ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1485 of 3903
« First < 48598513851435147514811482148314841485 148614871488148914951535158519852485 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lewdog 12:32 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
No, but you should be extremely careful, which I'm sure you will, when it does open back up and they should have policy in place to make sure you are accommodated as needed in the interim.
I work in healthcare and cannot work from home.

I appreciate social distancing for this reason compared to the dumbass I quoted. Plenty of us are working in harms way and this isn’t about only fat people dying from this. It’s hard to imagine such ignorance on this topic but sure enough we’ve got a clear poster who might be the biggest dumbass on the entire board.
[Reply]
Bwana 12:32 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Is this a record?
I'm sure it is.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:33 PM 04-17-2020
With 592,000 active cases without a death or recovery yet. I don't quite understand the model that some are reporting saying we won't have more than 60k deaths.

We know deaths lag behind, and even the reporting of deaths lag another week or so sometimes. How on earth is anyone getting 60k? Unless the entire population is now getting tested and an exponential amount of the active cases are asymptomatic then such a report is quite puzzling to me.

As we know, in USA, our reported cases by far and large are the bad ones that show significant symptoms and many hospitalization. These numbers don't include 22 year old Skylar sitting at home playing video games while having it.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:34 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
22. We administered chloroquine to 18 out of the 22, but they all perished anyway.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, that was a joke.
:-)
[Reply]
TLO 12:35 PM 04-17-2020
Now BAWAN is talking about lines..

[Reply]
TLO 12:39 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I work in healthcare and cannot work from home.

I appreciate social distancing for this reason compared to the dumbass I quoted. Plenty of us are working in harms way and this isn’t about only fat people dying from this. It’s hard to imagine such ignorance on this topic but sure enough we’ve got a clear poster who might be the biggest dumbass on the entire board.
In the same boat with you. I work with a population that is very vulnerable as it is. Not to mention that I worry about the health of myself and my family.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:41 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I take good care of myself, have never smoked, but have asthma. This is concerning for me and Coronavirus.

**** me though right?!
Yes! But for other reasons and not the ones stated :-)
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:41 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Now BAWAN is talking about lines..

Lines of cocaine are fine.. What's more important is that he isn't eating or drinking too much sugar in his diet.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:50 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
New York City probably has fewer than 100 people under the age of 45 die of the flu annually, which I'm guessing is hamas's point.

Well no, because you were off responding to the random appearance by a Mike Maslowski fan's post concerning the number of NYC deaths as a percentage of the NYC population.

If NYC reported ~118,000 cases as of yesterday and the under 45 population is 56% of the total, then confirmed cases in the under 45 population "should" be about 65,900 and I say "should" as in "that's understating by a huge amount."

If that's the accurate count of cases, then 0.5% of people infected by C-19 have died. I'd bet no other commonly communicable disease gets to the point of killing 1 out of every 200 people under the age of 45. If that death rate were extrapolated to the entire USA, then it's a few tenths of a percent higher than the annual car crash mortality rate for that same age group.

Odds are though there aren't 65,900 people under the age of 45 infected by C-19 in New York. It's probably triple that and then the 347 of that tripled amount of cases is about 0.18%. Does that match any other easily communicable disease? I'll go ahead and assume the answer is no.

But making sure it's fewer than 1 out of every 200 or 550 people in any particular age demographic dying from C-19 hasn't been main motivation as has been said from public health officials. The motivation is to prevent an overload of health care resources (particularly intensive care) by C-19 patients to the detriment of health care providers themselves and other patients needing those same resources. Ideally, more lives are saved with the efforts taken than they would have without since the broader health care system remains able to operate, yes, but not people specifically with C-19.

Have we succeeded at this? I say no. At the moment, most areas have prevented an overload of C-19 cases in their local health care systems. Key phrase being "at the moment." If C-19 is as easily transmissibleand yields X amount of deaths for every N of cases, then there has been no appreciable effort to ready the resources to accommodate an influx of cases. Manufacturers pivoted to create ventilators, but in this layman's opinion, I'd wager (if I didn't have such bad luck in that regard lately) that we're going to find out that intubating people makes as much sense as trepanating someone with a sinus headache but whatever. The medical conventional wisdom says ventilators are the last line of defense so I'll give us that so far.

