are here for this so I'll be as basic as possible (sorry!)

There is no social distancing here, the population I work with doesn't understand that, PPE and\or washing yourself - so this is of course an extreme case.

Covid hit about 3 weeks or so ago, prior to that and continued all employees get some questions and temp in and then temp out.

For the residents; we have about 30+ and counting (out of "about" 300-400, yes I know the exact but again I'll give you a rough idea rather than being specific). Of those 30+ positive cases we have "officially" 2 dead (possibly 3), now a few of those if they caught a bad flu or anything else they were likely not going to make it, 1 was really a surprise, thought that person was pretty healthy. The fatal are all up there in age.

Employees; PPE is basically working pretty well, about 16+ positive but most of that were direct contact prior to knowing who had what and who you were working with.

My overall thoughts are that it seems very virulent in this type setting of course, I have been working for over 30 years in this field and I think I can only recall one really, really bad flu season in that time that spreads like this thing and once it hits it seems to hit pretty hard (on this population anyway) so everything you heard about those aspects I think are correct.

I have a friend who watches this stuff all over the news with the numbers etc. I tell him to relax, I really think in the general population you'd have to be unlucky, doing something you weren't supposed to be and\or careless or a little of each to get this thing - now having underlying conditions would of course be a problem and you won't see me going to any large gatherings for a long while but the average person who is shutting in and so-on will be fine I think, yes I think some of this is being overblown for the average person but I understand hospitals could be overrun in certain areas if not careful.

If there are any other follow-up questions I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can.
You must quit with this reasonableness. Only extremeness is allowed here on CP.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 06:41 AM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by kpic:

We need more mongering, bro. These real life balanced takes aren't acceptable here.

Serously though, your post sounds pretty much in line with the numbers. I appreciate the input!
[Reply]
TLO 07:28 AM 04-23-2020
A couple articles out there today of this thing causing people in their 30s and 40s to have strokes.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/doctor...-young-adults/
[Reply]
TLO 07:30 AM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
A couple articles out there today of this thing causing people in their 30s and 40s to have strokes.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/doctor...-young-adults/
But then again, from that article

Originally Posted by :
Oxley and his colleagues said they typically record fewer than two strokes per month in people under the age of 50, but in a two-week period during the pandemic, they treated five. Their findings are to be published in a letter in the New England Journal of Medicine.

[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:36 AM 04-23-2020
I try to skim past the normal daily bickering so I'm not sure if this was posted.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/possi...ATon31Ohs9VaYk
[Reply]
Page 1597 of 3903
« First < 597109714971547158715931594159515961597 159815991600160116071647169720972597 > Last »
Up