ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1378 of 3903
« First < 37887812781328136813741375137613771378 137913801381138213881428147818782378 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:17 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Some even get pulled years later after being approved.
Yes, and not many people know why.

There are actually four phases to clinical trials. You get approved after Phase III, but the fourth phase (the silent phase) is called post-marketing surveillance. Because of the nature of clinical trials, you cannot enroll enough patients to detect truly rare outcomes of certain drug therapies. Thus, after a drug has been on market, serious and novel adverse effects are reported to the FDA to catch more of these in its net as the sample size of patients increases. Eventually, you build enough data to have a better understanding of the drug's effects on all aspects of the population rather than the much more limited scope offered by even multicenter Phase III trials.

A great example: terfenadine was a non-sedating antihistamine that was metabolized in the body to fexofenadine (Allegra). The metabolite is not toxic, but terfenadine blocks a potassium channel which leads to arrhythmia. If used in combination with other CYP3A4 enzyme inhibitors, that effect is increased and can lead to life threatening arrhythmias. As a result, it was pulled of the market years later, but it would have been difficult to catch that in a Phase III.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:17 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
School will have to start in Fall or things will get bad.

Our local small school is at 99% participation rate using online learning and packets. The large schools in the surrounding area are at 25% and 15%.

Different cultures, but good lord that's abysmal.
That is fucking horrible
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:18 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sorry if a repost:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/healt...ing/index.html

(CNN)On Friday, Dr. Mangala Narasimhan received an urgent call. A man in his 40s with Covid-19 was in a dire situation, and her colleague wanted her to come the intensive care unit at Long Island Jewish Hospital to see if he needed to be put on life support.

Before I come over there, Narasimhan told the other doctor, try turning the patient over onto his stomach and see if that helps.

Narasimhan didn't need to go the ICU. The flip worked.

Doctors are finding that placing the sickest coronavirus patients on their stomachs -- called prone positioning - helps increase the amount of oxygen that's getting to their lungs.

"We're saving lives with this, one hundred percent," said Narasimhan, the regional director for critical care at Northwell Health, which owns 23 hospitals in New York. "It's such a simple thing to do, and we've seen remarkable improvement. We can see it for every single patient."
Originally Posted by O.city:
Well that's great news.
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I mean they have been using this method most likely from the start, it is not new science they discovered this week so would mostly likely not change our trajectory since it was already common practice.
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I am sure they have....
I posted a couple of lengthy posts just a couple of pages back on how we were doing this 20+ years ago. This is a well known option.

If these Dotors are just now using this technique they are ****ing idiots need to lose their license. This would be a level of incompetence akin to a patient is short of breath, but don't give them some oxygen. This is a 100% agreed to step by the medical community. a no-doubt decision.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:18 PM 04-14-2020
I think it’s safe to say the weekend numbers usually bring monday down also.

Death numbers are up almost across the board today. 90+ in nj yesterday 360+ today. louisiana 44 and 129...
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:19 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Enjoyment? No.

An end to the bullshit based on nothing more than politics?

Yes.

You are going to have perform quite the spin to go from trying certain medications to treat this in the hopes it works to it being purely politically motivated.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:19 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I posted a couple of lengthy posts just a couple of pages back on how we were doing this 20+ years ago.

If these Dotors are just now using this technique they are fucking idiots need to lose their license. This would be a level of incompetence akin to a patient is short of breath, but don't give them some oxygen. This should be a 100% no-doubt decision.
yeah you just repeated what one of your quoted posts said...
[Reply]
O.city 12:20 PM 04-14-2020
Other than Italy, has anyone had their hospitals overrun?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:22 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
You are going to have perform quite the spin to go from trying certain medications to treat this in the hopes it works to it being purely politically motivated.
I don't even understand the meaning of the sentence.

Most people were waiting for a response from Clinical Trials as to the efficacy of Plaquenil and a Zpac, while others were pushing it because of political agenda.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:29 PM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Other than Italy, has anyone had their hospitals overrun?

I'm sure China did till they started disappearing people
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:33 PM 04-14-2020

Most people were waiting for a response from Clinical Trials as to the efficacy of Plaquenil and a Zpac, while others were pushing it because of political agenda.

Some people surely have political agendas with it as some people unfortunately factor those in to almost everything they do or think. But these particular studies and hopes are not solely based in politics as you seemed to suggest.
[Reply]
O.city 12:45 PM 04-14-2020
https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/...581031428?s=21

Interesting read

This would make sense and be similar to what Hamas was talking about in regards to the angiotensin pathway iirc
[Reply]
SupDock 12:47 PM 04-14-2020
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/mir...inst-covid-19/

Some politics in the post, I apologise.

Michigan Medicine just changed its guidelines on prescribing these drugs. There’s a lot of excitement about whether these already existing options for malaria could be useful in COVID-19, but so far that excitement hasn’t materialized in patient care data.

“Our infectious disease division and our antimicrobial pharmacists have reviewed all the available data and we found no convincing evidence that these drugs were effective in treating people with COVID-19,” Kaul says.

That’s consistent with what’s been observed firsthand in Michigan Medicine’s hospitals.

“We haven’t seen any clear evidence of benefit so we aren’t going to use hydroxychloroquine routinely anymore,” Chopra says. “We were initially recommending it to both inpatients and outpatients, but we’re no longer doing that routinely. That’s based upon the fact that we’ve been prescribing hydroxychloroquine for a few weeks, did not see therapeutic benefit, but did see adverse effects.”
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:50 PM 04-14-2020
Public service announcement:
If you have asthma or COPD and use an albuterol inhaler for acute Shortness of breath or maintenance, I'd recommend you get stocked up on your inhalers ASAP. Get a couple of months supply if you dont already have that much in your possession.
[Reply]
Fish 12:50 PM 04-14-2020
Wow. Manhattan, KS just canceled summer. I wonder if other KS cities will follow...

Manhattan is also making other changes to reduce costs:
- Cancel the 2020 swimming pool season
- Cancel the 2020 youth and adult sports leagues
- Cancel parks and recreation sponsored camps, activities and events
- The Arts in the Parks concert season cancelled
- Continued closure of City facilities and attractions to the public
- Delaying some planning and infrastructure projects
- Eliminating travel and reducing training budgets
- Selective hiring freeze of new employees

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Ma...569626821.html
[Reply]
patteeu 12:54 PM 04-14-2020

You mean a political agenda of saving lives?
[Reply]
Page 1378 of 3903
« First < 37887812781328136813741375137613771378 137913801381138213881428147818782378 > Last »
Up