But have we made efforts in many densely populated areas to isolate and treat C-19 cases outside of typical hospitals, meaning there's still a risk that a spike of cases will overload that area's health system? No. And to me, again as someone who isn't bearing a MPH degree and definitely isn't paid to be in a role with that type of competency, that should have been the top-down goal across the country. Testing and tracing? As a layman, it doesn't seem like testing matters barring some sort of miracle device that tells if one within 15 minutes of being test that they are infected with better than 68% certainty of a positive read AND HAS A negligible amount of false negatives.. and such a test must be used for that one person multiple times per day. Tracing? That seems more feasible but will necessitate an abrogation of civil liberties somewhere along the line, which means there isn't a point of me discussing this further in this thread.

So given we are still, at this moment, are perpetually 14 days away from a cascade failure of our health care systems across the country, the question then becomes "how long will 'shelter in place' mandates stay in effect?" Seems to me that the answer is "until there is a vaccine" and to me, that's not an answer since there isn't a guarantee a vaccine will even be effective in the first place.
Your post is thoughtful, but deaths lag far behind infections, so your math actually depresses the fatality rate.

Even if the fatality rate were only 0.18 across the board, you'd still need over 480,000 deaths to reach herd immunity if the R0 is 5.7.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:51 PM 04-17-2020
Is this a record?
I'm sure it beats 2nd place by 15 or more... I glanced at several threads with the most responses ever and couldn't find more than 3 in a single thread (granted, this functionality is relatively new). I'm guessing there are a few out there with upwards of 5.
[Reply]
notorious 12:52 PM 04-17-2020
Is this a record?
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I'm sure it is.

[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:54 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It means it’s more infectious than we thought so the number to get to herd immunity is higher. So basically the more vulnerable are fucked

I don’t agree it automatically means it’s more infectious than thought. It could simply mean it’s been there longer than widely reported. It could also mean that the initial estimates, based on high infectious estimates, of millions of people getting infected aren’t as far off as they have looked recently. Which would imply more than anything the estimates of severity are what is shown to be wrong with these numbers.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 01:01 PM 04-17-2020
Coronavirus began months earlier and not in Wuhan, bombshell UK report claims.......

" Everything we thought we knew about the beginnings of the coronavirus pandemic could be wrong.

A bombshell report by scientists from the University of Cambridge has cast doubt on previous beliefs about when and where Covid-19 first broke out.

While coronavirus was previously believed to have originated in a wet market in Wuhan at the end of last year, new research suggests it may have actually came from further south – and began spreading among humans as early as September 2019.

The team of researchers has published its extraordinary findings – which have yet to be peer-reviewed – in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, outlining a "network" of infections that has thrown existing knowledge into doubt."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...r-not-21882132
[Reply]
petegz28 01:05 PM 04-17-2020
I'm feeling pretty proud of myself today though in my mind I was just doing my job. Apparently our health system is getting a ton of praise and good messages for us providing our isolated patients with iPads and the ability for them to visit with their families.

In case people don't know, it's not just Covid patients being isolated. Right now we have Dads not being able to see their children be born or other family members able to visit their loved ones for non-covid related issues.

I was informed yesterday and again today that the efforts to get this solution out are receiving some excellent feedback from patients and their families.

I went through a couple weeks of chaos trying to get this all worked out with our management and leadership teams and it's nice to see how much that has benefited people and their families.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 01:08 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
With 592,000 active cases without a death or recovery yet. I don't quite understand the model that some are reporting saying we won't have more than 60k deaths.

We know deaths lag behind, and even the reporting of deaths lag another week or so sometimes. How on earth is anyone getting 60k? Unless the entire population is now getting tested and an exponential amount of the active cases are asymptomatic then such a report is quite puzzling to me.

As we know, in USA, our reported cases by far and large are the bad ones that show significant symptoms and many hospitalization. These numbers don't include 22 year old Skylar sitting at home playing video games while having it.
I don't think recoveries are being tracked accurately if at all in some cases. Our county seems to be doing a good job of tracking, but I'm not so sure of the others.
[Reply]
Page 1485 of 3903
« First < 48598513851435147514811482148314841485 148614871488148914951535158519852485 > Last »
Up