ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1389 of 3903
« First < 38988912891339137913851386138713881389 139013911392139313991439148918892389 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 05:55 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
If we have testing, treatments, enough vents and beds then starting to open things could/?should? happen. That's my layman's thought. People still need to social distance, wash, sterilize and wash again. Use curbside pickup. Wear masks and be conscious of the vulnerable and keep them safe. Society can't stay locked up for much longer though.
Again, I just think it'll be fascinating to watch. The cause and effect will be delayed but obvious. If a state starts "opening it up" and then sees hundreds of people dying while others don't, it's going to create a lot of crazy points of discussion about the value of a human life. I'm kind of excited about it (ignoring the whole people dying thing).
[Reply]
TLO 05:56 PM 04-14-2020
Ok now I really am done. I cried a little, and I smell shameful, but I feel better.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:58 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Again, I just think it'll be fascinating to watch. The cause and effect will be delayed but obvious. If a state starts "opening it up" and then sees hundreds of people dying while others don't, it's going to create a lot of crazy points of discussion about the value of a human life. I'm kind of excited about it (ignoring the whole people dying thing).
Ok if I watch it all from up here, for science.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:00 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Ok if I watch it all from up here, for science.
I'd tell you you could come watch from Colorado with me (no way in hell will we be opening things up quickly), but you know...social distancing and all.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:00 PM 04-14-2020
Pursuit of happiness vs death mitigation
[Reply]
patteeu 06:01 PM 04-14-2020
That would be pretty bad if it made people even more afraid to return to work than they will be the first time. Hopefully the opposite will happen. Less fascinating, but better for us all in the long run, I think. I'm sure we're not really disagreeing here though.
[Reply]
philfree 06:02 PM 04-14-2020
Yeah. The definition of "life" has different meanings to different people. Being locked up isn't a life at all for lots of people. For others just waking up and taking a breath is a great day.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:02 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Pursuit of happiness vs death mitigation
Can people be happy when their neighbors are dying?

(That's meant to be a legitimate question - not being facetious.)
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:03 PM 04-14-2020
WAPO supposedly has a bombshell coming out about where the virus came from....
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 06:04 PM 04-14-2020
Wasn't the whole point not to over run the hospitals? How close are we to that now?
[Reply]
TLO 06:04 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
WAPO supposedly has a bombshell coming out about where the virus came from....
Any more details?
[Reply]
TLO 06:05 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Wasn't the whole point not to over run the hospitals? How close are we to that now?
I think it depends on what area of the country you're in.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:05 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
That would be pretty bad if it made people even more afraid to return to work than they will be the first time. Hopefully the opposite will happen. Less fascinating, but better for us all in the long run, I think. I'm sure we're not really disagreeing here though.
I don't really have a "point" I'm trying to make. Just thinking through what seems like one of the biggest and most societally-impactful decisions of our lifetimes. If this is all overblown, some states are going to be left behind economically. If it's not, other states are going to see dramatic death tolls.

There aren't easy answers. I just think it's intellectually fascinating to have such a huge A/B test. Economists are going to study this for decades.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:07 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Step 1: Don't overrun hospitals.
Step 2: Keep the spread low until vaccines and treatments can be developed and until PPE supplies can be replenished.

#1 is within reach for many areas of the country (though I wouldn't go declaring victory just yet). #2 is a long way off.
[Reply]
RustShack 06:07 PM 04-14-2020
What if we made it mandatory to wear a mask when you go to the grocery store or where ever else. Yeah it’s not 100% in preventing you from getting it, but it’s pretty big on preventing you spreading it.

Just an idea, I don’t know enough to say if doing that for two weeks-a month would work, just throwing out an idea. Things probably have to get a little more extreme to fully work, otherwise everything so far was just a waste of time because it will just start up again.
[Reply]
Page 1389 of 3903
« First < 38988912891339137913851386138713881389 139013911392139313991439148918892389 > Last »
Up